Snorkeling/tropical excursions

GatorChris

Not of This World
6 years ago, we spent a week on Maui. Can I say... that island is amazing! Wishing Aulani was there instead of Oahu. Anyway....When we were there, there were things we did that I'd like to find something similar on Oahu.

First, we did a Molokini Crater/Wailea Turtle are snorkel excursion. That was a lot of fun and just amazing all around. Does Oahu have anything like this? Or is it just snorkel at your beach or the east side?

Also, we loved the road to Hana. So many tropical trails that we could easily navigate. Felt very "hawaiian" to do that. Where are some good spots on Oahu to that. I think I read something about Tantalus, but I dont' have much info on it.

There are plenty of folks here who know Oahu better than I, but we snorkeled at Hanauma Bay and Sharks Cove. Sharks Cove is on the north shore and is very rocky (very sharp volcanic rock) and a fairly small area. We enjoyed it as part of a north shore touring day, but we didn't see tons of fish. We probably only spent a couple of hours there.

Now, we thought Hanauma Bay was awesome. You can google it and find a million pics, but it's a gigantic lagoon so even if there are tons of people there, you're still not swimming all over each other. We saw tons of fish and the water is insanely clear. (Someone here posted recently that it was "gross," but I can't imagine why and I've never heard that elsewhere.) It may not compare to the experience at Molokini (my #1 must-do for next trip), but for the ease of access and the price, I think it's awesome. And I love Kona Brewing Co beer, which is just right down the road, so I recommend lunch or dinner there afterward :)

Aulani has rainbow reef...while its not going to compare very well to hanauma bay, or the turtle snorkling you described...its right there in aulani so convenience could be a big plus (depending on how long you’re there a length of stay pass could be good)

For hiking the most popular with tourists are diamond head and manoa falls, neither are too difficult, and both are very very different from each other.

Depending on what you like, kaena point could be another option...be warned its a very long hike along the coast (probably easier to go from yokohama bay in the morning traffic wise). It gets hot, theres no bathrooms, and little if any shelter...might sound like something no one would want to do, but you can find pics online of kaena point that might show you why quite a few people make the long hike there and back. Just don’t go at all if theres high surf advisories.

Not really a whole lot of forest trails that are easy other than manoa falls...maybe kamananui trail (which is technically the only legal way to the top of the stairway to heavan that I’m aware of...but its long...25+ mile hike there and back...and difficult) you don’t have to take the trail all the way to the end (and if you don’t its a pretty easy hike)...but be sure to where bright clothing and be wary of the river that can swell up pretty good if theres heavy rains towards the back of the valley.

Theres also the light house near hanauma bay thats a fairly popular hike. Tantalus is more for the view at the top, or the park thats about half way up (the “hike” is along a winding road unless you do quite a bit of climbing, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter