So done with Costco Travel!

LeiaOfAlderaan

DIS Veteran
I received confirmation from Costco that they cancelled my cruise on 3/19 (well, DCL cancelled my cruise but I requested a refund instead of a cruise credit). I’ve been waiting patiently for my $ because I figured it would take them a while to process all the refunds. I finally decided to call today to see what’s going on. Costco is not even answering the phone right now. So I called DCL directly and the CM I spoke to said Costco hasn’t even requested the refund!! I was already thinking of not using them for future cruises but this is the last straw. I can understand being busy but I cancelled a 2021 cruise 4/1 and I already received part of my deposit back. Sorry for the rant—but this horrible service is just not worth the Costco shop card anymore.

In my cancellation email (after DCL cancelled and I filled out the Costco form asking for a refund) they said it might take up to 90 days to get the refund. Seems more than a bit excessive. Not sure how it could or should take that long.

I received confirmation from Costco that they cancelled my cruise on 3/19 (well, DCL cancelled my cruise but I requested a refund instead of a cruise credit). I’ve been waiting patiently for my $ because I figured it would take them a while to process all the refunds. I finally decided to call today to see what’s going on. Costco is not even answering the phone right now. So I called DCL directly and the CM I spoke to said Costco hasn’t even requested the refund!! I was already thinking of not using them for future cruises but this is the last straw. I can understand being busy but I cancelled a 2021 cruise 4/1 and I already received part of my deposit back. Sorry for the rant—but this horrible service is just not worth the Costco shop card anymore.

I can understand your frustration, but I can also understand that Costco Travel is overwhelmed with requests for cancellations right now. My understanding is that they are processing requests they've received in order of sail date. So a cruise in May 2020 is going to get processed before a cruise in May 2021.

It sounds as though you were already unhappy with their service before this situation arose, so it makes sense that you would not want to use them again. If you were happy with their service prior to the current situation, then I'd cut them some slack.

The refunds from the cancelled sailings are being done differently then a cruise you cancelled for a future date. Since Disney has many to process, and the accounting is very different, the refunds are taking much longer. This is not just Disney, but just about every cruise line and travel provider that had to cancel travel.

Costco's call center is also in one of the US epicenters for the virus. Does not help them.

Even with agents WFH, being in one of the early hot zones creates a lot of staffing and cycle issues.

I have the same with the flight I had for the Easter weekend, flights got cancelled.
However, I work for this airline, I knew the issues, tricks and all the tiny details of what I could do / was entitled to. I can look up my reservation in our system. And I knew that I had till September to request a voucher for a cancelled flight in this situation. So I was waiting, because the voucher is valid 12 months after it's issued, not 12 months from my cancelled flight. I only forgot, I had booked via a third party. They send me an e-mail that they were taking care of everything and I would receive an e-mail with the voucher in a few weeks. I've checked our reservation system, I can see the request for a voucher hasn't even been made! And it's over 3 weeks since my flight got cancelled.

I can understand your frustration, but I can also understand that Costco Travel is overwhelmed with requests for cancellations right now. My understanding is that they are processing requests they've received in order of sail date. So a cruise in May 2020 is going to get processed before a cruise in May 2021.

That is what is so disappointing—my cruise was supposed to leave April 5 and I requested the refund a month ago. Costco totally dropped the ball and didn’t even process my request even though they said they did. And they did already process the refund for our Feb 2021 cruise. I called back and was at least able to give a call back number instead of being hung up on, so I guess that’s something.

Sorry this is happening. This situation is really bringing out the ugly truth about some companies. Some companies are stepping up, and others are seeing their flaws get magnified on a much larger scale as customer service needs increase. This is hardly the first awful experience with Costco Travel that has been reported here, but the reports are more common now that something has gone wrong and Costco is showing just how bad its customer service is to a lot more folks.

Reminds me of the thread on here that brought to light that some airlines that offered only credit for cancelled/changed flights were actually obligated to provide a refund, and some were being more difficult than others about complying when they were called out on it.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about DCL. I wish they had taken the approach Disney World did of extending their rebooking special offer (free dining) to people with bookings in May for whom no park closure has been officially announced. By comparison, I wish DCL would offer 125% rebooking incentives to people in late May or early June whose cruises haven't been officially cancelled yet (I don't view 100% as a good offer because it converts a mostly refundable fare into a non-refundable one--like a *GT rate without the discount). That said, I do appreciate that DCL has been refunding deposits or giving the 125% retroactively to people who cancelled/rebooked before their cruise was officially cancelled by DCL. I do wish they would communicate more what they are thinking and why (e.g., do they know they are going to cancel through x date and are just rolling out cancellations slowly for processing purposes, or do they really think they'll be up and running soon). The lack of transparency has been frustrating.

Well sorry to be opposite in opinions -
I do agree that Costco is extra busy, and service maybe not up to usual. I called today, as soon as I saw DCL canceled my end of May cruise!
I could tell the worker was tired, and most definitely working from home!
Non the Less, she worked tireless for me -

I was on the phone all day! But in the end, my cruise was rescheduled for next May. I was able to use my 125% credit ON THE SPOT! Which enabled me to have a longer cruise, with a better room, for next May! And I ended up with $700 onboard credit as well!

Guess what? I asked her to push for me to use my placeholder that was used on this years ressie- it will expire before next May-
And DCL honored it! What luck!!!

So i say yay Costco, my days work sure paid off.... I also get a Cash Card upon my return! AND yay DCL - way to prove that you want my return business!!

I say this especially because I had a March 15th cruise with RCCL canceled (as we were on route to the port) and we have yet to see a dime or hear from them- so again the Costco agent worked on my behalf again, after the DCL call, to phone RCCL and look into where the heck that $$$ is!!!

Be patient and understand everyone makes mistakes, overall Costco is doing their best, IMO. All of us are trying to figure a million things out in these trying times!

I had a May 8th cruise that I had booked through Costco. I called the day it was announced that the cruise is cancelled - I spent a lot of time on the phone, but the Costco agent really worked with me and I was able to rebook with the 125% credit while on the phone with them. They had to go back and forth between me and DCL on the phone, but the guy really worked for me and helped me get exactly what I want.

In my cancellation email (after DCL cancelled and I filled out the Costco form asking for a refund) they said it might take up to 90 days to get the refund. Seems more than a bit excessive. Not sure how it could or should take that long.

Other cruise lines are telling people that cancel directly with them that the refund could take up to 60 days. I can understand that adding in another level of processing would add extra time. 90 days for a refund isnt ideal but we are far from ideal circumstances.

I did finally have someone call me back after 1-1/2 hours and he called DCL directly to cancel, as they should have done a month ago. The agents I’ve dealt with are usually helpful and pleasant, but for me it’s just not worth the headache of adding in a middleman anymore. I waited for hours to book a cruise on opening day a few months ago and was not happy about that so I was already considering dropping them. It is a bummer to give up the shop card though so I totally get why people use them.

I was on the phone all day! But in the end, my cruise was rescheduled for next May. I was able to use my 125% credit ON THE SPOT! Which enabled me to have a longer cruise, with a better room, for next May! And I ended up with $700 onboard credit as well!

Guess what? I asked her to push for me to use my placeholder that was used on this years ressie- it will expire before next May-

That’s nice but just to point out the 125% credit was automatically applied to everyone whose cruises were cancelled today, and DCL has been honoring placeholder discounts for everyone too, so Costco didn’t actually have to do anything to get you those things. It is when Costco has to opt out of the default 125% rebooking and instead get customers a refund that they seem to be letting people down.

This is hardly the first awful experience with Costco Travel that has been reported here, but the reports are more common now that something has gone wrong and Costco is showing just how bad its customer service is to a lot more folks.

the people answering the phones are human. If they are at their center, there are very few of them there, and they are in the same crisis we ALL our. If they are working from home, they are in the same crisis we ALL are, and they might have kids they need to keep on track with schoolwork, dogs that need to go out and spouses that are bugging them. They are all humans, trying their best.

Just wanted to check something... when you say you were able to push out your placeholder benefits, that means you got the “on board booking” discount of 10% and the $250 (per room) credit? Thanks.

I do agree that Costco is extra busy, and service maybe not up to usual. I called today, as soon as I saw DCL canceled my end of May cruise!

So i say yay Costco, my days work sure paid off.... I also get a Cash Card upon my return! AND yay DCL - way to prove that you want my return business!!

I say this especially because I had a March 15th cruise with RCCL canceled (as we were on route to the port) and we have yet to see a dime or hear from them- so again the Costco agent worked on my behalf again, after the DCL call, to phone RCCL and look into where the heck that $$$ is!!!

Be patient and understand everyone makes mistakes, overall Costco is doing their best, IMO. All of us are trying to figure a million things out in these trying times!

I love this, many agents no matter the location. This has effected the entire country. Thank you.

Just wanted to check something... when you say you were able to push out your placeholder benefits, that means you got the “on board booking” discount of 10% and the $250 (per room) credit? Thanks.
10% off yes.. I don’t think they ever gave a $250 credit though. It used to be $100 credit for less than 7 nights and $200 for 7 night or longer cruises. They did away with the onboard credit last year but people with placeholders booked before the change were “grandfathered in” and still get the credit in addition to the discount.

Ugh that's terrible. I had a similar situation with a hotel. I cancelled it and was told refund in 5-10 business days. On the 10th business day I hadn't received the refund so called again. They said the same thing again, another 5-10 days. Called AGAIN on second "10th day" and was told that it was never refunded. This time the lady was actually doing her job and said she is pressing the button for the refund and does not understand why it wasn't actually refunded yet. I got it soon after. Very frustrating. Companies are telling us not to call unless necessary but then not following through and having us call multiple times. It would be much more efficient if you just do it from the first go.

STILL waiting on my HAL refund. Cancelled 3/8 >:(. Was told same thing initially: 5-10 days, called, 5-10 more days, called, then 60. If on the 60th day we don't get it I'm going to see if my CC will do a charge back.

That’s nice but just to point out the 125% credit was automatically applied to everyone whose cruises were cancelled today, and DCL has been honoring placeholder discounts for everyone too, so Costco didn’t actually have to do anything to get you those things. It is when Costco has to opt out of the default 125% rebooking and instead get customers a refund that they seem to be letting people down.
It is nice! Costco did ask for me and my request was honored! DCL is not honoring for everyone, and especially if you do not mention it, as has been for my family and friends. Costco IS my agent so I HAD to use them in this case, AND I am very happy with my rebooking results!

If you read my entire post you would see that I have also requested a refund for a different and earlier cruise, and as for me, Costco has done everthing they can for me! The agent even called again yesterday to look into my refund request! I mean really, the cruiselines have to send the refund??!!! Many of us are waiting- all that any agent can do for me is request a refund, and my agent has done that numerous times. I need the cruiseline to refund my thousands of dollars!! LOL. And actually Costco even sent us our Cash Card for the canceled cruise to boot!! Not much more I personally can ask of them. Sorry if you ha e had a different experience!

YES!!! 😊 $200 for over 7 nts

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter