So I test positive for Covid19 at the port, now what?

insureman

DIS Veteran
Going on the Fantasy in February and this is the question I had for DCL chat. You can read the transcript below. Does anyone know someone this happened to and what was their experience.

Based on prior reports, if anyone in your party tests positive at the embarkation testing your party will be denied boarding. DCL will refund your cruise fare. If needed, I believe DCL will provide transportation back to Orlando. I suggest you have travel insurance to cover any costs associated with your change in plans.

My question is - you test positive at the port, DCL takes you back to the airport, can you still fly?
That would depend on your airline's rules, though at this point I don't believe any airlines are allowing known positives to fly. I suppose you could re-test with a rapid-PCR at the airport.

Possibly DCL will take you somewhere other than MCO on request (such as a hotel) where you could quarantine. Hotels do allow positives. I don't know if any car rental agencies are allowing positives in the vehicle. Anyone who travels for a cruise at this time needs to have a back-up plan.

You would rent a car and drive home. Disney would refund your cruise fare. I guess you could fly home - the airlines don’t make you take a covid test. I am sure there are lots of covid positive people flying everyday. I personally wouldn’t do that, but I am sure lots of others would.

We drive, so if we tested positive, we would just drive home. I wouldn’t recommend going to the theme parks before your cruise. That seems very risky. You could easily pick up covid in the packed theme parks and then be denied boarding for your cruise.

You would rent a car and drive home. Disney would refund your cruise fare. I guess you could fly home - the airlines don’t make you take a covid test. I am sure there are lots of covid positive people flying everyday. I personally wouldn’t do that, but I am sure lots of others would.

We drive, so if we tested positive, we would just drive home. I wouldn’t recommend going to the theme parks before your cruise. That seems very risky. You could easily pick up covid in the packed theme parks and then be denied boarding for your cruise.
I might reserve a rental car to drive home just in case although I really don't want to drive back to New England from Florida. We usually go to WDW before our cruise but I will probably swap that and go after the cruise.

Based on prior reports, if anyone in your party tests positive at the embarkation testing your party will be denied boarding. DCL will refund your cruise fare. If needed, I believe DCL will provide transportation back to Orlando. I suggest you have travel insurance to cover any costs associated with your change in plans.
That's basically whet they said in the chat but I already have bought trip insurance for this cruise .

Don’t know what state you are flying into BUT when you test positive- you are reported to that state’s dept. of health. You are put in a registry of Covid positives. You can then be checked against a manifest. Just FYI. If you test positive before getting on a cruise ship you will be responsible for all costs related to not being on that cruise such as hotel and transportation to get back home.

We just went through this - flew cross country for a cruise. We had a back up plan in place with 3 different resorts identified that we could quarantine at if needed. The resorts had cottages where we could keep away from others and still enjoy the beach a little bit. We would have ordered food and groceries in. I had a Costco car rental booked at Port Canaveral just in case.

Don’t know what state you are flying into BUT when you test positive- you are reported to that state’s dept. of health. You are put in a registry of Covid positives. You can then be checked against a manifest. Just FYI. If you test positive before getting on a cruise ship you will be responsible for all costs related to not being on that cruise such as hotel and transportation to get back home.
Not sure about that registry thing you're talking about because there is no national Covid data base with positive people on it as far as I know and my trip insurance will pay for any out of pocket relating to the cancelation.

We picked up a six pack of the BinaxNOW proctored covid tests from eMed a few weeks before our trip. It's not the PCR tests currently approved by DCL but should show if were are positive. We did the tests the day before we were to leave for our trip. If we had tested positive, it would have been a lot easier on us to cancel everything from home, rather than from the parking garage at Port Canaveral. We tested negative, but were still a bit anxious getting the test at the port. That said, the people performing the testing at Port Canaveral were great! It's organized better than a Chick-fil-A drive through.

Order the tests now so you can self test before getting on a plane. You want the proctored tests. $25 a test is insignificant compared to the cost of travel and a cruise. Several YouTubers have posted videos of them taking the test. ...And I would make sure my travel insurance covers Covid related issues, not all do.

Please don't get on an airplane if you test positive. You're endangering everyone else on the flight. That should be enough to stop you.

But besides that, your positive test results will almost certainly be reported to the Florida state government. If the airline finds out that you boarded after testing positive (and then lying to them about it!), then you'll likely be banned from using that airline and you might also be fined by the government. So, you're putting yourself and your family at some risk, too.

Instead, take advantage of DCL's offer to drive you somewhere and then quarantine instead of cruising. Or, drive home, if you can. Maybe it's not as fun, but you'll get to cruise again later and at least you won't be endangering anyone else.

Please don't get on an airplane if you test positive. You're endangering everyone else on the flight. That should be enough to stop you.

But besides that, your positive test results will almost certainly be reported to the Florida state government. If the airline finds out that you boarded after testing positive (and then lying to them about it!), then you'll likely be banned from using that airline and you might also be fined by the government. So, you're putting yourself and your family at some risk, too.

Instead, take advantage of DCL's offer to drive you somewhere and then quarantine instead of cruising. Or, drive home, if you can. Maybe it's not as fun, but you'll get to cruise again later and at least you won't be endangering anyone else.

See, to me driving home is riskier to others than quarantining in place in Florida. I mean you have to stop multiple times for food, gas, and probably at least one hotel? For us it made more sense to have a back up plan to quarantine in Florida. Plus we would have been able to still feel a little bit like we were on vacation.

...any tips if you live in New York?

See, to me driving home is riskier to others than quarantining in place in Florida. I mean you have to stop multiple times for food, gas, and probably at least one hotel? For us it made more sense to have a back up plan to quarantine in Florida. Plus we would have been able to still feel a little bit like we were on vacation.

Well, sure, quarantining in Florida is even better. But almost anything is better than getting on an airplane.

For what it's worth, though, if you're willing to pump your own gas and get take out or delivery food, the risk of infecting anyone else on the drive home is pretty low. The hotel is the riskiest part, but that's true when you quarantine in Florida, too.

...any tips if you live in New York?
We did the drive to NJ, again, last week at the end of our cruise and WDW trip. Very enjoyable. If you are positive there are plenty of places to gas up and get something to eat. We were not positive so we stayed in Smithfield, NC. Remember to gas up before you get to NJ as the gas here is not self serve and you do not want to expose any one. Get plenty of masks before you leave home. Or, go up the PA side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter