Snakes

Juli1706

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I'm new here asking questions, but I've been reading many interesting things.

My question is, has anyone run into snakes on Disney property? I'm afraid of them and have heard of some people running into them at resorts.

Maybe this will make you feel better!!!!!!

My family always stays in a cabin at FW. Never in all the times there have we seen a snake.
Lizards, now that is a different story. Many, many lizards around!!!!!!

:eek:

To me, lizards are almost as bad as snakes. My kids love to chase them though. They are just the little green ones so I let the kids have their fun!!!!!Fortunately for me, they have yet to catch one!!!! ;)

A former CM who worked at FW told me a few things about the wildlife.
Snakes have been spotted down by the lake, but late at night. Panthers have been spotted but on a far out jeep trail. Bats have been spotted, too.

The only things that you would encounter are lizards. And the crickets or the frogs might keep you awake at night.

TSI_Fan
cliplove.gif

I miss my Christi-bear. :(

YES, Last year we were coming out of Alien Encounter and there was a small (about 12 inch) garden snake on the pathway. Boy did the lady behind me screem (she didn't screem that loud in the show). My hubby just picked it up and put it in the scrubs so no one would step on it. First time ever. I would be more worried about running into an Armadillo, I hear they can get ugly. We have seen many of them on the side of the road (dead and alive). We have also seen a few alligators, one behind the Toy Story building and one in the water at Coronado Springs.

tink.gif

<font color=3300ff>PO/Riverside 5/01
Dixie Landing 11/00, 9/00, 8/00, 1/00, 10/99, 10/98, 6/94
All Star Sport 10/01,5/00, 12/99
All Star Music 7/01, 4/01, 4/00, 5/99, 5/97, 5/96, 4/95
All Star Movie 11/00, 4/99
Caribbean Beach 5/96, 11/90, 5/89
Coronado Spring 5/98
Wilderness Lodge 7/99, 11/95
WDW Hotel Village 10/87
Disneyland 5/86
</font>

Yes, I agree, tons of little lizards. But they are the funniest little things.
I did see a snake at the ASMu resort when we were there. It was in the bush, and the second we got closer it scooted away. Just a little garder snake.
We are going next trip with my sister and her family and she is grossed out by any little bug. Snakes and lizards dont bother her, its the flying and crawling things that wierd her out. We had our trip originally planned for September until we heard about the love bugs on this site, and that was all it took. We had to change to May.
Funny... :D

All Star Music 10/4/98
Next trip All Star Movies 05/3/02-05/12/02

No snakes but we have seen lizards and armadillos at the Villas at Lake Buena Vista and Alligators in the water at DD where we rode water sprites.People were feeding them-good thing I didnt tip over ! :eek:

In another forum last week, there was a topic about Lizards, Snakes,etc. and I posted my story about finding a snake in the single elevator at the Beach Club back in June '99.

If you want some giggles and some idea of all the different critters people have reported seeing lurking around WDW, you might want to search for this topic. Dinah

Last April at Blizzard Beach a man on a sun lounger next to me was bitten by a snake which fell out of a tree onto him. Later in the day we saw a snake curled up in the undergrowth.

Tracy
Disneyland Paris Halloween 1999 & Christmas 2000
Off site Easter 2000 & Easter 2001

A couple of years ago we were at Dixie at the pool. My son just got out of the pool when the lifeguard jumped in and people yelled for everyone to get out of the pool! A snake had slithered in the pool and was swimming across! People certainly got out as quickly as possible. The lifeguard got it out on a towel. We have only seen a snake this one time and have been to WDW often.

MinnieN

I am deathly afraid of snakes. I can't look at them on tv or magazines or newspapers, I get nightmares! But, I have been to Disney about 15 times and never ever seen a snake (alive anyway). There is fake snakes in the Great Movie Ride, I close my eyes and the my DH lets me know when it is safe to open them. And also in "Honey I Shrunk the Audience there is a couple of times that it is shown I kinda know when to close my eyes and again DH lets me know when it is safe. Other than those places I haven't seen a snake yet! So go and enjoy yourself. ;)

I know there are many of you out there that are afraid of snakes as I am. Why do we feel it is necessary to torture ourselves and read where snakes have been found. I know that I don't really want to know, but every time this topic comes up I always read every post?

We did see gators at CBR one year and tons of bunnies the following year....they were really cute. Saw multiple lizards....the little tiny ones. Especially at DD by the water on the rocks. If you look closely at the rocks you'll see about 1 to each rock by the water. There was probably about 50 of them.

Then last year we saw an armadillo at WL - he walked right in front of us and into the wooded area. Never saw any snakes though.

figaro1.jpg

'81 - Cont.
'88 - Disneyland
'89 - Maingate East
'91 - CBR
'94 - CBR
'95 - CBR
'98 - BC
'00 - WL
'01 - OKW

When we went on our first trip to DisneyWorld in 1999, I was terrified of of running into alligators, snakes and other animals I never, EVER see in cold Canada. I had heard somewhere that Disneyworld has to do some kind of gator clean up every year because they can get get too populated. Not once did we see any snakes. I think I would have passed out, but then again, if we would have seen one, it probably would have not been a dangerous one either. We didn't even notice the bugs (which made me so happy-I hate bugs too!!). So, I got the impression that DIsney ensures that the property is well taken care of. So, don't worry.

Joline :)

Last July when we were staying at Dixie Landings, we saw the cutest tree frogs after it rained, they were everywhere. They would suction cup themselves to the walls , doors & windows.(Outside, of course!)=0)

mickey17a.gif

well I don't know if these were snakes but it makes sense to me if they now were. My sister and I sitting out on the patio at BC and hearing this rustling sound coming from the bushes next to us. It was pretty loud in that bush and it frightened my sister next to it so much she ran inside. But I must say, I quickly followed her. I like ground floor rooms but now I think what if a snake or baby alligator snuck its way in the room. OH MY GOSH!:eek:

Nzmm...we saw an alligator at Coronado too. Last yr. there was a baby one in the water there. We named him MAX. My 3 yr. old grandson asked what his name was and his Aunt Erin said, 'Max.' right away, so it stuck. Ha. Sure glad we never met up with Mama Gator.

While staying at the Poly 13 years ago we saw a red, yellow, and black snake on the walkway outside one of the buildings. I informed a CM who said it was non-poisonious. A couple of years ago while sunbathing near the volleyball court at Blizzard Beach a large black snake slithered under the chairs. A CM came with a canvas bag and a metal trash picker-upper and caught it. (Disney Animal Control) :p

Originally posted by gofenmom
While staying at the Poly 13 years ago we saw a red, yellow, and black snake on the walkway outside one of the buildings.

There is a mnemonic that goes "If red touches yellow, it can kill a fellow; if red touches black, it's OK for Jack." I believe this holds true for all red/black, and red/black/yellow snakes. Of course, you'd have to get close enough to see if red was touching yellow or black...

Andy

apm,
That's the ryhme for the snake id alright, my parents own a home in Florida that is situated near a state forest and lots of cattle farms so it is pretty rural beautiful but rural. That ryhme was the first thing I learned when we moved from surburban Long Island to rural Floral City Florida. At our home we saw at least one snake a day.

As for snakes, I have never seen any at WDW at least not yet. I have seen some gators and lots of lizards and tree frogs.

28 days until WDW :bounce: :bounce:

I will not get close enough to see if red touches yellow. No way but if it does it is a coral snake and deadly. Lived in Florida 26 years and have not seen one yet. Seen a few black racers and garter snakes and that's it. None on all my trips to Disney but my kids saw a black snake at our site at Ft Wilderness in April. INformed a castmember that it was living under the cabin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter