• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Small CM update, brief park report + park pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Arrived at around 7:00 for a 9:00 park opening yesterday. The family immediately behind us in line said that security told them they were the absolute first DL guests to have their strollers measured to ensure they met the new rules. Fortunately for them, it was small enough to be brought in.

Made rope drop and was first in line for Peter Pan. But just as last Sunday, there was a family immediately behind us -- parents + two kids. Once we got to the loading area, I offered them my first-in-line spot. Both times, the kids seemed pleased, as did the parents. It's always nice to share the magic, when and where possible.

Crowds were moderate to moderate+. Today, however, a friend sent a pic from rope drop and the park was absolutely slammed. I was told that this is the last day that guests can use specially-priced three-day park tix. Glad I went yesterday and not today.

The CM update:
I spoke with a few CMs about the crowds and what they felt they'd be like once SWL opens. None of them were optimistic. All expressed reservations that the park would be completely slammed for the foreseeable future. Yikes. That been my concern for several weeks now. But there's no turning back now ;-).

With respect to the first day of no smoking on Disney property, we sat for about 30 minutes at the former smoking area on Big Thunder Trail. No smoking signs are now posted. Once or twice guests took a seat and seemed to want a cigarette (we could see/hear them discussing whether they should). The most interesting thing happened when a guest approached the area and looked mildly confused. After a moment, I asked if I could help him. He then explained that he'd been to the park on Tuesday and this had been a smoking area. I told him that the smoking ban had gone into effect just that day. He seemed relieved that he hadn't made a mistake and wasn't losing his mind ;-).

Also on that note, the only time that we did smell smoke was as we left the park for the evening (around 9:00 -- long day for me. I usually leave between 3:00 and 4:30). Immediately after we passed City Hall, we both caught a brief whiff of ciggie smoke. We never figured out where it came from but I suspected that it's source was the small picnic area just outside of the park gates. I imagine we'll see this kind of thing sporadically. As a result, I strongly support a rule of no cigarettes or vape pen allowed in the park at all (if Disney decides to go this way).

Between the first and second drops on Pirates, the ride stopped. The boat in front of us seemed to have run aground. Whoa! Wait -- no. That's virtually impossible at DL. We soon learned that it was a problem with the ride itself rather than with any particular boat. We sat for about 15 minutes before the ride continued. I thought that I'd finally experience an evacuation of POTC. It's not something I'd actually like to do, but if it ever happens, it might be kind of interesting.

BTW, I have three sets (two DL, one DCA) of park maps. If anyone would like one, simply message me with your preferred mailing address (domestic is preferred).

Pics:
DL open.jpg

DL open2.jpg

DL open3.jpg

Light bulb.jpg

Pics from the former smoking area.

No smoking.jpg

No smoking2.jpg

No smoking3.jpg

No smoking4.jpg

Odie. I'm told that this is the largest horse at DL now.

Odie.jpg

A duck as it monitors the entrance to Frontierland.

What the duck.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I spoke with a friend at the park gates who knows a number of CMs. He told me that the DL cats do, in fact, have an area that is setup by Disney. There they're given food during the daytime (to keep them there during the day) and are treated with flea spray (or something like it) every time they enter. There used to be about 300 cats but there are now only around 120. So I'm told.

A few random pics:

Treats.jpg

Cake.jpg

Penguin.jpg

This is from today's rope drop. I was there yesterday and missed this, fortunately.
Rope drop.jpg

Thanks for your mini report! We'll be there Sunday. I laughed about how the man thought he was losing it re: smoking area because it was there a day before. I guess there are people who really don't have a clue about what's happening in the parks...

As a result, I strongly support a rule of no cigarettes or vape pen allowed in the park at all (if Disney decides to go this way).

I get that this would be the only way to clamp down on smokers violating the ban, but I think it is a bit harsh. Smokers already have to leave not only the parks, but the entire secure area which means all of DTD. If they are not allowed to have their materials with them they will have to go even farther than exiting the security checkpoints to retrieve their stuff. That's a pretty big burden to put on the people who want to comply with the rules, all to get rid of the very occasional cheater.

I think it would be better for CMs and security to remove people who are smoking in the parks instead of looking the other way like they always, always do.

I thought the last day to use the discount tickets was May 23rd.... We'll be there from the 18th to the 22nd. Really hoping for at least one day that's not too crowded.

I get that this would be the only way to clamp down on smokers violating the ban, but I think it is a bit harsh. Smokers already have to leave not only the parks, but the entire secure area which means all of DTD. If they are not allowed to have their materials with them they will have to go even farther than exiting the security checkpoints to retrieve their stuff. That's a pretty big burden to put on the people who want to comply with the rules, all to get rid of the very occasional cheater.

I think it would be better for CMs and security to remove people who are smoking in the parks instead of looking the other way like they always, always do.
I don't think so, they make the choice to smoke, some cities have even gone so far as to ban smoking in all public places, which includes shops, parks, amusement parks, sidewalks, etc. Banning cigarettes and such from the parks wouldn't be taking it that far.

Now I still maintain the better options would have been to create smoking booths that use negative air pressure to keep the smoke in and have them ventilated through filters and then up and away from people. Make the booths comfortable so they are places smokers would want to go to smoke. It would keep people safe while at the same time making it better for smokers.

We were there the last 3 days, and Monday and Tuesday were ridiculous. Yesterday was busy, but a little more reasonable for sure. Thankfully, the weather was great, and MaxPass is helpful! I felt happy walking through the old "smoking section" yesterday!

Also, I spoke with a friend at the park gates who knows a number of CMs. He told me that the DL cats do, in fact, have an area that is setup by Disney. There they're given food during the daytime (to keep them there during the day) and are treated with flea spray (or something like it) every time they enter. There used to be about 300 cats but there are now only around 120. So I'm told.

:lovestrucNow all I want to do is find the feeding area so I can pet 120 cats :laughing:

:lovestrucNow all I want to do is find the feeding area so I can pet 120 cats :laughing:
Sometimes you can see the feeding stations from the monorail. They look like large plastic dog houses. They are very simple, not luxurious at all. Disney wants to keep the cats cared for, but still interested in hunting. The population has been reduced over the years thanks to the TNR program. If you see a DLR cat, look at the ears. If one ear is tipped, that cat has been neutered or spayed and released. One example of this is the famous Francisco by GRR. Her tipped ear is easy to see. (And she likes to be petted!)

I thought the last day to use the discount tickets was May 23rd.... We'll be there from the 18th to the 22nd. Really hoping for at least one day that's not too crowded.
Don’t wanna put you off.. but we are here now (it’s our third day) and it. Is. Packed!

Thanks for the great report. We are coming May 19th to May 22nd and expect it to be crazy busy. We got MP and hope to use it to the fullest but I am coming with my family including my 3 year old GS and we will have no choice but to wait in line for the rides he can do. I am thinking of upgrading my ticket for a annual pass but I am really worried that I won't find my value if everytime I go its unpleasantly busy. I will have to really consider it with how the crowds look during my stay and times that by 10 for when SW opens.

My Goodness that is a LOT of people for a weekday in early May.
We were there Tuesday night for the Marvel Disneyland After Dark, so we weren't exposed to the craziness.

We're usually not there for rope drop, but we will be for our SW:GE reservation at 8. I wonder if they will have a separate place for GE to congregate? They should open one of the passages behind the Main Street stores for GE queuing before opening.

I still haven't gotten a piece of that Mickey Celebration cake. It looks so good...

Thank you for the pics. We have our first trip to DL coming up this fall, after 19 visits to WDW, and for some reason I was worried that DL wouldn't feel like Disney to me, due to it's location. After seeing your pics I no longer have that concern. Thanks again!

Thanks for the pics. We are getting excited as we arrive next week. I'll ask you as a regular, it's showing rain in the forecast. What exactly is rain in May like in Anaheim. We are from Vancouver so May rains are heavy! Will we need to pack heavy duty rain coats? What will it mean for crowds? Thanks for any input!

Now I still maintain the better options would have been to create smoking booths that use negative air pressure to keep the smoke in and have them ventilated through filters and then up and away from people. Make the booths comfortable so they are places smokers would want to go to smoke. It would keep people safe while at the same time making it better for smokers.

In theory, this sounds like a reasonable compromise. In practice, here's how I see it as it plays out.

Disney has to find a place inside the park that will accommodate 30-60 guests at any given time. Park real estate is already scarce. Using any piece they could find to accommodate smokers would not be well received by the majority of park guests.

In addition to the lost space, a negative-pressure smoking booth would cost a lot to setup and as much or even more to maintain. In the future when/if a CM that tended the booth contracts lung cancer, it would be tricky for Disney to justify having said CM work under (unnecessarily) dangerous and harmful conditions.

Once Disney decides to make this accommodation, smokers will want another booth. And another. And another. Inevitably, some will complain that it's either:
· Inconvenient in both location and wait-time.
· Too small.
· Not warm/cold enough.
· Dirty.
· Too smoky (Really? Yes, really).
· There’s no water fountain.
· They can’t bring their children in with them. Disney need to provide CMs to babysit while the parent(s) smoke.

In the case where Disney allows limited smoking, some guests will push it and sneak a smoke in other parts of the park with lesser consequences if caught, so they'll believe/insist. With an all-out ban, they’ll have no leg to stand on and will likely be removed/banned after multiple violations (hopefully that means more than one). Then they’ll insist that Disney discriminates against smokers. Consequently, #DisneyHatesSmokers trends on Twitter two or three times a year.

In short, smoking booths will be a major pain for DL and a cost that returns absolutely nothing. It seems more likely than not that it'll spawn at least a few lawsuits. Since smoking offends/bothers the majority of guests, why even allow it at all? The only positive outcome of a booth is that smokers will be placated. For a while. I say Disney made the absolutely correct choice with the all-out ban.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. We are getting excited as we arrive next week. I'll ask you as a regular, it's showing rain in the forecast. What exactly is rain in May like in Anaheim. We are from Vancouver so May rains are heavy! Will we need to pack heavy duty rain coats? What will it mean for crowds? Thanks for any input!
Rain in Southern California is rare, generally speaking. And for it to rain non-stop on any given day is even more rare. Often the forecast will predict rain and it never comes or it will sprinkle for ten minutes and then get sunny once again. I can't promise this, of course. But I wouldn't worry too much about rain on your trip. One good thing in your favor is that forecasted rain seems to be the only thing that keeps people away from the parks so it could actually work out in your favor :-).

Let me know if you'd like me to send you some park maps. At this point, they may not arrive in time but if you leave late next week, there's a fair chance. Have a great trip! Disneyland is amazing!

That's super kind of you! Thanks but we've been quite a few times now.
Thanks for the rain insight too. Hopefully you are right and it choses to stay away. We get enough rain here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter