So much for the idea of arming teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't want to get into a big discussion about school funding since that would really need to be a separate thread. But yes, I believe security is more important than all of those things. They somehow manage to pass bond issues here for new stuff all the time. And none of the rest of what they do in school every day matters if kids aren't safe. We secure court houses, politicians, movie stars, banks...... why not our schools?
And conversely they almost never are able to pass funding proposals here. Our public schools are in bad shape in the entire state & anyone who can afford to uses private school. To put it in perspective, in all the ppl I’ve ever known going back to my grandparents age, I have know 2 ppl to attend public schools here. And 1 of those now sends his kids to private school b/c the school he went to is worse than when he attended. So there is little motovation in this area for the voters to fund schools.

But the shooter didn’t know that he wouldn’t enter. The deterrent should be that there was one there & the shooter knew this. Most of these shooters are sucidial in some form b/c they know the risks, and I would argue all are narcissistic. So with that combo there will be no real deterrent. Prevention is the only way, IMO.
That's a fair point. But one officer for a 40 some acre campus with 3500 students isn't nearly enough.

And officers are there as a deterrent. But they are also there to respond when something happened. We'll never know if as many kids would have died if someone had gone in sooner.

This argues even more strongly why teachers should not be called on to carry. If there isn't enough money for more and/or better trained officers, then where the heck are they going to find enough money to screen teachers and provide enough ongoing training for them to defend others while under fire?? Giving them a safety briefing and an hour at a range obviously wouldn't be nearly enough. Even prior teachers who are former military or law enforcement would need ongoing training, and they're the first to admit it.

On another note, the psychological implications of asking a teacher to shoot someone who they may have, say, taught last period are huge. LEOs and the military generally expect to go up against an adversary. And while anyone shooting at you is an adversary, if that's a kid you know well, pulling that trigger might not be as easy as you think.

Not that you don’t make a valid point, but our SRO’s also generally know all the kids on campus, and probably taught all of them through the DARE program in elementary.

Not that you don’t make a valid point, but our SRO’s also generally know all the kids on campus, and probably taught all of them through the DARE program in elementary.
We had an SRO in HS. Never saw him leave his office once. I couldn't even tell you what he looks like other than the fact that he was bald.

The thing with putting officers in schools is a lot of areas are already woefully stretched to the limit. Also, they probably aren't sending their best officer to mostly just walk around the school 99.9% of the time.

Nothing is going to be 100% effective, nothing.
Aren't we supposed to be "doing something" even if it stops just one? Isn't that the argument used when the topic of gun control comes up?
Maybe if we did a combination of things, like putting more armed officers in schools, and some stricter gun controls we could stop more than just one.

Agreed, ours do, too. And I truly believe that our SRO would do whatever is necessary, even if he knew the shooter well. But I strongly believe that the mindset is very, very different between an LEO and a teacher, as it should be.

The majoirty of the shooters were suicidal, the latest went to subway after the shooting, not like he was trying to hide. Why would there be a deterrent when they want to get shot.

The majoirty of the shooters were suicidal, the latest went to subway after the shooting, not like he was trying to hide. Why would there be a deterrent when they want to get shot.

The “selfish” answer is so he picks some other target where he might find more success. If the goal were merely suicide, they’d never leave Home.

Edit: that’s why they choose soft targets like schools instead of the police station.

I really don't want to get into a big discussion about school funding since that would really need to be a separate thread. But yes, I believe security is more important than all of those things. They somehow manage to pass bond issues here for new stuff all the time. And none of the rest of what they do in school every day matters if kids aren't safe. We secure court houses, politicians, movie stars, banks...... why not our schools?
I agree schools should be secure, and that's an important issue. I'm just not sure it's more important than having enough teachers, or buildings in good shape, or enough books. I can see the argument on both sides.

Nothing is going to be 100% effective, nothing.
Aren't we supposed to be "doing something" even if it stops just one? Isn't that the argument used when the topic of gun control comes up?
Maybe if we did a combination of things, like putting more armed officers in schools, and some stricter gun controls we could stop more than just one.
I agree with you. I'm just saying something that I didn't see addressed. Pennsylvania is a little squirrely, we have township police, county/city, & state. Even still, I don't think we have the resources to provide off duty officers to the schools or even have officers stationed there.

Count me in with those who will leave teaching if any of my colleagues are allowed to carry a gun in school. I can't believe this idea is even being discussed, much less considered.

I think that would be good. There are so many who need jobs and your opening would make someone very happy. Your job is not mandatory.

We have these discussions after every incident and nothing changes. After 10, 20x, shouldn't we accept our fate?

No. How many times was segregation challenged before it changed? Heck, the SCOTUS even upheld it at one point. Sometimes it takes a while to reach the critical mass needed to get changes made.

I'm curious, do you envision guns just laying around everywhere for anyone to grab?
I don't support arming teachers, but I do support more guns in schools (Police or even trained armed security).
The solution is that if there are people who armed, it may deter a shooter from trying, or if a shooter does come into the school, an armed individual may shoot them before they have a chance to shoot others.
The truth is, we have NO idea whether this would work or not. Our feelings don't matter, data does.

I don't imagine guns "laying around everywhere" but I do think it is very difficult to be 100% vigilant at all times, especially when interacting with large numbers of kids, and that more guns in school is more likely to cause a tragedy than to prevent one. And while we don't know how that would play out in schools specifically, there's plenty of data on the prevalence of accidental shootings in general that would bear out that concern. The problem is, everyone looks at that data and says "But it wouldn't happen to me/to a truly responsible person." rather than acknowledging that inattention in routine settings is a universal human weakness.

I also don't think the possibility of death is a deterrent for the suicidal, which most mass shooters are, and I have concerns about the unintended consequences of armed guards/teachers/whoever in schools if something did happen, because it would then become very difficult for police to make the split-second distinction between "bad guy with a gun" and "good guy with a gun".

And the funding part of the equation keeps getting brushed aside, but in many areas that's a real problem. Our schools haven't managed a successful bond issue in decades. The next district over tried a millage increase specifically for security and it has been voted down twice. People care oh-so-deeply about this... right up until the point when they realize their taxes will have to go up to pay for it. Then it is "cut administrator salaries!", "why does the school need high-speed internet!", "stop wasting money on band trips/sports uniforms/(insert other 'extra' parents/students fundraised for)", and on and on about how wasteful the already-underfunded schools are.

And the same goes for police. My community has a single patrol car on duty most of the day, with a second car only during the peak after school/evening period. The station itself keeps business hours with an after-hours dispatch contract through the county. Voters rejected a property tax initiative that would have put a second car on duty around the clock. But somehow they're going to support increasing the size of our (10-man) police force to have officers present in all six schools in the jurisdiction at all times?

It always boggles my mind that people don't see the difference between being trained in using a firearm and being trained in using a firearm in a crisis situation.

It boggles my mind that people think that crisis training is this foolproof thing, considering how many cases have made headlines in recent years of unarmed people or children with toy guns being mistaken for a threat and shot by trained officers. We've had kids at our local schools suspended for bringing airsoft guns onto school property, often accidentally and never to use them in a threatening fashion, because they're a popular 'toy' among middle and high school aged boys. I can just imagine that scenario ending with a kid dead because he forgot to take his gun out of his backpack after going to a friend's house the night before, and an armed guard or officer mistook it for the real thing.

I think that's probably true in smaller towns, although DARE is a thing of the past around here. I seriously doubt an SRO could know all 3500 students at a school as big as Stoneman-Douglas.

It's also easier to grab away from a shooter than a handgun because it's harder to make dramatic changes in your aim. It's really just a matter of vicinity. The further the victims are from the shooter, the more a handgun loses effectiveness. The closer you are, the less it matters.

If you watch enough action movies, you'd think that handguns are accurate to 100 ft in a pressure situation.

If you watch enough action movies, you'd think that handguns are accurate to 100 ft in a pressure situation.

I’m well aware of that false notion, as well as the false notion that a hit from a .223 has some mythical powers. I’m also aware that most of these kids shot in school shootings are much, much closer to the shooter than 100 feet.

It boggles my mind that people think that crisis training is this foolproof thing, considering how many cases have made headlines in recent years of unarmed people or children with toy guns being mistaken for a threat and shot by trained officers. We've had kids at our local schools suspended for bringing airsoft guns onto school property, often accidentally and never to use them in a threatening fashion, because they're a popular 'toy' among middle and high school aged boys. I can just imagine that scenario ending with a kid dead because he forgot to take his gun out of his backpack after going to a friend's house the night before, and an armed guard or officer mistook it for the real thing.

Never said it was foolproof but I will take a trained person over someone with a permit than never gets to practice in the situation any day of the week!

I don't imagine guns "laying around everywhere" but I do think it is very difficult to be 100% vigilant at all times, especially when interacting with large numbers of kids, and that more guns in school is more likely to cause a tragedy than to prevent one. And while we don't know how that would play out in schools specifically, there's plenty of data on the prevalence of accidental shootings in general that would bear out that concern. The problem is, everyone looks at that data and says "But it wouldn't happen to me/to a truly responsible person." rather than acknowledging that inattention in routine settings is a universal human weakness.

I think all data should be looked at, and that includes accidental shooting data. However, I don't think because there are accidental shootings that means we can't ever have an armed presence in our schools.
We already do to some degree, Police officers are already in schools, and apparently there are schools where teachers are armed.

I also don't think the possibility of death is a deterrent for the suicidal, which most mass shooters are, and I have concerns about the unintended consequences of armed guards/teachers/whoever in schools if something did happen, because it would then become very difficult for police to make the split-second distinction between "bad guy with a gun" and "good guy with a gun".

I was thinking the deterrent is more that the plan in place by the shooter may not be able to happen.
And not all mass murders kill themselves so yes, it may deter some or that reason too.

And the funding part of the equation keeps getting brushed aside, but in many areas that's a real problem. Our schools haven't managed a successful bond issue in decades. The next district over tried a millage increase specifically for security and it has been voted down twice. People care oh-so-deeply about this... right up until the point when they realize their taxes will have to go up to pay for it. Then it is "cut administrator salaries!", "why does the school need high-speed internet!", "stop wasting money on band trips/sports uniforms/(insert other 'extra' parents/students fundraised for)", and on and on about how wasteful the already-underfunded schools are.

I agree funding is an issue, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a proposed budget including it. We manage to do that every year of everything, this is one more expense to find money for.

And the same goes for police. My community has a single patrol car on duty most of the day, with a second car only during the peak after school/evening period. The station itself keeps business hours with an after-hours dispatch contract through the county. Voters rejected a property tax initiative that would have put a second car on duty around the clock. But somehow they're going to support increasing the size of our (10-man) police force to have officers present in all six schools in the jurisdiction at all times?

If we citizens want something to be done, then we need to do something ourselves.
I know the easy answer for some is to take away a Constitutional Right, but that isn't going to happen. Maybe we should focus on things that can be done, like things in our local governement.

I agree, but I still don't think that means we should never consider armed police officers in schools.
We allow them to protect us with their guns everywhere else.

My responses are in bold
Upon further thought I guess I don't get the logic that it is OK to call armed police officers when this occurs, but it isn't ok to have them already there to prevent it from occurring.

Last edited:
only way to solve this problem... send the teachings online... students check in via computers...

The “selfish” answer is so he picks some other target where he might find more success. If the goal were merely suicide, they’d never leave Home.

Edit: that’s why they choose soft targets like schools instead of the police station.
Suicidal & narcissistic. That’s an important distinction.

I think that would be good. There are so many who need jobs and your opening would make someone very happy. Your job is not mandatory.
Depends on the area. Here there is a shortage so it is not that simple. You would also need to find teachers willing to be armed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter