Smoking concerns

This has happened to us on Disney a few times - maybe 3 or 4 out of 25 cruises. We report it to guest services and they usually quickly send over security to check on the smoking. It helps if you can directly identify the cabin and then they go directly there. Only one time did it remain an issue - the family just would not stop smoking next to us even with numerous calls to security - we think they did it on purpose when we were out on the balcony to spite us for calling security on them. They were really obnoxious and because we felt uncomfortable being next to their cabin we asked to switch rooms and Disney made that happen.

I'm just curious, how much of an issue is this? (people smoking on their verandas) I know any responses will be anecdotal, but I'm curious what experiences people have had. I would be fairly ticked off if I couldn't enjoy my veranda because of smoke (both my husband and I hate cigarette smoke and are very sensitive to it).
Anecdotal as you said, but we've taken 6 cruises on DCL, most recent last year. Never smelled any smoke on my verandah and I spend a good bit of time out there. I'm very sensitive to it as well, if anyone was smoking near me I would probably know it

Coming at this from a different perspective. I'm a smoker. I'm respectful, and I only ever smoke in designated areas. I also happen to be HIGHLY sensitive to most perfumes and colognes. My eyes water, my throat closes up, I cough, I become absolutely miserable. Close contact is the worst, with my symptoms becoming less and less severe with more distance, particularly outside. But that's MY problem. I'm not trying to get perfume banned on cruise ships. I'm not freaking out on people if I catch a whiff. If the person on the verandah next to mine wears heavy perfume and chooses to sit outside a lot, I simply don't use my verandah. It's not incumbent on THEM to make life more comfortable for ME.

So why cigarette smoke? Why are smokers so heavily vilified, to the point of having security called? Why are people's delicate noses to so horribly offended by a touch of smoke being carried on the wind outside? Again, I'm not talking about up close and personal (although bringing it back around to my perfume example, if someone with heavy perfume is up in my space, I leave. I don't try to send them away). But why are smokers the only people that it's still okay to bully and shame and try to get to stop existing? I really don't get it.

Coming at this from a different perspective. I'm a smoker. I'm respectful, and I only ever smoke in designated areas. I also happen to be HIGHLY sensitive to most perfumes and colognes. My eyes water, my throat closes up, I cough, I become absolutely miserable. Close contact is the worst, with my symptoms becoming less and less severe with more distance, particularly outside. But that's MY problem. I'm not trying to get perfume banned on cruise ships. I'm not freaking out on people if I catch a whiff. If the person on the verandah next to mine wears heavy perfume and chooses to sit outside a lot, I simply don't use my verandah. It's not incumbent on THEM to make life more comfortable for ME.

So why cigarette smoke? Why are smokers so heavily vilified, to the point of having security called? Why are people's delicate noses to so horribly offended by a touch of smoke being carried on the wind outside? Again, I'm not talking about up close and personal (although bringing it back around to my perfume example, if someone with heavy perfume is up in my space, I leave. I don't try to send them away). But why are smokers the only people that it's still okay to bully and shame and try to get to stop existing? I really don't get it.
The issue for me in terms of reporting it is that it’s explicitly against the rules for *safety reasons* - yes, I also find it extremely unpleasant, but it’s not just “I don’t like it so nobody should be allowed to do it.” There are designated smoking areas on the ship, and I just avoid them. Smokers also often reek of smoke, but I don’t say they should have to change clothes and take a shower before being in public spaces - I just move away from them.

If you look up Carnival ship fire from 2006, you can see why it's a safety issue.
I think that's more why people are inclined to call security. Second hand smoke being a carcinogen, also a concern.
I agree with heavy perfume also being a bother, but it won't cause your neighbor's cabin to catch on fire.

If you look up Carnival ship fire from 2006, you can see why it's a safety issue.
I think that's more why people are inclined to call security. Second hand smoke being a carcinogen, also a concern.
I agree with heavy perfume also being a bother, but it won't cause your neighbor's cabin to catch on fire.

Oh dear. And the smokers wonder why people "vilify" them?

Attachments

• Snap108.jpg
    Snap108.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5

I can understand why someone who has dulled their sense of smell by voluntarily breathing combustion gases wouldn't get why it's offensive. If perfume is proven to be a health and safety hazard on cruise ships, I'm sure you'll see bans on that as well. Until then your analogy is less than persuasive. Someone pulls out "what about perfume" in every thread about smoking.

I can understand why someone who has dulled their sense of smell by voluntarily breathing combustion gases wouldn't get why it's offensive. If perfume is proven to be a health and safety hazard on cruise ships, I'm sure you'll see bans on that as well. Until then your analogy is less than persuasive. Someone pulls out "what about perfume" in every thread about smoking.
OK, let's make it a little more persuasive with hard facts. Perfume HAS been proven to be a health hazard. From the Journal of Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, published on the National Institutes of Health website: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5093181/

Fragranced products have been associated with a range of adverse health effects, such as migraine headaches, asthma attacks, respiratory difficulties, neurological problems, mucosal symptoms, and contact dermatitis (Kim et al. 2015; Elberling et al. 2005; Millqvist and Löwhagen 1996; Kumar et al. 1995; Kelman 2004; Caress and Steinemann 2004, 2005; Johansen 2003; Rastogi et al. 2007; Sealey et al. 2015).

Overall, 34.7 % of the population reported health problems, such as migraine headaches and respiratory difficulties, when exposed to fragranced products. Further, 15.1 % have lost workdays or a job due to fragranced product exposure in the workplace. Also, 20.2 % would enter a business but then leave as quickly as possible if they smell air fresheners or some fragranced product. Over 50 % of the population would prefer that workplaces, health care facilities and professionals, hotels, and airplanes were fragrance-free. While prior research found that common fragranced products, even those called green and organic, emitted hazardous air pollutants, more than two thirds of the population were not aware of this, and over 60 % would not continue to use a fragranced product if they knew it emitted such pollutants.

Hide your head in the sand all you like, but don't pretend that perfume is "safe" while cigarette smoke is "dangerous."

Funny, for decades smokers were the bully. Now they complain when people finally stand up to their bullying.

Last edited:
I'm just curious, how much of an issue is this? (people smoking on their verandas) I know any responses will be anecdotal, but I'm curious what experiences people have had. I would be fairly ticked off if I couldn't enjoy my veranda because of smoke (both my husband and I hate cigarette smoke and are very sensitive to it).
We have had two issues with smoke coming onto our veranda. I have been on 42 DCL cruises. I did report.

I also reported at BWV once, and that was taken care of after one warning to them.

OK, let's make it a little more persuasive with hard facts. Perfume HAS been proven to be a health hazard. From the Journal of Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, published on the National Institutes of Health website: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5093181/

Fragranced products have been associated with a range of adverse health effects, such as migraine headaches, asthma attacks, respiratory difficulties, neurological problems, mucosal symptoms, and contact dermatitis (Kim et al. 2015; Elberling et al. 2005; Millqvist and Löwhagen 1996; Kumar et al. 1995; Kelman 2004; Caress and Steinemann 2004, 2005; Johansen 2003; Rastogi et al. 2007; Sealey et al. 2015).

Overall, 34.7 % of the population reported health problems, such as migraine headaches and respiratory difficulties, when exposed to fragranced products. Further, 15.1 % have lost workdays or a job due to fragranced product exposure in the workplace. Also, 20.2 % would enter a business but then leave as quickly as possible if they smell air fresheners or some fragranced product. Over 50 % of the population would prefer that workplaces, health care facilities and professionals, hotels, and airplanes were fragrance-free. While prior research found that common fragranced products, even those called green and organic, emitted hazardous air pollutants, more than two thirds of the population were not aware of this, and over 60 % would not continue to use a fragranced product if they knew it emitted such pollutants.

Hide your head in the sand all you like, but don't pretend that perfume is "safe" while cigarette smoke is "dangerous."
If you feel the need to put dangerous in quotations to describe cigarette smoke as if it’s up for debate then there isn’t much conversation to be had. You also conveniently said perfume was a health hazard and (I think for reason) didn’t jump as far to call perfume a carcinogen but failed to acknowledge that cigarette smoke is a carcinogen and the numerous studies discussing the proven adverse effects of secondhand and tertiary smoke exposure.

I don’t like heavy perfume scents either, but i am not aware of a fire due to perfume on a cruise ship. Also not aware of any studies linking passive perfume exposure to any cancers or blood dyscrasias.

Last edited:

"Proven to be a health hazard" is quite a stretch. The study you linked isn't a medical study, it's basically the compiled results of a questionnaire and it's not really about perfume people wear. It's also about anything with a fragrance in it which includes cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, air fresheners, etc.

What a weird hill to die on. But sure, Ok you win. Let's ban perfume too.

I do feel for you being sensitive to perfumes and colognes. I do wish some people would think twice about how much they put on before going out in public, because in some instances, it's way too much, even for the not sensitive nose.

However, cigarette smoke contains known carcinogens. There is a big difference between an odor being unpleasant and causing cancer. And while someone wearing a lot of perfume is quite annoying (and in some cases, including yours, unpleasant), it's not a safety hazard like a wayward lit cigarette could be.

And yes, I did see what you posted about perfumes having some health effects. As others noted, that's not a scientific study (like the ones done linking cigarettes to cancer). Correlation does not automatically equal causation. And, many of those effects, while yes not fun, are short term. They're not permanent like cancer or emphysema.

So, a couple of very good reasons why smoking is such a bigger deal than perfume wearers. Again, I do feel for you being so sensitive to perfumes, but it's not the general health hazard that smoking is. I also don't see anyone vilifying smokers as much as they are vilifying the cigarettes and the act of smoking themselves. No one's trying to get smokers to not exist, they're just trying to get them to not smoke in places that create health and safety hazards (or where, you know, it's against the rules).

The perfume that Disney pushes throughout the ship tends to drown out any other perfumes anyway. It's so strong in some places!

I don't think perfume can do this, and I dislike any strong scents from any product. This was a plastic flower pot that sat on the porch one floor down from us. See the culprit that caused the damage?
IMG_0966.jpeg

Had it once on the Dream with cannabis. Called Security directly and never smelt it again. This was just after sailaway,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter