Smokers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm sorry for your bad experience , my last trip I didn't see but few smokers out of designated area's . I have noticed in last few visits seems like Disney is doing better job managing smokers.

For those who blame CMs for not enforcing rules, I was very pleasantly surprised at the reaction of the CM I was with when we came across a smoker. She immediately stopped and pointed out the designated smoking area to him. Then, after she'd moved away a little, she got on her walkie-talkie and told someone that she'd come across a guest at location X who was smoking, outside a designated smoking area.

It's still a free country, and smoking is still a legal activity for those who choose to indulge in it. I don't and I don't encourage others to. But Disney makes "reasonable accommodations" to address the concerns of both smokers and non-smokers alike, and we have to thank them for it... whether they enforce their rules or not, someone's not going to be happy.

It's still a free country, and smoking is still a legal activity for those who choose to indulge in it. I don't and I don't encourage others to. But Disney makes "reasonable accommodations" to address the concerns of both smokers and non-smokers alike, and we have to thank them for it... whether they enforce their rules or not, someone's not going to be happy.

And that's a daily occurrence at Disney World about hundreds of different topics! :):):):):):):)

My only encounter, personally, with a smoker out of the DSA who was infringing upon me was waiting for Illuminations on the bridge between the UK and France. Dude and his buddies light up and are puffing away and laughing/having a good time, but stinking up the place. I found a Cm and asked her if this was a DSA in case we inadvertently chose to stand in one (the map we had indicated it was not a DSA). She said absolutely not...so I pointed out the offenders and she was lightning quick in going over and kicking them out.

I do get annoyed when i see folks walking around wherever they please with their cigs. Usually they have them held love so as to hide them. I've been nearly burned by more than a few. We just hustle past and leave them and their disgusting cloud of death/stink behind.

Some of the DSA spots aren't as ideal as you might want them and seem in the middle of everyone and easy to not notice that it's a DSA if your a non-smoker not looking to see if/where the ashtray is. Those spots I hate to use. I don't get the people that feel they can just light up anywhere, have a little compassion for those that aren't smokers or even worse, those that are at serious health risk being near someone smoking. It is disney after all.

One of the answers to this is actually more designated smoking areas with shade, benches and ashtrays as well as current smoking areas being better marked. As a non-smoker who has traveled with a smoking friend, I don't think smoking imagineers designed or picked the smoking areas... if they had, they would be marked and located in much more logical places (and that includes being more "out of the way" of non-smokers).

While I haven't seen a ton of smokers outside of the designated areas, what I have noticed is people with the ecigs or vapes walking around. As a former smoker, smoke itself doesn't really bother me too much, but I hate the sickly sweet smell of some of those vape capsules.

Not necessarily at Disney, but in a lot of places I've noticed that vapers are a much bigger problem than cigarette/cigar smokers. Apparently because vaping "isn't smoking" in the minds of some who vape.

It will continue to be a problem until Disney chooses to do something about it consistently. CMs aren't going to be confrontational and generally are too busy to alert management/security for something like that. In the last few years I have witnessed several incidences of behavior that "isn't allowed" that a CM asked a guest to rectify, and the guest either flat out ignored it or told the CM "No." This includes smoking in lines and bathrooms, vaping, drinking by the pool, and general things that are in place to keep attractions running smoothly (i.e., line progression, seating). Guest behavior is certainly not improving, and as Disney's prices increase the entitlement behavior will continue and escalate.

Not many minimum wage employees anywhere are willing to correct or admonish entitled or rude customers, and I don't blame them. And the people who engage in such behavior are well aware that they're likely to get away with it.

I haven't seen much smoking at Disney outside the DSAs, just one guy as I was leaving Epcot\ in the crush of humanity last time. I do notice a lot of vapers though, and while I don't find it bothers me as much as smoking, they are still supposed to do it in the DSAs only. I think they may not know that because it isn't well advertised.

People who vape know quite well they're only supposed to do it in DSAs. But they tell themselves their behavior is "different." They're not "smoking."

Disney has a lot of non American visitors. Smoking wherever and whenever is the norm for them. For some reason, that way of thinking follows them to a foreign country.

So that makes them the "Ugly Non-American" brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter