Sneakers?

I know you said you wanted something that could be bought in a store, but my very favorite sneakers are Kuru - particularly the Atom style. As far as I know you can only buy them online. I took a pair to Europe a few years ago and basically lived in them for 3 weeks. We did a ton of walking on cobblestone streets and these definitely passed the test. They have covered many a mile in WDW as well - so comfortable!

My husband swears by Hokas, though.

I have issues where my ankle will turn in when I walk causing pain. Plus I also have plantar fasciitis that will flare up without warning. Hokas are a life saver for me. They are the only brand that I have found that actually controls the issue with my ankles and they fit well with good cushioning.

I walk at least 3.5 miles five or six days a week for exercise. In the past I wore New Balance walking shoes, but for the past two or three years have worn Vionic walking shoes. In addition to my walks, I wear my these shoes to WDW, so I put a lot of miles on them. Although they aren’t necessarily lightweight or cool, I wear them year round and very rarely have any issues with my feet. The style I wear isn’t inexpensive, but it’s worth it to me.

Footwear choice is a very individual decision. What works for me or anyone else might not work for your mother. Also, what feels good in the shoe store or even walking for a mile or two might not work for a longer walk. It’s really trial and error. I agree with an earlier poster to bring at least a couple of pairs of shoes and switch them out if one pair is causing issues.

In 2016 I fell while walking 4 times. All four times I was wearing Skechers. They were designed to be slip resistant and by god they were. The problem with that is that as we age we tend to not lift our feet as high as we did when young. The result of that, with the slip resistance, is that if your foot slides close to the surface and hits it your foot will just stop moving forward throwing off your balance and doing a face plant in places that should never have been a problem.

Don't get me wrong, they are great for wet surfaces but on dry land, not so much. When I fell the first two times I was walking in the mall, the next time was in the queue at Soarin' in Disney World and a couple days later in Universal just walking on dry pavement. I finally put it all together and stopped wearing them and have not fallen or even come close since then.
That's interesting because the REVERSE happened to me today on Skechers. lol. I was in the laundry room which has smooth concerete floors, & it was raining outside, so I went skating across the floor. No gripping at all. Nevertheless, I appreciate your POV. I think the bottom line is Skechers aren't so hot.

That's interesting because the REVERSE happened to me today on Skechers. lol. I was in the laundry room which has smooth concerete floors, & it was raining outside, so I went skating across the floor. No gripping at all. Nevertheless, I appreciate your POV. I think the bottom line is Skechers aren't so hot.
I'm sorry I thought I mentioned that the particular Skechers shoe I was talking about was advertised as a non-slip shoe designed mostly for older people. After the problems I had I became aware that if one is old enough to have traded in a standard walking gait for a short half step then those non-slip shoes are great and probably prevent a slipping situation and because it is a much slower pace, skating across the floor is not going to happen. For them they are perfect, however, if you still walk with a longer step and your foot happens to hit the ground as you are moving your leg forward for the next step, your foot will (and did for me) literally stop dead in it's track. That causes an incomplete movement with a certain amount of forward motion that cannot be stopped causing face plants. Those shoes did exactly what they were intended to do and that was to stop slippage at a much slower pace.

Looks like there are few options. Think I'm going to go the stores and have her try on a few. I think buy 2 different sneakers. I'm going to try an inexpensive and and a higher price one (going to try to hide the price). As I read these posts, I realize it is going to harder than I thought. I will have to worry her corns (need wide), have to be light weight and not hot, then after all that good for walking. She would need to break them in. Trying to encourage her to start walking more now. She walks locally but I don't think she is really aware of the amount walking. the trip will entail Hope the sneakers help. Any other suggests, sneakers or non sneakers advise? I really want her to have a great time. Think preping is key. Thank you for all your advise.

I’ve tried New Balance and Brooks. But, Hokas are so much better! They are pricey.But, worth every penny. They are very supportive in the ankle and arch area. The heel support is super supportive & cushy. I feel like I’m walking on a cloud. Very springy and lightweight. I highly recommend them.

Looks like there are few options. Think I'm going to go the stores and have her try on a few. I think buy 2 different sneakers. I'm going to try an inexpensive and and a higher price one (going to try to hide the price). As I read these posts, I realize it is going to harder than I thought. I will have to worry her corns (need wide), have to be light weight and not hot, then after all that good for walking. She would need to break them in. Trying to encourage her to start walking more now. She walks locally but I don't think she is really aware of the amount walking. the trip will entail Hope the sneakers help. Any other suggests, sneakers or non sneakers advise? I really want her to have a great time. Think preping is key. Thank you for all your advise.
I don't remember if it was mentioned before but if all else fails renting a scooter is a god send. I have had lower back issues for a few years now and found that I could no longer walk constantly without experiencing debilitating pain. I swallowed my pride and rented one (from offsite) and what a difference it made. You can rent one in the parks but it is grossly expensive and it is so slow that snails would think they are running. Good for a beginner though.

I wasn't an invalid and I'm sure that when I got up off the scooter to ride the attraction there were a number of people thinking "look at that lazy SOB". I could get off it and walk normally long enough to go on the ride, but walking further then 500 yards or standing for over 10 minutes was impossible. I don't know who invented the scooter, but I am a fan. For me it brought the fun back to theme parks and could stay all day pain free and having fun. Might not have burnt any calories but that's what is good about knowing that nothing you eat while on vacation has any calories anyway.

Shoes are very subjective. The important thing is to go somewhere that she can be properly measured and that offers a wide variety of brands to try on. If her feet swell when she walks a lot, it might be a good idea to go shoe shopping when they are puffy. You can always add an extra pair of socks when they aren’t swollen, but if the shoes get too tight, there’s not much you can do.

The thing that made walking difficult for me in Europe, and I was not elderly, was all the uneven pavements. Several times I came very close to turning an ankle, especially when there was a rounded stone much higher than the surrounding ones. If she has somewhere close to home where the pavement is cobblestone or uneven brick, it might be a good idea to spend some time breaking in the new shoes in that environment.

My personal favorite is the Propet Wash and Wear Walker. It slips on and off without any laces or straps, has decent support for my high arches, and comes up to 4E in width (I need the 2E). True to their name, even though they are leather, you can throw them in the wash (not dryer) and they come out perfectly clean. It also means getting them wet does not damage them. I don’t know what I will do when I can’t get them anymore.

I'm a New Balance fan...I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of sneakers, plus I wear NB trail shoes for hiking and just bought NB hiking boots for an upcoming, more intense hiking trip. That said, I'm very intrigued by Hoka and I think I'll give them a try next time I'm in the market. I'm 65 years old, routinely walk or hike 3 miles per day and put in ~10 miles per day at DL and WDW (DL for a day or 2 about once a month, WDW once or twice a year for a week).
Out of curiosity, when you say "elderly," how old are we talking? I sometimes see news reports that mention an "elderly" person and then go on to say they're in their 60's...LOL. I'm not offended, it's just interesting how one's POV changes as one ages!
An additional bit of advice--I'd try to go bagless as much as possible. There are lots of "hiking" pants with 4 or 5 zippered pockets that can hold the necessities--phone, ID, credit card, glasses, etc. It can help deter theft, plus it's just easier to do anything without a bag to deal with, in my opinion. These pants are lightweight, cool, and have SPF protection too!

I'm a New Balance fan...I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of sneakers, plus I wear NB trail shoes for hiking and just bought NB hiking boots for an upcoming, more intense hiking trip. That said, I'm very intrigued by Hoka and I think I'll give them a try next time I'm in the market. I'm 65 years old, routinely walk or hike 3 miles per day and put in ~10 miles per day at DL and WDW (DL for a day or 2 about once a month, WDW once or twice a year for a week).
Out of curiosity, when you say "elderly," how old are we talking? I sometimes see news reports that mention an "elderly" person and then go on to say they're in their 60's...LOL. I'm not offended, it's just interesting how one's POV changes as one ages!
An additional bit of advice--I'd try to go bagless as much as possible. There are lots of "hiking" pants with 4 or 5 zippered pockets that can hold the necessities--phone, ID, credit card, glasses, etc. It can help deter theft, plus it's just easier to do anything without a bag to deal with, in my opinion. These pants are lightweight, cool, and have SPF protection too!
Yup, at 75 I find that amusing as well. Here they are talking like they have one foot in the grave and the other foot on a banana. They turn out to be 62 and healthy, just old. My last trip there I was 71 and rode everything except space mountain which is a coaster that I dislike with a passion. Of course, before someone says it, you can be in bad physical shape at 62 as well, but with further digging you find that it is based on age only. Someone in there 30 think that someone in there 60's are just plan elderly. To confess when I was growing up people in their 60's were old looking and acting. They probably worked harder all their lives whereas, by comparison, we didn't.

She will be 80. She walks to nearby shops. Goes up and down the stairs. She has slowed down a bit after knee surgery 1-1/2 years ago. It took her longer to recovery than she thought. I'm concerned with the cobble streets and the amount of walking. It can be a long period on uneven ground. She had a cane after the surgery but she doesn't use it now. Don't think she use it properly when she used it after surgery. Not sure if she should bring it, just in case. I'm not thinking she can't do this trip. I just want to prepare for any obstacle that may come in her way. Europe can be tiring for any age and any level of fit. I just want her to have her best trip. She has been waiting so long to go. Thank you for all the info. It has been so helpful.

Last edited:
I wear On UltraCloud. I walk the parks 3-4 times a week, usually doing 10-15k steps. This is the first pair of On sneakers I owned and I didn’t have to break them in. They were comfortable from day 1, and my feet never ache. I used to wear APL with gel inserts and I’d ache like crazy after a relatively short walk.

Anyway, I recommend them!!

Schedule her with a podiatrist for the corn problem and go with her. You’ll get great shoe advice for you moms foot and maybe have a plan to decease the corn problem by then. I managed to take care of a corn before my last Disney trip and that was amazingly helpful!

Skechers with the cooling memory foam use to always be my go to when having to travel long distance or for standing for long hours.

I've been very happy with Nike Air Max over the years. I've had a bunch of broken bones in my feet, and they seem to have the amount of both support and cushion that works for me. I usually buy men's because they feel like they have more toe room.

Not sure where to post this. It's not actually Disney related but who else know about walking and walking all day.

My elderly is looking to go to Europe. She has longed to to go. However, is concerned of all the walking. As am I. Especially cobble stone roads of Europe. Up and down hills.

This is why I am posting...
What type of sneakers will be good for an elderly women who has corns? Need extra wide.
Also, going in August. Can't be heavy or hot of a sneakers.
Want to find 2 pairs and start breaking them in.

It would be hard to order to try. We would probably go thru many. What stores can I take her to try on good sneakers?
Which types of sneakers?
Brands?

Any other suggestions about traveling to Europe in August?

Thank you. I would really like for her dream to come true. Hoping it's not too late. Any input greatly appreciated.
Take her to a running store to get fitted properly.

In another comment about cobblestone roads, I think you should know that Europe is in many ways far more advanced then we are. The only cobblestone roads or walking areas are in historic displays. The regular terrain is smooth and concrete or asphalt. I was in Paris, Venice, Rome, Pompeii and Barcelona and only delt with uneven surfaces were in the ruins of Pompeii, The Colosseum in Rome and the ruins of the Roman Forum. Every other place offered no obstacles.

Thank you for all your help. I finally got her sneakers. We went to a running store. She did try Hoka but she liked this pair better. I'm not famliar with it. Curious on your thoughts on the pair. Its Saucony Omni 21 Alloy/Rainfall. I bought them so she doesn't know the price. Otherwise she would not have gotten it. Hoping this is a good pair.

I know this may not be welcomed by your mom (my mom is a force) but she might consider taking along a collapsible walking stick too. I'm in my sixties, and don't normally use one, but I had a problem with my hip a few years ago, and I really appreciated having something to lean on. Like I said, it's hard to accept for one who has never used one, but it could come in handy. Kudos to your mom for her adventurous spirit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter