so confused....Princess or RCL choice

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
DH and I are looking at going on a shorter (5-6 day) cruise over my school's March break next year. But I've never been on a non-Disney cruise so I'm really torn about the choice.
There are two RCL choices, one on Independence (5 nights) and one on Freedom (6). Both leave out of Fort Lauderdale. Independence goes to Cozumel and Costa Maya while Freedom also adds Cayman; I've been to Cozumel and Cayman in 2004 on the Magic. Freedom is a little cheaper than Independence for an extra day, which confuses me more, but both are around $2000.
The Crown Princess has a 5 night leaving out of Lauderdale as well. Two ports, Amber Cove and Grand Turk, neither of which I have been to. For the same money I can book what they call a "club class" mini-suite, which entitles me to priority embarkation and debarkation and no waits for anytime dining and a dedicated seating area for that as well. I can't lie, it seems like that room would be more "special" than the RCL superior ocean view balcony rooms (and a RCL suite is more than I want to spend).
We will both be 54, no kids going (the youngest is in college anyhow). Like good food and good service and a clean room with a great view, and nice adults only areas.
Thanks for any feedback. I know this board is "Royal Caribbean" but I am assuming it covers all cruises that are non-DCL.

Are you familiar with cruise critic dot com? Super helpful people and tons of info... it's for cruisers, similar to the Dis.
You could look for the specific ships, itineraries and see what would most peek ur interest. They ll likely also be a roll call where people indicate they are on the same cruise, some meet up ... or not lol
If it's break time I'd personally prefer Less kids, and more Adult oriented options...they ll likely be able to steer you correctly in that regard and much more.
I've cruised RCCL and Would again without hesitation.

Yes I've been on CC. The problem there is that I could ask that question on both the Princess and RC boards, and of course that board favors that option. I was hoping someone here had been on both and could give me some insight. The ones I'm looking at seem so identical right now--not the ports, but the price.

Well, I haven't been on Princess at all, or those classes of RCCL ships (I love RCCL's Radiance Class though), but I can tell you Amber Cove is a manufactured port to bring ships to the southern side of the DR. There is a pool, a restaurant, some cabanas (they made me laugh compared to Disney's), and of course shops. A DI (of course) and some other big ones...but there is a place for local artisans there also where nothing is over $20. If you go that route, be sure to check the fathom area as they have stuff for sale from Repapel and Chocal, which are two women's co-ops that they work with (and Princess might even have "excursions" to one or the other). Puerto Plata is ok...Playa Dorada is a nice beach, but as it's connected to resorts you'd probably need to do a tour that included it or see if they do Resort for a Day.

I've always been a sail for the itinerary type. That said, I think both lines have ups and downs.

The Princess crowd definitely skews older. I Find the Princess ships really well appointed.

I've yet to find MDR food that I like so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I found the MDR food in Princess really bad. However the upcharge restaurants were really good. The quick snack places are among the better of the mainstream lines.

RCCL MDR and upcharge are both mediocre at best. The buffet and little quick serve snack places are just ick.

I find the feel of the Princess ships to be a little more refined-it's not like the Four seasons compared to a Days Inn or anything but just a little.

Princess also has amazing Movies Under the Stars. They put padded covers on the pool chairs and blankets and the pop fresh popcorn on deck with warm cookies and coffee/tea. It was such a nice way to spend an evening.

Overall, I prefer Princess to RCCL all else being equal.

Also 50s couple. Imho princess is a step up from rccl. I have been on similar cruises on both. Mdr on princess is better than rccl imho. Love the nightly movies on princess.
Rccl is a fine cruise too. More active stuff on rccl with flow rider ice skating rock walk etc. princess missed amber cove in Jan bc of wind. If you would use flow then rccl. Otherwise princess.

I have cruised on both... my thoughts.... Food is better on Royal Caribbean. In fact, most things are better on Royal Caribbean.
Princess cruises (as we tended to see on the... 4? cruises we were on with them had a significantly older clientele. The first day we on-board Princess we always noticed that the upper decks looked like a senior-citizen bus stop (all travel-weary seniors waiting to get to their beds. (Sure there are younger folks and families...but MUCH less than RCCL.) The food couldn't compare - neither could the activities. The thing we DID love though was the movies under the stars at night. The audio was crisp and clear, and the popcorn and warm blankets were a treat as you cuddled up on chaise lounges. THAT I will miss.
But given a choice? Royal Caribbean ALL the WAY!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter