Small minded people and their small minded comments...ugh!

Noooooo!! Not at all. lol. I'm fiercely proud to be a Buffalonian, but this particular trend is not common at all here.

Oh heck, we are usually 10 years behind any fashion trends here. By the time it catches on here, everyone else has already moved on to something else. :lmao:

I'm a guy and I sometimes carry a "man bag" to carry my stuff in.

I'm honestly curious, what's the "stuff?"

I have a briefcase that I carry over my shoulder that *might* look like a murse. But, since I carry it into work, to appointments, etc, nobody says a thing about it.

When I'm not working, or transporting paperwork, I frequently have my phone on my belt and a money clip in my pocket.

I'm assuming you aren't carrying make-up, a hairbrush, tampons or the like.

Really, what's the "stuff?"

BTW, life gets a lot easier when you quit caring about what other people think.

Yep. I learned this lesson by the 4th grade. Too many people either wait until adulthood to learn it or never do.

Almost every bullying thread, as in ones that aren't actual bullying, need this simple statement.

It's amazing how many people are scared of or hate anything that is different.

:hug:

Good for you!

The thing that gets me, is that with their comments they are implying that I'm gay. If someone thinks I'm gay because of my appearence, let them have at it, I couldn't care less. Unlike them, I know being gay isn't a bad thing.

You could offer to buy them a camouflage-patterned bag in which to carry their bigotry around so no one realizes they're jerks until they open their bags and their mouths.

I'm honestly curious, what's the "stuff?"

I have a briefcase that I carry over my shoulder that *might* look like a murse. But, since I carry it into work, to appointments, etc, nobody says a thing about it.

When I'm not working, or transporting paperwork, I frequently have my phone on my belt and a money clip in my pocket.

I'm assuming you aren't carrying make-up, a hairbrush, tampons or the like.

Really, what's the "stuff?"

I wonder this too. But then I realized my DH carries his wallet as well as two pairs of glasses at all times - he has to wear cargo shorts. When we go to the parks, he's the one who packs and carries a backpack though...I hate carrying anything around! But seriously, when you're out and about, is there really a NEED for a bag, or is it just to make a statement of being different? No disrespect meant...I just wonder what you'd be carrying if you weren't headed for school or work.

BTW, I saw a guy at Target this morning carrying his murse. I thought of this thread...:woohoo:

I also wondered what it is you carry around that necessitates a shoulder bag (murse)? It really seems like you're setting yourself up for 'ridicule' when it's not necessary. I can see it when on vacation, but every day stuff? My husband only carries a house key, car key, wallet, and a couple tissues and they all fit in his pockets.

It's amazing how many people are scared of or hate anything that is different.

You could offer to buy them a camouflage-patterned bag in which to carry their bigotry around so no one realizes they're jerks until they open their bags and their mouths.

They are guys who are just busting the OP's chops. I can guarantee if my DH walked into a party or a bar and one of his good friends were carrying a murse there would be some good natured ribbing and the guy carrying it would laugh right along with them. MY dh is not a bigot or a jerk. He's a guy who has some very good lifelong friends and they joke around with each other. If OP wants to carry a bag and he is comfortable with it and likes it then he should have a thicker skin. I get abused by quite a few of my friends when Barry manilow comes to town and I go see him. I love Barry and take their jokes as they are intended.

My older son has a great computer/messenger bag and a lady in an elevator once told him that his shoes matched his bag. He looked down at his shoes, and yup - they did!

eh - don't let it bother you. In the big picture, it doesn't matter.

They are guys who are just busting the OP's chops. I can guarantee if my DH walked into a party or a bar and one of his good friends were carrying a murse there would be some good natured ribbing and the guy carrying it would laugh right along with them. MY dh is not a bigot or a jerk. He's a guy who has some very good lifelong friends and they joke around with each other. If OP wants to carry a bag and he is comfortable with it and likes it then he should have a thicker skin. I get abused by quite a few of my friends when Barry manilow comes to town and I go see him. I love Barry and take their jokes as they are intended.

This is what I think. Guys like to rib each other. If the OP'er thinks they are doing it to truly be jerks, it is time to find new friends. If they are doing it because they are guys that like to rib each other, suck it up or stop posting pictures of yourself carrying the bag.

BTW, life gets a lot easier when you quit caring about what other people think.

Agree with this 100% and I also agree it's a very typical 'guy' thing (but then most guys I meet are abit insecure about the whole gender thing).

If you like your bag then what others thing is really no matter.....at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as you like it and are comfortable. People focus way to much on gender and appearing this way or that these days, it's pretty silly really.

This is what I think. Guys like to rib each other. If the OP'er thinks they are doing it to truly be jerks, it is time to find new friends. If they are doing it because they are guys that like to rib each other, suck it up or stop posting pictures of yourself carrying the bag.

I agree. They aren't bigots, they are guys that think they are really funny.

My DH uses a messenger bag as his "murse" when he goes out with the baby during the day. He shaves his head, so he doesn't have long hair, and he is pretty muscular, so he isn't going to be mistaken for a lady, that's for sure. But he and I joke about the murse all the time. That's just what we do, just like he teases me when I wear cargo pants and work boots to do heavy labor out in the yard. We kid, we kid!

I wouldn't worry about it. Mrs. Tex and I are in the Society for Creative Anachronism, and our interest is late 12th Century Germany. For men, that means a long "rock" (most would call it an ankle length tunic, split front and back for riding) and hosen. When DS22 goes with us, he wears the same sort of thing. We all kid about him and me wearing a dress and pantyhose.

A man is no less a man for carrying a murse, or wearing a skirt (like those sissy highlanders) or heels (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, et al.) I'd suspect some pretty vigorous ribbing, but that's all it is.

I think you have a pretty good understanding of how lots and lots of guys are. We pick at and rib each other as means of community building. There's a reason why the phrase "man up" is so accurate and meaningful. If one is going to practice an activity or a style, it is good to own it.
My practice in life is that I don't initiate any ribbing with guys I am not already friends with, but I don't mind jumping in and carrying on. Especially if someone mentions my "mocketbook" (computer bag).

I think you have a pretty good understanding of how lots and lots of guys are. We pick at and rib each other as means of community building. There's a reason why the phrase "man up" is so accurate and meaningful. If one is going to practice an activity or a style, it is good to own it.
My practice in life is that I don't initiate any ribbing with guys I am not already friends with, but I don't mind jumping in and carrying on. Especially if someone mentions my "mocketbook" (computer bag).

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter