Sneaker/Shoe protector

Kit Jackson

DIS Veteran
Someone here recommended a product that will help protect shoes/sneakers and keep them dry when it's pouring. Does anyone have a reccomednation on a specific product/band?

No, but I've been thinking about that, too. I'd love to hear about a recommended product.

Now, I can't officially recommend it because it hasn't been tested out yet, but I did get this for what I thought was going to be a rainy Disney trip in February:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XHZ34JY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It had some of the highest reviews on Amazon, but there are other brands of this product on there as well. Fortunately, our weather forecast changed and it was dry the whole weekend and Grizzly was still closed, so I can't vouch for if it works or not.

Now, I can't officially recommend it because it hasn't been tested out yet, but I did get this for what I thought was going to be a rainy Disney trip in February:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XHZ34JY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It had some of the highest reviews on Amazon, but there are other brands of this product on there as well. Fortunately, our weather forecast changed and it was dry the whole weekend and Grizzly was still closed, so I can't vouch for if it works or not.
I was under the impression they were some kind of plastic/silicone thing that went over your shoes and maybe zipped up? I'm not sure though. I found this and other similar things on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/VBoo-Waterpr...s=zipper+overshoes&qid=1712014260&sr=8-2&th=1

I'd love to hear any recommendations or feedback for things that have worked for people!

I was under the impression they were some kind of plastic/silicone thing that went over your shoes and maybe zipped up? I'm not sure though. I found this and other similar things on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/VBoo-Waterpr...s=zipper+overshoes&qid=1712014260&sr=8-2&th=1

I'd love to hear any recommendations or feedback for things that have worked for people!

Aha, yeah, I know people talk about those a lot and there are about a million styles available on Amazon! The OP wasn't specific on if they meant shoe covers or a waterproof spray, so I just went with what I knew.

I thought about buying the shoe covers too, but it was overwhelming! So many had mixed reviews, or worried me that they wouldn't have any traction. (Also, I've tried rain shoes and my feet get so hot so I was like... idk if silicone or plastic covers will be any better than that! But, that's a personal issue.)

I use waterproof hiking shoes, since they're designed to have plenty of traction and can be fully submerged if necessary. In my experience, the sprays can make a shoe more water-resistant (water will bead up on the surface but eventually penetrate) but not truly waterproof (water won't penetrate) (and of course, the spray doesn't do anything for the mesh portions of a shoe).

Aha, yeah, I know people talk about those a lot and there are about a million styles available on Amazon! The OP wasn't specific on if they meant shoe covers or a waterproof spray, so I just went with what I knew.

I thought about buying the shoe covers too, but it was overwhelming! So many had mixed reviews, or worried me that they wouldn't have any traction. (Also, I've tried rain shoes and my feet get so hot so I was like... idk if silicone or plastic covers will be any better than that! But, that's a personal issue.)
Good points! Hopefully the answers we got from others will help us figure it out!
I think shoe covers have the downside of not having a ton of traction on the bottom which could cause slipping.

I've had great luck with my Vessi shoes, they are fully waterproof, a brand of shoe that started in Canada. https://ca.vessi.com/

I use waterproof hiking shoes, since they're designed to have plenty of traction and can be fully submerged if necessary. In my experience, the sprays can make a shoe more water-resistant (water will bead up on the surface but eventually penetrate) but not truly waterproof (water won't penetrate) (and of course, the spray doesn't do anything for the mesh portions of a shoe).

THANK YOU all who responded! This is very helpful. I've tried various things but nothing as yet has worked completely. My rain boots were nice but water ran down inside when it was really coming down.

PatMcDuck, did the overshoes leak at the top at all?

I use the waterproofing spray that Vans shoe stores sell.....I usually spray them the night before and let them dry completely. Works really well for our needs.

I was looking for something to wear over the shoes. Also, I was hoping to hear from people who have actually used in the parks/real world and can say something about whether or not it had any impact on traction. Slipping and falling or having balance issues would not be an enjoyable way to spend time in the theme parks.

Thanks to everyone who has already suggested things and please keep suggesting products. If you want to suggest sprays, that's okay because someone else might be more interested in buying that type of product.

I've used some of the shoe covers similar to some of the ones linked in previous posts. I've used them at both WDW and most recently at Disneyland this past weekend. I have had good luck with them not leaking or tearing until after a few uses. They don't always have the best traction on some surfaces so you do have to walk with caution. When I used them this past weekend the only place that I really had any slipping problems was in the downward ramp area at Soarin', I almost fell 4 times luckily the handrail was close. I also try not to walk over metal plates/grates with the shoe covers on either, that can be slippery as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter