Smoking is gradually disappearing at DL :-).

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Yesterday I realized that the smoking area near the rafts for Pirates Lair is now closed. I spoke to a nearby CM and she told me the following interesting things:

1. That smoking area was closed around the first of the year. Guess I didn’t notice. That now leaves one designated smoking area. She told me that the park aims to also eliminate the remaining one by BTMRR. DL should be smoke-free by sometime next year.

2. It’s unclear if Pirates will ever offer FPs. Although it’s generally thought that we won’t get them, CMs are still being trained, she said, so who knows?

3. I often ask CMs what some of their favorite/craziest experiences have been at the park. This one told me that about two months ago, a guest was caught on video monitors smoking on Haunted Mansion (not vaping — smoking). When confronted, the guest insisted “It’s not my fault that I have an addiction!” I wonder: whose fault did she think it was?

This one told me that about two months ago, a guest was caught on video monitors smoking on Haunted Mansion (not vaping — smoking). When confronted, the guest insisted “It’s not my fault that I have an addiction!” I wonder: whose fault did she think it was?

She should have said that she was trying to accelerate the process of her becoming the 1,000 happy haunt.

I’m SO happy about this, too! I’m another lifelong asthmatic, and I’ve always thought it was ridiculous that smoking was allowed in the parks at all. If you can’t go a few hours without smoking and blowing it all over everyone else, then go out of the park to smoke. I say this with a dad who has smoked my entire life, but when he realized the effect on my lungs, (when I was a little older) would not smoke around me. I hope and pray they are doing the same at DCA, walking by the waterwheel always kills me, and I’ve always felt bad for the babies/little kids that don’t have a choice to avoid it...

My precious granddaughter died at the age of 6 from a severe asthma attack. Many people do not know that asthma can kill.
I am happy to hear that Disney is going smoke free. I hope that the CMs are told to enforce it.
This!
They can remove the smoking areas all they want, but if CMs won't enforce the rules, it does nothing. I have seen several times people smoking just randomly throughout the park, and CMs just look and move on. They don't tell them to put it out or direct them to the smoking areas.
They are really bad about this with vaping. Those vaping think they can just vape anywhere in the park because it's not "smoking"

Agree with all of the asthma comments above. i think people forget how bad it was when smoking was allowed throughout the park. When i was a kid, we were waiting in line for something in Tomorrowland. A guy walked by with a cigarette in hand that brushed my arm as he walked by. Gave me a slight burn. Can you imagine people with lit cigarettes walking around in today's crowds?!?

I too hope they make the entire park non-smoking. I am pretty sure there is a law that you can't smoke within so many feet of schools or parks and to me Disneyland is one giant park. WAY too many people having to breathe that in. I agree I hate that area by BTMRR. My question is if they have to go outside the park how far are they going to make them walk? I don't think anyone wants it right near the entrance either. And I agree about CM enforcing it. I did see a cm telling a guy that was smoking over by pirates lair that he couldn't smoke there but I think if they have no smoking signs posted at the front of the parks and all over the parks maybe that will help. I am sure a lot of people don't realize there are designated areas.

Glad to hear of this, although on all of my trips to the US over the years it was becoming noticeable how much smoking in itself was being clamped down upon, well before it started here in the UK.
Am not a smoker myself but am still distressed by seeing a large number of people of my age group who still do ....

In the camp that agrees that this is great, and that hopefully this makes the parks will soon be smoke-free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter