So how does everyone else remain calm in the operating room?

I am probably having surgery soon.
It wouldn't be the first time (last surgery was 6 years ago though) and I know "the drill" but I still get anxious and I know its normal but that foreboding feeling drives me nuts.

The day of I'm hungry and dehydrated, then I get really cold and shaky.
I have found that if I wear fuzzy socks very my regular socks that does help with the cold and shaky part.
I start getting nervous about getting the IV not because I'm squeamish but because its always hard for them to get a vein so either they are smacking my hand for 10 minutes or they poke me 5 times.

I can actually manage to suppress the anxiety pretty well during all that BUT then comes the O.R.
It feels like "there's no turning back now muahahaha" and suddenly fight or flight kicks in because I don't like the lack of control I have from that point forward.
My reaction is more mental than physical. I want to cry and I feel sick to my stomach.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Have you found any techniques that help calm you so you can kinda just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I'd love to find a way to be chill about it instead of feeling and probably looking like everyone is trying to kill me lol.

I could have written your post!! I do the same after having had several different surgeries during my life. Also, react the same even for a colonoscopy! I shake like a leaf and even though they pile on blankets while they prep me, I can't stop. I get upset with myself, but just can't help it.
Sorry I can't offer any help!

Once the IV line was in, they did give me something that calmed me and basically put me out.

Ativan or Versed for the anxiety pre-op and if you're likely to throw up from the anesthesia, ask for a scopolamine patch to be placed before you wake up. It might make your vision a bit wonky but it can really help with nausea. Opioids make me really nauseous but my recovery from my last surgery was much better because I had the patch in place.

For my next surgery April 17, I’m going to ask for Versed when it’s time for me to go to the OR.

Unfortunately its at 11am so I'll be starving and dehydrated since I believe the cut off for having something to eat early in the morning is if your surgery is 1pm or later.
If they say like 8hrs instead of midnight then I will be sure to get up and drink some water prior to that mark.
If its still midnight I plan to have my usual almost midnight snack and I'm drinking a bottle of water prior to midnight so at least I'll get a good shot of hydration in my veins lol.
I think I'll try to lay in bed and just relax and breath between now and then.
I was also thinking that on the way maybe I'll watch some Disney videos on youtube.
And I'm definitely telling them as soon as I get there that I get cold easily. When I am cold I automatically get tense so if I stay warm my body will be a bit mroe relaxed.
Ask if they offer Reiki

When I had my gallbladder removed, I recall that the nurse gave me a shot in the prep area. I started feeling loopy and a little sleepy as they were wheeling me into the operating room. All I remember is that once I got inside, I saw the surgeon standing across the room, two other random people standing around, and a nurse pulling supplies off a shelf along the wall. Someone pulled my arm straight out to the side and strapped it down to a board, I assume so they could start my IV. I remember saying, "Hey! Are you tying me up? I'm telling my dad! He was a cop!" I remember hearing uproarious laughter from everyone in the room and suddenly I woke up in the recovery room. It was pretty easy and even kind of funny. I sat with my sister before she had a major surgery, and she also was given a shot to relax her before leaving the prep area. Maybe that's the key to keeping calm as the trip into the operating room gets closer.

OP here with an update.
As I started filling out the pre-op papers I came across a couple of things.
One... I was told a pregnancy test is mandatory. OK but there was only a script for a CBC so I had to call and get the pregnancy test script mailed to me.
Two... Probably a good thing for me really. In filling out the papers to send to the surgery center it says if you are allergic to latex you need to call them. I am so I just did and they said I'd be the first case of the day. I mentioned I was already scheduled to be there at 11am and she was shocked that my Dr's office knowing full well I have a severe latex allergy would have done that so now I'm going to get a call to tell me an earlier time when they figure out how to move around the other patients.
This makes me happy for a couple reasons (unless they change the day completely. that would be annoying) one, I wouldn't be nearly as hungry and dehydrated if I have it at say 8am and two, I'm having it done on my niece's 10th birthday and she is having an Olive Garden themed dinner party which I may feel much more like attending if I have the surgery in the morning.
They also still aren't sure if I need an EKG so that's another thing I have to keep in contact about. I used to have high blood pressure controlled with a medication but since losing a lot of weight my BP tends to be too low so I stopped taking my BP medication with the permission of my GP but I have not been back since then so I'm guessing on papers I'm still diagnosed as having High BP so the surgeon has to decide if he wants an EKG or not.
I'll update when I get answers about these things.

I've had three surgeries in my life and each of them have been a bit different in regards to nerves/anxiety.

My very first surgery was when I was in high school. My wisdom teeth were so bad that I had to get them removed in the hospital OR instead of the Dr's office. I honestly don't remember anything about before the surgery in regards to nerves. Apparently, I was quite a pain though when I woke up from surgery. My aunt, who was a nurse at the hospital stopped by the recovery room to check on me and she gave me the what for- because I was being so obnoxious and giving the nurse such a bad time (I seriously don't remember what I was saying or doing).

My next surgery was when I was 30. I remember being more scared of getting the IV put in that anything else (seriously don't like needles and had heard a lot of horror stories about having trouble getting them started, etc) . I was nervous about the surgery too, but I think I just let myself focus on the IV issue so I wouldn't think of the actual surgery. Well, I said something to the doctor about being nervous and they gave me numbing medicine/patches to put on my hands the morning of surgery so I wouldn't feel the IV going in. That was great. I don't remember being very nervous until they wheeled me into the OR. I remember looking around and saying that it "looked intimidating". The anesthesiologist (I'm assuming that's who it was, they were up near my head) told me to just shut my eyes and not think about it. I remember him putting the mask over my mouth and nose and the next thing I knew...I was awake a few hours later in the recover room. Again...I woke up in a really bad mood. I was thirsty, throat was dry and I kept asking for water and they wouldn't give it to me. So, I probably wasn't the nicest again.

My third was a c-section. Great outcome but probably the worst surgery as far as nerves/anxiety. I was actually doing really well until the numbness kicked in and I couldn't move my legs. I knew they were numb (and obviously, I knew why they were numb) but my brain kept trying to move them and they just wouldn't move. I was on the verge of a full meltdown panic attack, I couldn't breathe. It was terrifying. I told the anesthesiologist that he was going to have to do something because I was panicking. He asked what was wrong and I told him. He ended up taking me right out of it! Didn't have to give me any drugs or anything. It was amazing. I'm so thankful for him.

My best advice really is to let those around you know about your nerves/anxiety. There is often something that they can do for you- if you are cold, they can give you warm blankets. If you are worried about the IV, they can numb your hand. They will do what they can to help ease your nerves.

Good luck to you.

200w.gif

Good luck, OP, and I hope everything goes well for you.

This past Monday, April 2nd, I had a hysterectomy. I was a nervous wreck all weekend so when I got to the hospital early Monday morning I was ready to ask for something to calm me. I ended up not needing anything because the pre-op nurse I had was great. She chattered nonstop with me and I learned we both are from the same state. I'm not a talker by nature, but having her helped me so much.

They also had me under a foil blanket pumped with heat pretty quickly. The heat and warmth of the blanket helped calm me, too. By the time they wheeled me into the operating room I was pretty relaxed. I barely remember the OR. I remember moving to the table and a nurse spreading my arms, but that was it. Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. In hindsight, I realized I had myself all worked up for nothing.

I'll admit I haven't read the last 5 pages, but as a surgeon myself, request some IV meds before they even roll you in. Two mg of Versed, and you won't even remember going in.

Because I'm a surgeon, I like to be in control when in the OR. I really DON'T like being on the bed instead. LOL Versed does the trick.

i just worry about waking up.....it's more the anesthesia that kills you than the surgery itself...
my next big surgery will be in about 3 months (once i complete all my chemo)...
it's pretty major....lopping off the girls completely and making sure to get all the nodes etc....no reconstruction....not interested in yet more surgery so going flat as it's called these days....(the breast surgeon had better listen to my wishes and not leave even a hint of extra skin)...

it's difficult surgery ....they'll knock me out....hopefully, i'll wake up....if i wake up, it's all good..(though the recovery is tough from what i understand)...

i forgot to say, i'm allergic to morphine so i get nervous about the anesthesiologist screwing up what he/she gives me.....

Last edited:
I am probably having surgery soon.
It wouldn't be the first time (last surgery was 6 years ago though) and I know "the drill" but I still get anxious and I know its normal but that foreboding feeling drives me nuts.

The day of I'm hungry and dehydrated, then I get really cold and shaky.
I have found that if I wear fuzzy socks very my regular socks that does help with the cold and shaky part.
I start getting nervous about getting the IV not because I'm squeamish but because its always hard for them to get a vein so either they are smacking my hand for 10 minutes or they poke me 5 times.

I can actually manage to suppress the anxiety pretty well during all that BUT then comes the O.R.
It feels like "there's no turning back now muahahaha" and suddenly fight or flight kicks in because I don't like the lack of control I have from that point forward.
My reaction is more mental than physical. I want to cry and I feel sick to my stomach.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Have you found any techniques that help calm you so you can kinda just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I'd love to find a way to be chill about it instead of feeling and probably looking like everyone is trying to kill me lol.

I have had surger only once..I minor thing, had a growth on my elbow but was given this wierd electrical numbing thing and was knocked out.. I am sooo squeemish and scared.. I am honest and told all nurses etc... that I am scared and freaking out. what helps me and Also helps, that I am almost Blind without my contacts... -10.00 so of course being wheeled about I had no idea where I was going and didnt really see my surrounding clearly... that kiind of helped me stay in my own bubble.

i just worry about waking up.....it's more the anesthesia that kills you than the surgery itself...
it's pretty major....lopping off the girls completely and making sure to get all the nodes etc....no reconstruction....not interested in yet more surgery so going flat as it's called these days....(the breast surgeon had better listen to my wishes and not leave even a hint of extra skin)...

it's difficult surgery ....they'll knock me out....hopefully, i'll wake up....if i wake up, it's all good..(though the recovery is tough from what i understand)...

i forgot to say, i'm allergic to morphine so i get nervous about the anesthesiologist screwing up what he/she gives me.....

Wishing you all the best with your chemo and surgery!

Over 30 surgeries starting when I was 23, not counting child birth. Versed is ineffective as is twilight sleep, I have warnings on all my medical records. Strangely I don't get too nervous before surgery, I focus on what they are fixing and look forward to feeling better after its over. I had never really thought about it until this thread. Guess it's a good thing I don't get nervous. Next surgery is in May and I have another one that the surgeon hopes we can do by late summer.

I usually make jokes to pass the time , really. When they take me to the op room the first thing I say is I hope everyone had a great cup of coffee.
The rooms are ice cold so I ask for a hot blanket , "well done" if you don't mind. The last thing I say is if I don't wake up don't feel bad for me because I won't get mad. 30 seconds later I'm out like a light. Morbid? maybe but it gets me thru it fine.

Wishing you the best with your surgery.

I am a pro at surgery, I've had so many.

And like you, I feel fine before, but as it get closer, I start losing my mind. The last 4 (yes 4) times I was put under, I spoke up. I totally let them know know that I was getting more and more upset/worried/scared. And they gave me a little something to ease the way.

The first time, the anesthesiologist noticed that I was pulling at my fingers and rubbing my hands really hard. I told that the last time I had been at a hospital, my father died was the patient and he died. And that I've always been nervous about surgery, but now, well, I was over the top. She smiled and said that I was talking to the right person. The IV went in my hand, and I immediately received something to help calm me. I don't know what she gave me, but I felt better before she was out of the door.

So I say, speak up.

And good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter