Smokers Only! PLEASE! No Debates or Complaints!

Smokers...What Will You Do For Future Trips?

• I Will Continue to Stay on Property and Just Use the Designated Areas

• I am Going to Stay Off Property in a Smoking Allowed Room

• I am Going to Rent a Vacation Home that Allows Smoking

• I am Really Going to try and Quit Smoking

• I Don't Plan on Going to Disney Anymore Because of This

• I am Going to Camp or Buy an RV

• I'm Not Sure Yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MissionMouse, just wondering why you quoted me. I said I would smoke in the DSA. Not trying to start anything...just wondering???

I am a cigarette smoker.

Many years ago I stopped smoking in the house except in the basement. Well over three years ago, I voluntarily moved my nasty habit to the garage only. In our new home, I smoke only in the garage and the lanai... my choice.

At Disney, I have always tried to be a courteous smoker, smoking only in those designated areas I consider remote, and not beside traffic routes. I understand because I don't like cigar smoke!

I told my wife a few years back, NOT to book DVC smoking rooms because I would no longer be smoking in the rooms. I would be happy to confine my smoking to the balcony... I too do not enjoy a smoke saturated room and I don't want my family to be in it.

I think there may be others like me out there, who book non-smoking rooms and Don't Smoke In Them! Consequently, Disney interpreted this as a lack of demand for smoking rooms. I understand that too, the demand for non-smoking rooms has decreased because of people like me, and those people who don't care one way or the other, they will smoke wherever they want.

However, I consider the new policy to be overkill, I enjoy that last cigarette on our DVC balcony each night, and absorbing the peace and quiet of the night... and that first smoke with a cup of coffee! I never see anybody sitting out on their balconies next to, or even near balcony.

Since 1989, we attended a convention in CA every July for the birthday of Disneyland. After California placed stringent anti-smoking rules in all hotels, bars, etc. I just feel like, as a smoker, they are making no considerations for me, and that I am not wanted there. So, we haven't been back for several years. I'm sure I have made no impact on the tourist economy of southern California.

At this time, I'm not sure what I will do regarding the new policy at WDW Resorts. I have a considerable investment with DVC, and have never regretted my membership. I guess I'll see what it is like for our December family gathering at BCV's.

If they decide to prohibit smoking on the verandas of the Cruise Line, I'll just find another cruise company who wants my money and will make my life comfortable and provide for my nasty habit.

I will be curious to see if the new "smoking areas" at the DVC resorts and hotels will be protected from rain, wind and "non-smokers" who like to cough and fan their hands in the smoking areas...

I simply will not go to Disney again. I have a preplanned family reunion there in sept. but that will be my last trip. I don't mind that Disney is doing this, because it is a company and they can do as they please. What I resent is when legislators force bussiness to become "smoke free". If enough people are bothered by the smoke they will stop coming and the OWNER will change their policy. The government has no place meddling in this type of thing.

Same with Disney. If enough people like me stop going because of this they will change their policy. The government needs to butt out.

Well, this will be our first time on property, but def not the last! Mom & I both smoke but always got a non-smoking room so as not to clog the closed-in area w/smoke while traveling with my 2 kiddos. We enjoyed being able to just step outside to smoke so there will be a slight inconvinience of prob having to smoke in shifts (one goes to DSA, while one stays w/kids) but honestly we are not spazzing over it. Minor disappointment, but from all that I have read, the perks of staying on property will outweigh any inconviniences. We never had any prob w/abiding by the DSA policies in the parks.
I just sorta wish that after June 1st, there would be a map or a website link to show where the DSAs will be in the resorts....but thats just the anal planner in me.

Can't wait to see the threads starting after June 1st...hopefully any smokers staying after that time will post their experiences & observations. LOL Like all the PJ clad people walking around to the DSAs at the crack of dawn and for the last smoke of the night. popcorn::

I simply will not go to Disney again. I have a preplanned family reunion there in sept. but that will be my last trip. I don't mind that Disney is doing this, because it is a company and they can do as they please. What I resent is when legislators force bussiness to become "smoke free". If enough people are bothered by the smoke they will stop coming and the OWNER will change their policy. The government has no place meddling in this type of thing.

Same with Disney. If enough people like me stop going because of this they will change their policy. The government needs to butt out.

Wow! :eek: This post, as well as the 5 people who have voted on the poll that they won't go to Disney anymore... just amazes me! I cannot believe there are people SO dedicated to cigarettes that they won't go to their favorite vacation spot anymore.

Before I get flamed -- I am an occasional smoker, but even as a heavy smoker, I would have done without it if it meant being in Disney!

Think about it, people. This is a terrible, unhealthy habit, and to choose IT over fun at Disney with your family is just shocking and truly sad.

But then again.. maybe enough people will get mad that the rest of us won't need fast passes anymore..:rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Please, please, I do not mean this thread to be a debate or a place to complain or proclaim joy at the new Disney no smoking rooms policy! I'm ONLY curious as to what smokers plans are for upcoming Disney trips after June 1st.

Non-Smokers: We know you are thrilled, no need to pro-claim your joy. Also we know one of our options is to quit smoking, no need to post it.

Smokers: We know all the arguments, we know some are really mad...but please, just post what you think you will do for your next trip.

Again I am ONLY curious as to what smokers think they will do or stay for future trips please!!!!!!

As a non smoker I was really cross about this, the whole my holiday was spoiled because the room smelled of cigerettes is a little hysterical IMO. Oops sorry to invade your post (I aimed for is it going to be cold in february and mis clicked wondered why you where talking about smoking)

I think there may be others like me out there, who book non-smoking rooms and Don't Smoke In Them! Consequently, Disney interpreted this as a lack of demand for smoking rooms. I understand that too, the demand for non-smoking rooms has decreased because of people like me, and those people who don't care one way or the other, they will smoke wherever they want.

However, I consider the new policy to be overkill, I enjoy that last cigarette on our DVC balcony each night, and absorbing the peace and quiet of the night... and that first smoke with a cup of coffee! I never see anybody sitting out on their balconies next to, or even near balcony.

I certainly agree with you here. There are many people out there...and I mean many, that do smoke but want a non-smoking room. My DH can smoke all he wants at home, BUT it better be outside. That might be why Disney is stating that the number of people chosing smoking rooms are declining. The rooms don't provide good ventilation and are small to be having children in the room with someone smoking.

My DH as well likes to have a "goodnight" cigarette and a "goodmorning" cigarette with his coffee. Now he will be treading to who knows where just to enjoy it.

I am certain that even when the resorts assign designated smoking areas, those that are non smokers will still give the roll of the eyes, the waving of the hand, and the dirty stares. Just like they do at the parks. Because now it will be more obvious and out in the open.

Former smoker here too...I rememeber finding the designated areas in the parks...It seemed like we were the only ones doing it, others smoked where they wanted. I think where people are sleeping, eating and spending thier time it should be banned....Trust me, I smoked close to 30 years...If I can stop so can you.

I am not a smoker, but having worked at a hotel, I know how hard it is to get the "smoking" smell out of a room. This means people with allergies (I am not allergic, but as someone with a disability, I know how hard it can be) will ask for a non-smoking room, and June 2 find out they are in a room that was "smoking" only the day before.

Also, having worked at a hotel, I know people "sneak" a smoke, which they would not if they had a smoking room.

I think having smoking rooms makes it easier for us non-smokers to have a smoke-free sleeping environment. That being said, i completely agree with designated areas in parks and around pools and such. I would find it difficult to be trapped in line next to a smoker!

I will continue to stay on-site even though I do not agree with the new policy. I, too, am one of those who smokes but gets a non-smoking room for my DH and DGKs. I liked being able to step outside on the walkway for a smoke while the kiddos were watching tv or sleeping. I too am very aware of the people around me and I don't smoke where I am not supposed to be. I am now in the process of trying to quit again. I have smoked for 35+ years and it is difficult. I have finally decided that being considered a "bad person" because I smoke and having to defend what I do in the privacy of my own area is too much. I have been accosted by people who have litterly grabbed the cigarette from me and sworn at me when I have been in DSA. Enough is enough. Disney is only following what the "do gooders"? are saying so as to be "PC" like everyone else. I GIVE UP!

Wow! :eek: This post, as well as the 5 people who have voted on the poll that they won't go to Disney anymore... just amazes me! I cannot believe there are people SO dedicated to cigarettes that they won't go to their favorite vacation spot anymore.

Well, there are those of us who wouldn't rate Disney as our very favorite spot, even here on the Dis. :eek: It is one favorite spot among many for my family, and when the other favorites are still smoker-friendly but this one is not, the others naturally gain an edge over Disney in deciding where to take future trips.

I"m not a smoker personally, but I'm married to one. For our Dec trip we switched to the Dolphin, which still has smoking rooms. I don't know if/when we'll go back again after this trip, though if we fall in love with the Dolphin, the new smoking policy at Disney resorts might not be a factor at all (and might even be a blessing in disguise, given the money we're saving by staying Dolphin instead of Disney deluxe!).

My mom & I travel with the kids when DH can't get away, and we'll almost certainly be back regardless, hopefully next year for DD's birthday weekend. But when I plan family vacations, I plan for the whole family's enjoyment, and I'm not interested in planning a trip that DH will have a hard time enjoying because of the hassles that might be involved in having a cigarette. But he's a weird one as far as where he'll smoke - he's really paranoid about smoking outdoors in places with many children, even in smoking areas, because of the risk of some overexcited kid bumping into his cigarette by accident (smoking + talking with one's hands = :scared1: ). On our last trip, he left his smokes in the room most of the time and only smoked in our smoking room, at Pleasure Island on our adult night out, and by the quiet pool late at night after our kids were asleep. He didn't smoke in the parks or by the main pool or in most outdoor common areas at all, because he felt he couldn't relax and enjoy his cigarette with so many kids around.

I think there may be others like me out there, who book non-smoking rooms and Don't Smoke In Them! Consequently, Disney interpreted this as a lack of demand for smoking rooms.

Huh, I never thought of this. Smokers booking non-smoking rooms...I bet that does happen alot.

We have been staying at OKW the last few trips and I do not smoke in the room either, but I do request a smoking optional building because I wanted to be able to smoke on the balcony...I never really thought about getting a non-smoking room and smoking on the balcony.

I understand Disney's position on this and I respect their decision, but I really wonder how well it will work, since basically smokers will now be driven outside and therefore around more people. Whereas, when smoking buildings are available, smokers were somewhat "contained" now they will be spread out through all the buildings and will be outside smoking in more public areas. I think maybe as a first step, Disney should have left the smoking optional rooms and/or buildings and started with the hefty fine only for those who smoked in non-smoking rooms or buildings.

I'm a child of a smoker... and wasn't too happy about the drastic change in policy. One thing I've noticed in Disney is that the "stress" of the vacation just causes people to smoke more.. lol

I wish Disney took a que from the other resorts/hotels and stictly offered the option of non-smoking rooms and smoking rooms. As in, for those staying at Pop, your options would be:
-Standard Non Smoking
-Standard Smoking
-Preferred Non Smoking
-Preferred Smoking
I understand that smoking room requests are not as common as they once were. I think Disney could have easily cleaned ALL rooms, then designated and marketed a select few (on higher floor, quiter section) rooms as smoking optional. I also think this would have allowed disney to better enforce the fines.
It may have worked out better for them too... I recall staying at a Holiday Inn where there were no standard non smoking rooms available due to a convention. I bit the bullet and paid for a more expensive room since it was nonsmoking.:rolleyes:

For those staying at Pop, there was a set of tables right infront of Building 1 in the 50s section that provided ashtrays to smoke. Not sure if that will stay the same, but there was a smoking "section" there.

It won't change my decision to stay at a Disney resort. The benefits are too good for me! I feel bad for families with smaller kids as my mom could easily leave me in a room and run out to have a smoke... the same can't be said for single parents with smaller kids.

Ok, I am confused here. I know there are designated smoking areas in the parks, but are you guys saying that there will now be designated smoking areas at the resorts? So as to say, I can no longer step out of my room and have a smoke on the balcony, or walk way, but will have to trek across the resort to a designated smoking spot? If so, that's lame. Any idea where and how many these spots will be? Also, how will they enforce this? What would be the penalty for smoking outside of these areas? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

However, in answer to the actual question that was asked, I do not think this means I will stop going to Disney World. However, I WILL stop going to WDW twice a year, and start going back to Europe on vacations. Perhaps Disney every other year or so now.

Non-smoker here and jumping for joy!;) BUT my DH is a smoker so from his stand point....he will be happy with the assigned areas. We are staying onsite. I am allergic and he isn't allowed to smoke in the home or around us anyway. He already has assigned areas at home! The porch :lmao: And NJ has been this way with these rules for a while. It isn't exactly new. I totally get why no smoking in resturants and rooms, etc but even as a nonsmoker I don't understand the outside smoking. :confused3 If you are near me...I just move away. It's outside.

BUT I do have to say I got a little heated over the "well I will just smoke in non-smoking rooms and pay the fine". To me that is just plain rude and inconsiderate! LIke another poster said....that smell is hard to get out. YOU might not care and it might not bother the smoker but for someone who is allergic...it bothers me a lot. I can peg a room that has had past smoke in it. I thank God my DH isn't an inconsiderate smoker.

Btown - yes, that's exactly what we're saying :rolleyes:
For the most part, nobody has any idea yet on the number/location of Designated Smoking Areas at each resort, although there's a locked sticky on the Resorts board that indicates there will be two at AKL - one outside-but-not-in-front-of the front entrance, and one "near" the pool bar.
Don't know yet how the DSA usage, or lack thereof, will be enforced. I mean, I can see Cast Members directing smokers to a DSA, but who knows what they'll do if the smoker won't move?
As for penalties, again, who knows at this point? Eject the smoker from the resort? Take away their cigarettes? Ticket them? Anybody with any experience in other locations with limited smoking areas, and laws supporting that, around to tell us how it's enforced?

Has anyone noticed that there are LESS smoking areas in the parks now too?

I know for sure there used to be two in Fantasyland, one on each side, now there is only one and there were a couple smoking areas I noticed last week that just had the trashcan with the ashtray on-top, but the benches had been removed. :rolleyes:

For those of us who try VERY hard to be considerate smokers, it seems Disney is making this more and more difficult. I'm happy to only smoke in DS areas, but I need to be able to FIND them.

Before I get flamed -- I am an occasional smoker, but even as a heavy smoker, I would have done without it if it meant being in Disney!

Think about it, people. This is a terrible, unhealthy habit, and to choose IT over fun at Disney with your family is just shocking and truly sad.

But then again.. maybe enough people will get mad that the rest of us won't need fast passes anymore..:rolleyes1 :rotfl:

When my dad found out that he cant step out of his room and smoke he was really mad and told me to cancel his ressie. (I didnt) He going this time but I dont think he will be going back. I think for a heavy smoker that has been smoking for around 40+yrs it is a big deal to have to do without or to walk all the way across the resort to have a ciggarette after walking around the parks all day. I really wish my dad would quit but he wont and I have to respect his choice. I think being an "occasional smoker" and being a "smoker" are very different, I used to be an occasional smoker too and I wouldnt try to compare myself to my dad who is a smoker, set in his ways with no intention of quitting. Now on the other hand my DH who has been smoke free for the past 10 days is happy that he wont have to be as close to the temptation:cool1: JMHO

Just wanted to add, Disney isn't my dads favorite vacation spot, he'd much rather be on a cruise:) but he wanted to see his grandkids having fun. So I guess next year we'll have to do what he wants.:rolleyes1

My dad is the same way. He is almost 70 years old and right or wrong, he just isn't going to quit smoking. I think it's alot harder for older smokers. He doesn't smoke in the house, around my mom or the grandkids, but he does want to be able to step outside when on vacation. I know for sure he isn't going to traipse around looking for a DS area at a resort.

Up until he heard about the June 1st thing, we were thinking about another big family trip to WDW, now I'm not sure what we will do. I was hoping to stay at OKW, but it is HUGE and if there are not DS areas practically at every building, I can't imagine him having to take a bus to get to a DS area :rotfl: and at the same time, I don't want him sneaking a smoke in non-DS areas. :confused3 I guess if we do decide to go back to WDW with him, we might have to consider something off property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter