Snorkel equipment ?

Just a comment/suggestion about dive masks for those of us without 20/20 vision. If you are a contact lens wearer, you may not need a prescription mask. I am very nearsighted and have been scuba diving and snorkeling with a standard mask and my soft contacts for many years. If you are comfortable in open water, you might try this before investing in an expensive prescription mask (remember, prescriptions change). This will not work in chlorinated water, however, because the lenses act as a filter and collect the chlorine.

DisGo2Girl

Is the Snorkle area at CC free to use at anytime if we have our own snorkels?

We have the snorkels and masks but no fins or vests

Thanks
Kay

Is the Snorkle area at CC free to use at anytime if we have our own snorkels?
Yes, you can dive in anytime. The best snorkeling, we found, was earlier in the day---prior to 1 pm or so. We also had our own snorkel/masks. The vests are distributed free-of-charge. I did end up renting just the fins---they did help me to navigate in the water a little better. Very difficult to walk in though.....I had a couple people in stitches.......;)

Originally posted by DisGo2Girl
Just a comment/suggestion about dive masks for those of us without 20/20 vision. If you are a contact lens wearer, you may not need a prescription mask.

I think you're stating the obvious there. :p

Seriously, if she could wear contacts, the prescription mask would not have been needed. That's kind of why I said 'if you cannot see without glasses'. And we're very aware prescriptions change, but it should be good for a number of years, at least being close to her current one, better than not doing it at all.

I was trying to warn people, as dw had been snorkeling in the past, a good number of years ago, and had no idea that now, with a stronger prescription, she'd have issues. Discovered it the hard way last cruise trying to snorkel at CC.

It cost me about 55 bucks to get my prescription lenses inserted in my snorkel mask, and IMHO, it has been worth every penny. I have used the mask 40 to 50 times, so it really paid off for me. Contacts for me are very expensive because of astigmtism (spelling?).

Another place to get masks, snorkels and fins....

My DH and I just purchased 2 adult mask and snorkel sets at Costco. They were $22 each...really nice, they have the dry snorkel that closes up if it happens to dip below the surface so you're not swallowing a ton of sea water. :)

They had fins too, I think around $17 a set. We didn't get those...yet.

Happy Snorkeling.

I bought my own equipment and there was no discount on the excursions. I went on the Trunk Bay snorkel excursion and I paid full price. Also, at CC they do make everyone wear a life vest, but they will provide it free of charge. Hope this helps...

Just bought my 9yr old DD an awesome USDivers Jr. set w/backpack from Costco, only $25!

Dh and I have ours as we are divers. But I was really impressed with the quality they had at costco. Tempered mask, the new shorter split fins, and an awesome purge snorkel!

We are definately bringing our own gear. There's nothing like the freedom of being able to hop into the water whenever you want and explore:Pinkbounc

Does anyone know if flotation device are provided when you snorkle on Castaway Cay? My ds, age 6, can swim, but a life jacket would help :)

:bounce: :bounce:

Wonder - 6/11

Does anyone know if flotation device are provided when you snorkle on Castaway Cay? My ds, age 6, can swim, but a life jacket would help
Yep, as mentioned in a couple of previous posts, life jackets are provided at no charge. Have a fun cruise :D

We don't have a Costco in our area. The closest one that I'm aware of is in Atlanta, which is 2-1/2 hrs. away. How much does it cost to join?

I'm really interested in these sets that other posters have bought at Costco. I'm afraid to buy a cheap set elsewhere, not knowing if it is good quality or not. We've never been snorkeling except at Typhoon Lagoon, and I am TERRIBLE at it!! :rolleyes: But, we will be snorkeling during our cruise, and would like to purchase our own sets.

i have always had good luck ordering at www.diversdirect.com and some of their sets are pretty inexpensive. You may want to check their site out...

Originally posted by disneyfan551
We don't have a Costco in our area. The closest one that I'm aware of is in Atlanta, which is 2-1/2 hrs. away. How much does it cost to join?

I'm really interested in these sets that other posters have bought at Costco. I'm afraid to buy a cheap set elsewhere, not knowing if it is good quality or not. We've never been snorkeling except at Typhoon Lagoon, and I am TERRIBLE at it!! :rolleyes: But, we will be snorkeling during our cruise, and would like to purchase our own sets.

Do you have a Sam's Club near you? There is one right here in Montgomery AL and they carry the same snorkel sets as Costco. My DH picked up three sets for our family to use on our cruise (the first sign of him also being excited about the cruise :D ) and they seem to be very nice.

I am cruising on the Wonder 5/25/03 and have rented snorkeling gear for CC. I wear glasses and cannot wear contacts. When I called to book my excursion I asked the reservationist if the mask would work over my glasses. She put me on hold and came back with a "yes". I made the reservation. Is this correct...will I be able to put the mask over my prescription glasses without any trouble/leakage? I understand I must cancel 2 days prior or I still have to pay for the rental - I'm guessing even if it does not work. Any feedback?

Thanks!

Good question . . .

I'm not sure either way, but my step mom has terrible vision and has a prescription set mask. For my 8 yo ds, we're getting him a prescription mask as well. He can't see anything without his glasses. I wear contacts and have snorkled with them in using a mask with no problem (I have gas permeable lenses). I think it would be hard to make a seal with glasses on b/c of the stems. Where the mask hits my face on the sides is where the stems are some distance from my face.

My suggestion would be to go to Sports Authority, Costco, Walmart, where you could try a mask on over your glasses and see if does seal.

Hope you can work it out . . .

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Cruising Wonder 6/15/03 .. .oh, so close!

Whoever said that is umm... smoking something :p

There is no way you could get a mask to seal with glasses. The stems that go over your ears will for sure break the seal and cause huge leakage.

Here's what I did to deal with the glasses/mask problem:

I brought my own mask (Body Glove kit from Costco, highly recommended), so I can't say for sure whether this method will work with the CC masks. I have a pair of prescription safety glasses from work (slightly stronger frame, thicker lenses), and I removed the side earpieces (what are those called anyway?), leaving just the lenses with the front part of the frame and the nose pads.

I was able to mount the glasses in the mask by sticking each side of the frame into the silicone on each side of the mask. The glasses actually stayed in place pretty well, and for the first time in my life, I could see underwater! It's not optimal (extra surfaces for droplets and fogging), but definitely cheaper than contacts or prescription masks, at least for a single vacation.

This could probably work with non-safety glasses, although some weaker wire frames might bend under the stress. And I really don't know if it would work with the CC masks - but you could always bring some sticky wax or something (duct tape?) to mount the glasses in place.

Here's the snorkel set I used: snorkel set. Unfortunately, it's not available at Costco at the moment, but we found a set on eBay back in February.

Good luck - and have a great cruise!

April

Dh did the same thing with cementing an old pair of glasses, minus the earpieces, into a mask, and it worked pretty well for him. Certainly cheaper than an Rx lens, and better visibility than no correction at all.

Great information on snorkeling equipment. I read that fins were not necessary, but did make manuevering through the water easier. Any other thoughts on this? Also, if I have my own snorkel and mask, how much is it to rent fins only on Castaway Cay?

Thanks!

Fins on CC are $9/pair. We thought about making reservations for them once we were on board the Magic, but when it became obvious that the Guest Services people didn't even know that one could rent fins separately, we decided to wing it once we reached the island - and it worked out just fine.

I found that fins are definitely worth it, in order to move through the water with a lot less effort. It takes a comedy routine to get them on and stumble into the water, but once you're afloat, swimming becomes a lot easier.

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter