Snorkeling - St. Kitts

glk2009

DIS Veteran
We are going on our first Carribbean cruise and I am researching snorkeling excursions for our family... me, DH, DD11 and DD7.

I was wondering if DD7 who isn't the strongest swimmer (yet!) would be ok on one of the excursions. She is old enough and meets the requirements, but DH is concerned that the currents would be too strong for her.

Also, are life jackets provided on the excursions?

If the excursion isn't a good idea, how is snorkeling at the beach?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I couldn't find the info with a search. But, I could be a bad searcher!

TIA!!!

Our only boat snorkeling excursion was in Grand Cayman and not through the ship, however, they did provide float vests and it was quite wavy that day so they put out a line for us to hold onto. Kiddo was 7 at the time, a pretty good swimmer, and he enjoyed it except that he had little experience with a snorkel and kept getting a mouthful of water (would try and talk about the mouth piece). Perhaps practice with that at a local pool if you can? If she is old enough, they will be able to accommodate and ensure everyone is safe. Beach snorkeling tends to see less but would be easier for her. As for how good it would be, that depends on the beach. We have been to St Kitts and went to Reggae Beach, it was very cloudy with kicked up sand so not the best for snorkeling. I think some of the other spots are less popular/crowded so would have more to see.

What are your other ports? Perhaps one of those would be a better snorkeling choice?

Thank you! Our other ports are St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee.

That is a great idea to practice with a snorkel. DD7 has used one of those crazy full face snorkel masks and totally didn't understand that we couldn't hear her when she tried to talk to us. =)

If the snorkeling doesn't work out, they will just be happy to be on the beach!

Thanks!

Thank you! Our other ports are St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee.

That is a great idea to practice with a snorkel. DD7 has used one of those crazy full face snorkel masks and totally didn't understand that we couldn't hear her when she tried to talk to us. =)

If the snorkeling doesn't work out, they will just be happy to be on the beach!

Thanks!

After our cruise where we tried snorkeling I got one of those masks and LOVE it myself. Kiddo does not. He finds it doesn't fit his face very well. He is older/bigger now though so we may try again!

In Labadee one of the beaches has some pretty decent snorkeling. There are a few beaches, one is much more soft sand and great for swimming, the one we snorkeled at had more rocks and was much quieter (fewer people around). I take along some inflatable pool noodles and we float around on those with faces in the water (kiddo uses just goggles most of the time). Easy to pack and I get them at the dollar store so if we have trouble deflating before coming home I just leave them behind. We saw a lot of fish and things just doing that. After we did the roller coaster twice and spent an hour on the inflatables in the water.

I am going to shop for inflatable pool noodles! Fingers crossed since it’s winter, lol.

We have plans for the coaster too!

Thank you!!!

we went snorkeling in st thomas once. it was on a 'pirate ship' and once you had your gear on, you jumped over the side, which to me was a mile down. i dont swim and was hesitant. a lady that worked on the boat asked what i was doing. i said i dont swim, i'm not sure about jumping. she said 'you dont swim?! why are you here??' a very nice man that worked on the boat told me to take my flippers off and climb down a ladder into the water. he was very reassuring. i did just that and it was one of the best experiences of my life. have a great time!

Hello, as a diver I will say that snorkeling in St. Kitts is not that great but for less experienced snorkelers try Shipwreck beach. There is a secluded cove that is very calm and has Parrotfish and other nice fish. You can get a taxi there for $5.00 each and there are bathrooms and showers.

I recently took my 7 year old niece on her first 2 snorkel excursions in Mexico (Costa Maya & Cozumel). The guides knew it was going to be her first experiences and in both places the they threw in a flotation device/ring for her to hold on to. They provided all the gear (except we had our own snorkel piece) and life vests. Since we had waves it helped her a lot. She loved it as we saw a lot of different things. Had to explain to her you normally don't see that much in just two excursions. She loves the water and swims when ever she gets the chance but I had her practice in the bath tub quite a bit before we left for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter