So....I need to fire my Travel Agent/Old Thread...New Update

Wow! This is awful! I am glad that you are spreading the word. Yes, amazing that he is still in business. Especially after all the fraud that was caused.

This is how I was reading the email you got from this guy. :eek: Litterally. That has to be the worse "customer service" letter I have ever read. HORRIBLE!!

WOW!!!

I remember reading this thread as i was waiting for own cruise to go on. I gave daily updates to my DH about the whole story too. I wish PTN the best of luck putting him out of business. And I imagine you'll be the recipient of a few more emails like the ones above. Please let us know how the court case ends, although i imagine that that will be years down the road.

Wow! What a horror story:)

When I started reading this I didn't realize it was old...... That is crazy!

Holy Cow Tom. I followed along way back when and I just can't believe this guy. I hope they get him good.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that Tom...and I'm glad that this agency and the owner are under investigation, FINALLY!

I learned the hard way that I had to be as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable than any TA that I may use.

Close to ten years ago my dh and I were married in Ocho Rios while on a Celebrity cruise. We had 20 family and friends traveling in our group and I used the TA Celebrity recommended for the wedding and cruise arrangements.

THAT was a mistake on my part.

The TA was used to get away weddings w/ the bride and groom and really didn't know what she was doing w/ 20 people. Apparently questions about what kind of flowers came in the standard bouquet weren't the norm. She was unable to provide photos of bouquets or even call the florist she worked with in Jamaica to find out! :mad:

The part that was the worst though was the cruise portion. I armed myself with information I picked up on cruise boards. We booked 1.5yrs out and I watched our cruise price drop. The TA never contacted us about the lower price (still about 9mo out at this point) and I had to talk her into "letting" us have the lower price which ticked me off but I got over it.

After this issue was resolved I discovered that Celebrity (as most cruise lines, at least at the time) offered one "free" berth for every 8 passengers in a group. Again, the TA never told me about this and when I called to inquire about it she told me it didn't apply to us. When I pressed her she said she would "look into it." It took me calling Celebrity and getting on a three way conference call w/ her to get her to agree to give us the free berths. I later found out that she had two other weddings (just the couples) that she added to OUR group to make THREE groups of 8 and she was planning to use the free berths for her family to cruise w/ her on the cruise we were on. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The TA was bordering on rude when I insisted on the free berths but was all happy sunshine and rainbows on the conference call and wanted to know why I didn't just contact her about how important it was to me! GRRRR

It all worked out in the end. Dh and I were married, our families and friends had wonderful experiences on the cruise...and I learned a ton about cruising which I shared w/ our guests (not the TA) which made their experiences even better!

Dh and I are taking our two kids on the Dream next summer to celebrate our 10th anniversary (even though it will be only a few weeks short of our 11th anniversary! :rotfl2:).

I know this is an OLD thread, but many of you were interested in how this turned out, so I thought I'd do a quick follow up, since there have been some interesting things happening.

Tom

I remember this thread from way back when too.

I have to say I'm a bit surprized at how much mud both sides are slinging in public e-mails though. Could come back to haunt them both in court.

Thanks for keeping us updated. :thumbsup2

Wow, I was going to go to bed a while ago but stayed up to read this thread. Amazing...and I hope that so called travel agent gets his just rewards...in jail.

We used my friend, a travel agent, to book our first Disney Cruise. Mostly because we wanted to pay for part of the cruise a certain way (using Air Miles.. long story) Everything went well but this time around, I just booked it directly with DCL. Not because we were displeased with my friend but I didn't like not having total control of the reservation. I like being able to talk to DCL about stuff and not have to go through somebody else.

I may use my friend again...depends on if I can use points to pay again. LOL I think if I'm going to take a cruise by myself (which is a distinct possibility in the future), I'll use her because it might help defray the costs a bit. :rotfl2:

Tom, I salute you for not letting them walk all over you....but heck, ya kept me up with all the suspense. :rotfl:

I am shocked and appalled by this whole thing...I own a host agency with over 50 agents that work from home. When any of their clients (or mine) pay with checks, they come to the agency, they clear, then I pay the supplier (usually by ACH or company card so it is immediate). It makes no difference when a reservation is actually due in respect to how it gets paid. It would be unethical for me to hold onto money simply because I can.

To not know that the reservation had to be paid in full before excursions could be booked is appalling. There are MANY MANY agents that should not be booking Disney...College of Knowledge does not make one an expert, just passable. I can't tell you how many times someone has paid me to plan their trips...and they already have another TA! Yes, a TA is sitting back collecting money from Disney, while I plan their dining and itineraries. Kind of makes you go, hmmm. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "my TA doesn't know what to do, help!" I require ALL of my agents to be trained thoroughly and supervised with their first several Disney bookings...I went as far and made training web pages specifically for WDW and DCL. No one will book Disney through my agency and not know what they are doing. Vacations are precious...people work and save and dream for so long to make them possible, and my #1 priority is to make sure their dreams are met.

As far as shore excursions, that is another thing that is laughable...it should be a courtesy for any travel agent to assist their clients in making them, whether commission is involved or not. Same thing with flights. We get paid for some things, we don't for others. What matters is that our clients don't have to deal with any of that! Why should they be concerned if we get paid for the little extras? The goal of any TA should be to make a client's vacation as stress free and magical as possible, PERIOD.

While I appreciate those saying they don't use TAs because they like to book themselves (I myself never used a TA before I became one, I liked CONTROL:)) there are many people that TAs assist greatly. Just yesterday I got a "This is the easiest vacation I have ever booked!". That kind of statement makes my job worthwile. Some people should not work with TAs...I was one of them, ironically. Those that love to plan every detail, well, a TA isn't for you probably, and that is okay! For those of you that do use TAs though, I suggest asking for references...past clients perhaps that you can actually contact. Any legitimate TA will be happy to provide that.

To the OP, I hope your cruise was absolutely magical, and that this shady TA gets what he deserves.

...I have to say I'm a bit surprized at how much mud both sides are slinging in public e-mails though. Could come back to haunt them both in court.

OMGosh I know! Talk about airing dirty laundry!!!!!!

They both sounded unprofessional by doing that, but I do have sympathy for the company trying to distance themselves from that weird guy & his weird ways. lol

Hope this doesn't bring up too many bad feelings from the past for you. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter