Slow Season - RIP?

jerseyduke

Home is just where you stay when not at WDW
Was just down at The World for the week of 12/10. For the past 6 years, I have gone down for 1 week (or more), after Thanksgiving, and before Christmas. The weeks have varied. Last year it was the same week (week of 12/11/16). This year, the crowds were, I would say without exaggerating, double what they have been in the previous 5 years. Most everywhere you turned the lines were in the neighborhood of an hour.

Last year I was there the week after Labor Day, same this year. This year was noticeably more crowded, however not double. 4 days at the end of September this year were busier than the same week last year (again, not double, just noticeable).

But this December trip totally threw me, I was in awe. I know it is what Disney wants, but if that is the new norm....

Luckily it is a small group for me, with an annual pass, and DVC, etc, so it is not an overly expensive vacation (excluding the upfront purchase). One person I spoke with said "I can not believe I am paying thousands of dollars to wait on lines". Another woman and her daughter were on their first trip and said (about the studios) this place has more stores than attractions(of course half the park is closed...).

I wonder if it is a cyclical thing; will people get turned off by it being that crowed during 'non-premium' times? One thing I can say...I think DIS can raise ticket prices, and cut cash room discounts, and be just fine.

Anyway, of course the trip was enjoyable. Just way more crowded than I am used to.

I think the term "slow season" will soon be a thing of the past. With many school districts going to a year round schooling calendar and also many people home schooling, the traditional busy times for families are now being more spread out!

My DH and I just did a 4-night DCL cruise Dec. 11-15 and I was very surprised how many school age children were on the ship that close to Christmas break.

I don't see it slowing down unless the economy tanks (which that does run in cycles and will happen again, just a matter of when). We all got spoiled the few years after 9/11 and going into the recession when travel was down in general but there was also like very little new stuff opening as well.

I was there 12/2 to 12/8, managed pretty well with fastpasses, really no long lines. My main advice during party season (Halloween & Christmas) is do not go to MK on a non-party day. We did MK Sunday, Tuesday (MVMCP), Thursday and it wasn't that bad. We did go Wednesday night for Happily Ever After and didn't end up seeing it because Main Street was closed. I was able to pull same day fastpasses for the big rides by continually refreshing the app for a few minutes. Just keep going back and forth between the times at the top to refresh. Got Flight of Passage, Navi, 7DMT, TSMM, ToT, Soarin. There were only 2 of us so that made it easier. Had a great time, great weather.

We were there 12/1 to 12/11, and our only bad day was the MK on the 10th.

DHS was disappointing in that TSMM was down for our FP time, and we never went back. We are going for NYE and have another chance to see the night Christmas decorations there. I did like the Christmas tree location on Echo Lake, thought that made a pretty picture.

Nice to hear the previous week was not bad! I am going the first week of December next year. I am hoping it was an exception, not the new norm.
I do not know if Star Wars Opening added to the crowds. Also with the cold front that moved through, the weather was not the best - needed a jacket quite a few days - certainly not awful, but no one used the pools - don't know how many more people that puts into the parks.

As I have posted, there isn't any slow times anymore. If attendance is down, they close the parks early, if you want to vacation during a holiday, you will have to pay extra for a party ticket. Last week the MK closed at 4:00 for a CM party, just think if you came for your vacation and the one park that you wanted to visit closed at 4:00.

:earsboy: Bill

Rescheduled Hurricane vacations + Pop Warner + Avatarland = crowded. I was there Dec 5 to 13. The Avatar flight ride had a 3 hour wait at one point. I decided to skip it and do it next time.

Was just down at The World for the week of 12/10. For the past 6 years, I have gone down for 1 week (or more), after Thanksgiving, and before Christmas. The weeks have varied. Last year it was the same week (week of 12/11/16). This year, the crowds were, I would say without exaggerating, double what they have been in the previous 5 years. Most everywhere you turned the lines were in the neighborhood of an hour.

Last year I was there the week after Labor Day, same this year. This year was noticeably more crowded, however not double. 4 days at the end of September this year were busier than the same week last year (again, not double, just noticeable).

But this December trip totally threw me, I was in awe. I know it is what Disney wants, but if that is the new norm....

Luckily it is a small group for me, with an annual pass, and DVC, etc, so it is not an overly expensive vacation (excluding the upfront purchase). One person I spoke with said "I can not believe I am paying thousands of dollars to wait on lines". Another woman and her daughter were on their first trip and said (about the studios) this place has more stores than attractions(of course half the park is closed...).

I wonder if it is a cyclical thing; will people get turned off by it being that crowed during 'non-premium' times? One thing I can say...I think DIS can raise ticket prices, and cut cash room discounts, and be just fine.

Anyway, of course the trip was enjoyable. Just way more crowded than I am used to.
The current slower seasons are:

Midwinter: mid-Jan through February, except for holiday weekends, and

Midsummer, except for July 4th

Last edited:
Yes it was more crowded than I ever remember in the beginning of December. This was the first time I was in MK and heard over a loud speaker that the viewing area is full. Stay where you are to watch.
Never heard it before but heard it every day we were in MK.

People find the crowd calendars and the guidebooks, and they still say fall is great. So they all come in fall, and fall is less great.

I will say that early May once you clear Easter if it is late is usually okay. Too early for school to be out for most districts.

You have no idea how glad I am to read this. Was our first time (arrived 12/9, and were in parks every day through 12/15). I told my wife "if this is slow season, I don't want to see the 'busy season'" after our first day at MK (12/10). Monday at Epcot wasn't horrible. Tuesday was just a day from hell, from our own doing (early morning at Be Our Guest, along with FP's, then tried to escape for a nap before returning for the party and dinner at the Royal Table). Wed. was ok at Hollywood, but busy. AK thursday was not terrible, but "busy" enough. Friday at Epcot was pretty busy...we luckily had FP's and ended up with 3 more FP's due to DVC tour, and got to hop over to MK for a ride or two before Disney Springs.

The whole time, I was in awe of the mass of humanity, and was shocked so many said it was the "slow season".

That said, this 41 year old had the time of his life after finally taking a vacation with the kids. I can't wait to get back (and even priced out a vacation to return....next week).

You have no idea how glad I am to read this. Was our first time (arrived 12/9, and were in parks every day through 12/15). I told my wife "if this is slow season, I don't want to see the 'busy season'" after our first day at MK (12/10). Monday at Epcot wasn't horrible. Tuesday was just a day from hell, from our own doing (early morning at Be Our Guest, along with FP's, then tried to escape for a nap before returning for the party and dinner at the Royal Table). Wed. was ok at Hollywood, but busy. AK thursday was not terrible, but "busy" enough. Friday at Epcot was pretty busy...we luckily had FP's and ended up with 3 more FP's due to DVC tour, and got to hop over to MK for a ride or two before Disney Springs.

The whole time, I was in awe of the mass of humanity, and was shocked so many said it was the "slow season".

That said, this 41 year old had the time of his life after finally taking a vacation with the kids. I can't wait to get back (and even priced out a vacation to return....next week).

Whomever is still saying that early December is a slow time isn't really looking at current numbers. It's been years since I'd have called it a slow time. It's not a holiday but it's not slow.

I was down during food and wine and thought the crowds were completely insane. I actually left Epcot early one day and went to Old town.

We were at Disneyland the first week of Dec. and it was very crowded there too. We usually go that time of year and more crowded then I remember.
We go to WDW beginning of Dec. next year. I am counting on it not being low crowds like we are used to.

We were at Disneyland the first week of Dec. and it was very crowded there too. We usually go that time of year and more crowded then I remember.
We go to WDW beginning of Dec. next year. I am counting on it not being low crowds like we are used to.
We should see you then!

I guess that's why I love my DVC. Last vacation I did considerably less rides than usual for me, now I never enter a line if it's more than 20-30 minutes. Since I know I'll be back soon I won't stress if I cannot do or repeat a ride. I just enjoy being in the parks and starting to enjoy the resort more: an afternoon break is mandatory except on resort switch day for a split stay.

I was there 12/13-12/17 and I agree the crowds felt significantly higher than usual for this time of year.

The increase in popularity of crowd calendars, a good economy, tiered ticket pricing and Disney running promotions for low seasons have all contributed to increased/ spread out crowds.

As for F&W I say forget it at this point. The booths are nice but not worth putting up with the hoards of people. I would much rather go at a slower time and enjoy the atmosphere, but then again I live in NYC and am spoiled by having any cuisine I want at my fingertips, so it’s not as unique an experience for me :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter