So my neighbor whom i consider a friend...

Op, all joking aside, I learned the hard, embarrassing way that you can not trust every friend. This doesn't mean your not friends, just some people are more discreet then others. With the exception of a couple of people I trust, my motto in life is, if I wouldn't post it on Facebook, I don't say it. Period. This includes some people I call friends.

I have also learned which friends to say something toil I need the word to get out quick. ;)

told our other neighbor about an incident that my DH saw the wife do.

We all drive to the end of the street for the bus stop. This woman is always in a big rush and drives to fast. My husband saw her hit a persons mailbox, then go to pull forward, and in error put the car in reverse and knocked the mailbox down. then she got out of her car, forgot to put it in park, car starts rolling, she jumps back in.

We told our neighbors, swore them to secrecy, had a little laugh about it, expressed mild concern about kids safety....blah blah blah...

So, now apparently they TOLD her what we told them, and her and her husband no longer wave to my husband, we live in a circle of two streets, everyone waves to each other when coming and going.

So my confidante confided in me that this other woman's dogs bit her one day, she swore me to secrecy. I never said a word, not sure which happened first, i think the mailbox incident.

I don't know if I'hormonal or what, but I really want to say to the neighbor, gee have your dogs bitten anyone else?

Course I don't want to start trouble either, but jeesh, when you say you won't say anything DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!

just wanted to get that out, so I don't say it out loud lol.

Some people just can't keep a secret. Now you know not to tell these people things that you don't want repeated.

The reality is that you were gossiping and you got caught.

I am not so sure that this is 'gossip'.

The whole thing occurred right out in the open, for anyone to see.
And, yes, I do think that perhaps the general overall safety and concern for kids in the neighborhood is involved here.

It is not like... "So and so cheated on so and so..." or "So-and-so said this about so-and-so..." or "So-and-so said they might decide to to do this or that..." etc.

But, having said that, the other posters here are correct.
Those who DO gossip will gossip against you as well as gossip to you.

I have never, ever, participated in gossip...
Don't like it in neighborhoods, circles of friends, family, etc...
I try to avoid it like the plague!

In my opinion, the OP did gossip about her neighbor. In fact, a person should never say something about another person if they won't say it in front of the person they are talking about.

Anyway, the OP should tell her neighbor she is sorry for gossiping about her and that it won't happen again.

This is what I dislike about neighbors, I like hello and goodbye and have a nice day. You have learned a lesson.

My grandmother used to say "when more than one knows a secret it is no longer a secret."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter