So excited for the Fort!!!!

andi220

Earning My Ears
I am so very excited, when I was a child, I stayed at the Fort twice. Mind you, that was 25+ years ago. I recently convinced my husband to take a week getaway to the Fort! My girls have been wanting to stay there (ages 16 and 14). Any tips would be appreciated! Our trip is planned for Sept 14-20. Thank you in advance!
:hyper::dance3:

Welcome, Andi! I think you and your husband and girls will have a total blast. I didn't have any real desire to stay at the Fort until last year presented the opportunity when my parents got an RV (we stayed at the Poly while I was growing up). Last year I truly fell in love with it! My only advice is to take some time to really enjoy it there - there are so many things to do and enjoy there at the Fort, and we really didn't take enough advantage of that last year, because we were more focused on going to the parks. This year we have set aside at least half of our days to just enjoy the Fort and what it has to offer - canoes, bikes, swimming, etc.

And that's definitely not too early for Halloween decor! That was another thing I really loved about our October trip last year. Since MNSSHPs will have already started, I say it's fair game. :)

I am so very excited, when I was a child, I stayed at the Fort twice. Mind you, that was 25+ years ago. I recently convinced my husband to take a week getaway to the Fort! My girls have been wanting to stay there (ages 16 and 14). Any tips would be appreciated! Our trip is planned for Sept 14-20. Thank you in advance!
:hyper::dance3:

So how are you going to introduce your family to the Fort? Tent camping? Popup? Travel trailer? RV? Fort Cabin? Trailer rental?

Leave a day in the schedule just to hang out mostly at the Fort and relax. On our down day we head out in the mornings for a while (like to DTD) then back to the Fort for lunch, nap, pool, campfire, movies, fireworks, EWP, yada yada. :upsidedow

Bama Ed

We are going to tent camp. We have a large tent and are trying to do the trip fairly cheaply. My husband is active duty and we will be using the military tickets for 4 days. The other days are down days. Just wanted to take some time to enjoy everyone! We have been looking over threads about what to cook and such. Total, I think we will we be doing 5 days if we do MNSSHP. I appreciate all the advice, please keep it coming!:donald:

I've tented and rental 'pup' t with lots of Fort-loving kids, and we would (will!) do both, again. (Long;))
We love it much better than rooms at the AllStars, or even the large, homey and lovely Windsor Hills condo we tried out during our split stay last year. I do have fishing/camping/nature-loving kids, and last year was their first visit to the World. We stayed 7 days at the Fort in loop 1500, and the last 7 days at the condo.

While the security and washer/dryer of the condo was welcomed during the last half of an unseasonably wild tropic storm system that settled in for most of our visit, (end of Apr-early May), and it was amazing to finally feel dry, everyone felt something significant was missing. If you take all the experiences that the Fort offers, in with open arms and ample time, the Fort feels like home and Disney in a way no other hotel, even on property, ever will.

We bought 6 day MYW tix, and found, even for teens, that was too much park versus Fort/Downtown Disney/hotel hopping-down time for us. we tend to go full speed, pack-it-all-in-and-then-some, park/ride commando style, so we were in bed around 1:00 and up by 5:00 on park days...and loved it, but at the same time, wished we had less days on our tix! We all wanted to enjoy the Fort more, in between park visits!

So this fall, we have an 8 day Fort trip planned that coincides with DH's conference, and only have 3 park days planned. That way, my kids can feed more hot dogs to the fish and gators, watch more herons from their canoes, play the games at the pool, rent bikes and water mice, see the electrical parade float by with a bucket of Giddy-Up chicken, watch almost every campfire movie, make sand canal waterworks at beach edge, play tether ball and basketball while making lots of new friends, survey all the playgrounds, wave to the carriages, visit the horse stables (tons of times), and talk with the cast members at the pin trading boards.

Yes, all these things may be available in other places at less $ invested, but nowhere else do my kids feel so much 'magic' that they want to help 'make' it, be a part of it, for someone else...over and over again. They have been very successful at it, and feel 'invested' in the Fort like nowhere else. I know tenting during Sept. with younger kids is going to be a whole lot less easy than a different method, but it still will have it's bits of awesome...maybe even all be awesome, and I would do it in a *heartbeat* , sooner rather than later, because there are traditions in the waiting for the making! Just go with the backup plan attitude that there is a way to get through anything, nothing may be just like you expect, and everything can be wonderful.

I do have a serious food tip, though. We were trying to go real frugal on food, making and taking all our own, and discovered, especially with kids, that cooking and fixing the way we would on a regular tenting trip -even using crock pots- was not very compatible with the way we tour the Disney Parks. And it turned out that I just didn't have the energy to follow through with much of my menu plans. Too much from scratch stuff planned. Less is Better.

What worked best was the 'grab healthy packables to load your fanny packs, let's go!' meals of carrots, peanut butter, bagels, string cheese type stuff, and cooking our own hot dogs at the movie campfire. Even economical sandwiches were a bit of a challenge, as bread and tortillas *go moldy super fast* in humid heat, and we could never get enough cooler space, cold enough, long enough, for everything.
We spent too much time buying everything at a not so close, but cheap Aldi's, and ended up throwing a lot of spoiled groceries/produce away and eating more pizza and take out chicken than we planned. We spent too much time in the car at night, scoping out off-site cheap eats as our back up plan, which were not worth the time and money spent, and not memorable for the kids.

I'm beginning to plan meals for this trip... and here are changes I am making. The only meals worth spending on are either those my kids are likely to find memorable, or just plain 'enough to stay happy and moving' sustenance. They are based on canned non perishables, sack lunch food, and a much shorter grocery list, with shorter grocery pick ups more often. It's so easy to read Disney blogs and boards and get caught up in the "Disney food experience" marketing, and think you can replicate that on the cheap, while tenting in Florida summers!
Even RVers can have crock and grill menus go more successfully, for longer than pup and renters. IMO. I say, when you are tenting with kids, unless you plan to pay out of pocket for quick service In-park,and not cringe(and you would do this for the supreme convenience-because it is one! ) plan to separate the 'food' totally from "the Disney experience".

Food spends that are still memorable, good spends for us, on a tight budget- afternoon Dole Whip in Magic Kingdom, sharing 'tastes' of single orders Around the World in Epcot, sharing appetizers at T-Rex cafe (paid for with a swagbucks gift card), and several meals of Giddy-Up-And-Go chicken bought at Fort take out. Foodie me, hates the monotony of pb and j, but we are doing much more of it this trip, because food, in a tent and on a budget at the Fort and Disney, can be the very least important thing! Just be sure to budget enough cash for some quick service meals as a back-up plan to your 'eat in' plans, and plan to make your visit amazing on the most important packable: flexible, full-of-wonder, and wonderful attitudes! ;)
So happy for you! We waited too long for our family's first trip, and cancelled many Fort reservations in times past. :) Do it! :) !

Now, actually, andi, I don't know whether this is your families first trip or not, I was thinking of the family we used to be, the typical young family (which you aren't) who says, " we want to come, we are thinking of tenting so we can make it possible". I remembered, as I wrote, how many times we planned tenting Fort trips and canceled them, and was thinking of what I would do differently food wise, in a tent on a strict budget.

What I think is really best, at the Fort, is eating at the Fort places, and eating in-park when there. Saving campground cooking for in-campsite days, and making the making of "Experiences", rather than the making of food, the focus of the trip. Which I have a feeling, you already will!

Readerbug,

This is not our first trip, just our first stay at the fort. We have been to Disney over seven times. Our daughters first Disney was Disneyland Paris, then WDW, Disneyland, and several more trips to WDW. We only live about 6 hours away and we had an annual pass which expired a year ago. We are also very lucky that we have family in the area so we were able to stay with them.
Last summer I was also very lucky to be able to take my girl scouts!
We carried our lunches everyday in a cooler backpack which worked well for us. If you do not have one, I do recommend it, you can purchase it for under $10 at Walmart.com! If you come across any good recipes, let me know. We will be doing crockpot cooking even though we are tent camping!
I look forward to hearing more about what you have going on!

I was thinking as I finished typing (on my ipad app, which does't show the sig lines, sometimes full of trips) "Gee, you are really talking to yourself here, and really thinking of some family posts you've read here lately!-- this doesn't sound like it will fit the OP!"

But I left it whole and hit send, because I knew sometime, someone else would read/use it, and the real worth of it was, by the. Time I was done I DID know what I should do THIS time!

Sounds like you all are ready to love the Fort...lots of Dis planners say "Fort''s great, but not for....xyz" My experience has been different..because of advice like that, I DID worry a bit about whether my kids would like it, compared to the panache of other on site options, especially my teens. But they really got into the 'make yourself a CM and make some magic for the CM's and everyone else" vibe, and because it's so easy to talk to people at the Fort versus other resorts- relatively- (at least, I've never met my neighbors at other on site hotels, and at the Fort, it happens naturally), well, staying busy "making magic" was easy for my girls. I'm thrilled your teens are choosing the Fort from the get-go, you have been able to experience so many variations together!

Food:

The camp crockpot meals that worked the best for us both last year, and other years when I have tented at the Fort (but without the kids:() have always been the basic sandwiches and summer meals, no surprises there: Sloppy Joes, Italian Pepper Steak, French Dip, BBQ pulled pork, Roast Beef, Spice Rubbed Chicken and shredded seasoned chicken for tacos and taco salads, or for sandwiches. Slow cooking was also good for 'gourmet' (bribe,bribe) versions of oatmeal in the morning, but nobody really likes oatmeal in my family, we just eat it' amuse we ought to, so I can't count that a success!

Big challenge was keeping enough ice in the coolers to keep the meat frozen hard. For the most part much was cut when purchased fresh, marinated or packed in zip locks, freezer-cooking style and frozen in slabs laid in the coolers (and yes, we do have two soft sided, perfectly-park locker-sized-picnic coolers just for taking frozen water bottles and meals into the parks-used them and love them, but my ideal park day wouldn't have them!) but back to the big coolers, our big initial problem was keeping the pre prepped food frozen for the (for us) 2 day drive down, AND through our site stay. We ended up eating meals according to what thawed fastest, not what worked best for the day's plan.

Ahh, I'M going to be one who reads your trip report/plans with interest!

Hope you all don't mind my chiming in.....what did you take for lunches? Just leftovers? I have a tendency to tire of sandwiches, so I'm trying to come up with some clever things to pack for the parks. :)

Love the crock pot oatmeal idea!!! Brilliant!

I know one of the things we like to do for lunch is ham rolls. Take ham, spread cream cheese and roll up a pickle spear....enjoy! they are very good and keep fairly well when cooled. When my girls were younger we would also make our own lunchables, so crackers, meat, cheese, etc! They loved it! I am off to bed for the night but we will all talk again tomorrow!

We just got back from river float trip and camping-we used a combo of dry ice and ice in our coolers and things stayed frozen solid for 2 days. Might help to keep things cooler for longer :)

Heard about using dry ice. I had forgotten. . I'll try it... now to source some close to the Fort. Thank you.
For pack-in lunches, we ate many variations on tortilla, cream cheese or hummus or guacamole/ turkey or ham, spinach/cucumber wraps. A standard go-anywhere car meal...so standard that one DD says I've "killed" flour tortillas for her. she can't stand them. I guess she could use your ham wrap!

Several days on our trip last year, we didn't eat a "traditional" lunch. We had a big breakfast at the camper before leaving and loaded our pockets with things like single-serving packs of trail mix, peanuts, PB crackers (those got a little crumbly), etc.

I would start something for dinner in the crock pot before we left and then we would take a late afternoon/early dinner back back at the Fort - swim, eat, refresh ourselves and then go back out for a few hours if we felt up to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter