So much new availability

I know in Canada a lot of people have been forced to cancel their trips because the U.S. still has not opened the land border. We opened our border to U.S. travelers on Aug.9th and everyone was sure the U.S. would reciprocate. When that didn't happen, and not a word from the U.S. as to when it will open, a lot of people had to cancel.

The identical is true for the UK and parts of Europe. They opened to the U.S., but the U.S. did not reciprocate.

I think cancellations are a big part of it. Like you, we watch availability (DVC) closely and there was a big change a week or two back. It went from close to nothing available to coveted rooms / resorts being available.
Weird, what changed at WDW a couple weeks ago?

I know in Canada a lot of people have been forced to cancel their trips because the U.S. still has not opened the land border. We opened our border to U.S. travelers on Aug.9th and everyone was sure the U.S. would reciprocate. When that didn't happen, and not a word from the U.S. as to when it will open, a lot of people had to cancel.

The identical is true for the UK and parts of Europe. They opened to the U.S., but the U.S. did not reciprocate.

Canadians have been able to fly into the US this whole time and still can, it was the quarantine requirement upon return to Canada that made it so unfeasible tbh. That was why my birthday trip in May/June was a solo one, gf just could not do the quarantine. But that’s not an issue anymore and I really don’t think there’s a critical mass of Canadians driving to Orlando to make such a difference in availability. The international guests who would have one imo are much more likely UK guests who can’t get into the country at all right now, the people who were booked last year and pushed their trips out to this fall in hopes they would be free to come by then. Anecdotally, my English step niece and her husband were booked for the week of the 50th due to that and are canceling and they’re not the only ones in their Disney fan social circles over there.

Besides the UK contingent, I think the new availability has to be due to either capacity increasing at the resorts or Covid cancellations. Probably a combo of both. I noticed sudden availability for the 50th weekend even when I checked for giggles last night, at several deluxes. That’s been fully booked up for months btw.

Canadians have been able to fly into the US this whole time and still can, it was the quarantine requirement upon return to Canada that made it so unfeasible tbh. That was why my birthday trip in May/June was a solo one, gf just could not do the quarantine. But that’s not an issue anymore and I really don’t think there’s a critical mass of Canadians driving to Orlando to make such a difference in availability. The international guests who would have one imo are much more likely UK guests who can’t get into the country at all right now, the people who were booked last year and pushed their trips out to this fall in hopes they would be free to come by then. Anecdotally, my English step niece and her husband were booked for the week of the 50th due to that and are canceling and they’re not the only ones in their Disney fan social circles over there.

Besides the UK contingent, I think the new availability has to be due to either capacity increasing at the resorts or Covid cancellations. Probably a combo of both. I noticed sudden availability for the 50th weekend even when I checked for giggles last night, at several deluxes. That’s been fully booked up for months btw.
My post was about the land border travelers from Canada, not those who fly. There actually is a large contingent of people from Ontario who drive down and can't afford to fly - like my own large family. Check out the lander border re-opening thread on the Canadian board and you will see just how many have canceled their trips this year due to the inability to drive down.

My post was about the land border travelers from Canada, not those who fly. There actually is a large contingent of people from Ontario who drive down and can't afford to fly - like my own large family. Check out the lander border re-opening thread on the Canadian board and you will see just how many have canceled their trips this year due to the inability to drive down.

And many more Canadians drive into the US & fly from here. I live in Buffalo, in normal times our airport parking lot is always filled with Ontario license plates. The boarder closing certainly has an impact for Canadians who normally fly from US boarder cities.

I noticed the increased availability also and assumed it was due to cancellations. Lucky me- I was able to extend our trip in September at WL 1 bedroom villa and I got the 25% discount! Wooo

Today I noticed a huge jump in availability for our October trip. I would occasionally see Port Orleans or Coronado pop up, but today seemingly the DVC flood gates opened and villas are available at BC, Boardwalk, Grand, Bay Lake, Boulder Ridge, Copper Creek, Saratoga, and OKW. What the what?!

If the price goes down on our already booked room will Disney give us the new price? (I think I know the answer.)

Today I noticed a huge jump in availability for our October trip. I would occasionally see Port Orleans or Coronado pop up, but today seemingly the DVC flood gates opened and villas are available at BC, Boardwalk, Grand, Bay Lake, Boulder Ridge, Copper Creek, Saratoga, and OKW. What the what?!
They might be available but $$$

People are cancelling due to covid. In the other thread on this topic, it seems like half have cancelled. Especially those with those under 12 who cannot be vaxxed. I am also going to universal and its the same.

People are cancelling due to covid. In the other thread on this topic, it seems like half have cancelled. Especially those with those under 12 who cannot be vaxxed. I am also going to universal and its the same.

This is us. We canceled a 2 week split stay starting Sep 5 at Grand Floridian and Riviera and a two week December trip. The case numbers in Florida are just way too high for us to risk it, especially since our special needs kiddo also has a heart issue.

If the price goes down on our already booked room will Disney give us the new price? (I think I know the answer.)
They do if you call them. Just like if a special comes out after you have booked and there is availability of rooms for that resort in the special.

as of this week, lots of threats to cancel based on the announcement regarding Genie+, I've been taking a look at the DVC but most of my stays I don't want to switch to another resort. the only one I could do that with is right after the 50th celebration and I'm not seeing more availability around that. Maybe when it gets closer to holding points limit.

Park reservations opened up during Christmas week, as well. I think people are cancelling. I don't blame em. We're keeping our reservations, though.
I noticed the same thing. We will be there during that time as well, and I've been continuing to look for different hotels and room choices because we've been having trouble deciding whether we want to do a split stay, stay in a villa vs regular hotel room, etc. I couldn't believe how many options opened up! We're keeping our reservations for now, but will continue to monitor things and make a final decision once it gets closer to our trip dates.

I can say I booked ASMu as soon as it announced reopening for October. Today, I was upgraded to Caribbean Beach resort! What’s odd though is I don’t see any new availability for ASMu for those same dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter