So Fun We're Doing it Again! August 13-19 '18 POFQ - Update 6/3

sullivan.kscott

DIS Veteran
Hello, fellow DISers! Let me first introduce the Sullivan family from Montana:

EPCOT_CHRCON1_20171003_405251139192 copy.jpg
Me: Kerry, a 37 year old new-found Disney nut who now loves everything I joked about as a kid. Seeing the joy in my boys' eyes on our first DCL cruise during the Dream's inaugural year sealed the deal for me being a sap for pretty much all things Mouse.
DW: Stephanie, 38, and lover of Minnie, Merida, and annoying our boys with princess movies :laughing:. Would probably rather cruise, but found a fondness for the parks last fall during our first trip to WDW.
DS10: Montgomery. Couldn't be happier that Lucasfilm and Marvel are under the Disney umbrella. Also really loves the new DuckTales series on XD and wishes quite often that the Disney Infinity game series would be resurrected.
DS8: Keegan. Really lives up to his Celtic name (it means fiery)! Loves fiercely, and fights his older brother with a wit that can't be tamed! Secretly loves Frozen but he's too cool to admit it :smooth:. Still our sweet baby boy; he chose a Tsum Tsum MB for this trip.

As mentioned above, we cruised aboard the Dream during her inaugural season and were immediately hooked on Disney travel! DW and I had cruised as a couple prior to having kids, and a couple times after while grandparents watched the boys stateside. Even back then, we were always a little jealous leaving PC and watching the Wonder and Magic in all their beauty! When the boys were old enough (3 and 18mos), we "jumped ship" and haven't looked back!
Fast forward six years and it was time to look in to a WDW vacation. My grandfather passed in late 2015, and we decided to use some of our inheritance to join my brother, nephew, parents, and aunt for a week at CSR last October. It was the trip of a lifetime, despite balancing a group of 9 ranging from 2-61!

What we thought would be a "one and done" has blossomed into a love for the parks! This trip was a surprise for my DW on Mother's Day, and is still a surprise to the boys. They picked out some new character MB thinking they're for an upcoming cruise this fall. We're hoping to keep it from them until we board the plane at 6am 8/13 ...

The Plan
We had such a great time last year in CSR. It was a beautiful resort, and with the construction we scored an awesome deal during the slow early October season. But the resort requires a LOT of walking when you want to be "home" after a long day in the parks. Some of that was a mistake on our part - walking together as an extended family to/from the bus even though our rooms weren't close. Building 8A to El Centro is no short jaunt on tired legs! On night 5 of 7, we decided to use the nearest bus stop and it was MUCH better. Lesson learned.

This year, we are trying out Port Orleans - French Quarter! From the early days of our marriage (16 years ago), DW has occasionally brought up wanting to stay in this resort. So, when I started planning a surprise return to the World, the lodging was a no brainer! With the free kids dining promotion, I was able to score a Garden View room for about $100 less than the originally booked standard room. Really looking forward to the small footprint and single bus stop. Also, we have had some amazing trips to the real Quarter, so we're super excited for the fairy tale version of NO!
This trip is a 6 night stay and we currently have 5 day base tickets. We had hoppers last year but never took advantage of them, so we're saving a few dollars that way. That extra savings is eaten up (literally) in the DDxDP that we loved so much last time! As cruisers primarily, it is nice to know that the food tab is taken care of. We laid out a spreadsheet and likely come out negligibly ahead. We may add a 6th day in order to snag a TSL FP+ on our last day. What are your thoughts?

Day 1: Land at MCO at 2pm. We are still ME newbies, but it took about 2 hours total last year from landing to hotel check-in. Online room alerts didn't work. Debating adding a park evening to this day, but flights start at 6am! Luckily, Billings, MT, security is a breeze. Currently we just plan on walking over to Boatwright's for dinner and then decompressing in the pool.

Day 2: EPCoT! I was surprised last year at how much the boys loved this park. We have a Garden Grill PPO breakfast, Marrakesh lunch, and La Hacienda dinner. Hoping to FP+ FEA just before lunch and use Spaceship Earth and LWTL in the morning. We're breaking after lunch to cool off in the pool. Then we'll try to get Mission: Space and TT later in the day (or single rider). This is an EMH evening, so we have that buffer after Illuminations.

Day 3: MK. This is our easier MK day, focusing on Adventure and Frontier Lands, and Liberty Square. Hoping to FP+ The two mountains on this side of the park and JC. The plan is to RD POTC and HM. Lunch at Tony's because she's a Lady and DS8 loves Olive Garden, so why not?!?! The reviews aren't great but we're big "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" people. Plus, A/C in August doesn't sound so bad. We're heading to the resort for a swim and/or nap, before dinner at 6:45 in 'Ohana! Not sure if the timing will work for viewing HEA, but we have another MK day if it doesn't work out.

Day 4: HS. Oh.My.'Lanta. I am so excited for TSL I can barely contain myself. When I showed DW the breakfast menu at Woody's, she about peed her pants! Glorified Pop Tarts and loaded tater tots? We've had dinners in Remy but we're still children :rotfl2:. Hopefully we can score a morning FP+ for SDD and RD TSM and AS2. Us and thousands of our closest friends will be up at 5am our time with the same thought, so ... DS8 wants to try RnRR so bad, but he's still a little short. Maybe he'll grow that final inch in three months. If not, we'll FP+ Star Tours and ToT. Little man loved it last time! We also have ADRs for Sci Fi and Prime Time. Loved Prime Time last time and Backlot Express didn't impress, so it's on to try something new!

Day 5: AK. Nothing too special here, except the requisite nail biting for a FoP FP+. Without a solid zoo in Montana (Billings has a very small but serviceable zoo), the focus here is on the animal exhibits and just walking around enjoying our day. The boys have a blast with Cub Scouts, so the Wilderness Explorer activity is a natural hit. We're also going to hope for a post-lunch Kali availability and either Safari or EE. We have a PPO Tusker House with RoL seating and dinner at Yak & Yeti. Possibly lunch at Flame Tree depending on how we're feeling that day.

Day 6: MK day 2: Fantasy and Tomorrow Lands! I scored a PPO BOG. The breakfast was satisfying last fall, but the set up for the day was the best icing on the cake EVER. For those on a DP, I can't see a negative to this place. OOP, the pricing is a bit steep. Anyway, we'll hit 7DMT out of the gate and FP+ PP, SM, and Buzz. The rest of the morning/afternoon will be spent tooling around that side of the park, with a quick bite at Pinocchio's to rest and cool off. We have dinner planned at BOG, as well. We fall on the side of the fence that is excited about the new offerings here! If we didn't get to see HEA on Wednesday prior, we'll stick around. Otherwise it will be back to the pool!

Day 7: Tragical Express day. Our flights depart at 3pm. Here is where we have seriously debated adding a park day to maybe score a morning TSL FP and use the morning EMH to do what we couldn't Thursday prior. Or sleep in and dip in the pool before moping our way onto the buses back to MCO. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

You really can't go wrong.... We just added an extra day and I think it only cost an extra $10.00 a person? ( It would probably be worth it) However sleeping in and swimming sounds just as fun.

Happy planning!

You really can't go wrong.... We just added an extra day and I think it only cost an extra $10.00 a person? ( It would probably be worth it) However sleeping in and swimming sounds just as fun.

Happy planning!
:welcome: and :thanks:!
I went ahead and followed your advice. The extra day came to like $42 and PIF date comes after FP day, so we can always cancel it later. The thought is book what fast passes we can and if we get what we want cancel the last park day. If we run into snags at HS, the last day is 60+7 so it should be much easier to snag am ride times.

:welcome: and :thanks:!
I went ahead and followed your advice. The extra day came to like $42 and PIF date comes after FP day, so we can always cancel it later. The thought is book what fast passes we can and if we get what we want cancel the last park day. If we run into snags at HS, the last day is 60+7 so it should be much easier to snag am ride times.
Good Choice ! :yay:

Also an FYI …… I logged in to reserve my FP's at exactly 5:00 am ((Mountain Time))) at the 60 day mark. Within 5 mins the FP's went for Slinky Dog. ((I don't know if that's on your list)) I managed to get one for 6:45 in the evening.

Last year, Stephanie and I were really surprised at how seriously the boys considered the color of their MBs! While planning our cruise this fall, they both have asked if they can choose the colors of their Oceaneer Bands on board. I took that as an opportunity to take parental liberty and tell them they could choose a character band for the cruise from the shop Disney app.

Keegan chose this adorable Tsum Tsum band:
IMG_3048.JPG IMG_3049.JPG
He was having a hard time deciding between this one and the Pixar Emojis. I think he made the right choice.

Remember how I introduced Montgomery as being our Lucasfilm encyclopedia? Here was his choice:
Boba Fett Front.JPG Boba Fett Back.JPG
This one was tough. He remembered seeing it in the parks last year and we probably should have picked it up then. It had been discontinued! Luckily, through the magic of eBay, I was able to locate one. Hopefully I will be his hero on August 13 when he gets it, as he was truly disappointed and doesn't know that it was ordered.

Stephanie LOVES Merida and all for which she stands. While perusing eBay for Boba Fett, I found this beauty and ordered it. She was beyond thrilled to open the mail that day!
Merida Band Front.JPG Merida Band Back.JPG
It doesn't hurt that she's a fellow redheaded Scot :)

I'll update you all after June 15. We are headed to Yellowstone in a couple weeks in a rented RV! We're really looking forward to the trip. And, hopefully, the camp's WiFi is as advertised, since we have FP day while in the wilderness! Wish us luck for that SDD FP on 60+4 and FoP at 60+5!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter