So now we've seen the Kong POV, what do we think?

SteamboatAdam

Earning My Ears
Here it is for anyone who has not yet seen it:

Honestly, I am very disappointed with this. I've been really excited in the build up as the outside theming of it looks truly amazing, I think they've done a really good job there. Once you get inside though, it's just all screens! They haven't even attempted to incorporate any sort of animatronics apart from the final Kong, which just looks like a remaster of the one from the old ride. For me, as soon as you see that its just screens, all the suspense is completely lost.

Now I imagine that actually riding it is a completely different experience, but I was really expecting something different/REAL for this.

It looks great. Any pov online is not a true representation of what it's like in person.

I think the issue is Universal has set the bar way to high from the HP stuff and anything not better than that people are disappointed.

The ride looks to be in line with Shrek/Minions with a 4D feel. I saw how the vehicle rocked when Kong 'jumped' from one side to the other. But, I do agree with you on the animatronics at the end; completely unlinked to the story.

For me, a little motion while wearing 3D glasses goes a long way. I screamed like I was going to die on Minions, and we never left the floor! Loved every minute of it, but was in a full cold sweat at the end.

I leave tomorrow and I think it looks amazing! The fact is that Universal just can't go high because of restrictions, so what else is there to do? I guess it is all perspective, as we are passholders at Cedar Point and can ride tall, fast coasters whenever we want, and Universal offers us something different. And I love 3D!!!

I can't wait to feel the movement, have the glasses on, and hear the sound!!! So pumped!!! But I am a wuss, I still get goosebumps when Optimus Prime gets right in my face and calls me a Freedom Fighter, no matter how many times I ride Transformers. Can't wait to see the Giant Kong at the end up close and personal!

It is impossible to judge any 3D from a video. It is also impossible to judge immersion from a video. You can't tell what is video and what is set, so how can you make a judgement? I think it will be a great addition to the parks. I don't expect every ride to be miles above the one before.

I got on it right before they stopped it for the evening last night, it's MUCH better than what the video shows, a lot going on in both sides, nothing quite like it in Orlando. The queue is amazing, but will likely scare little kids, so beware.

I'm going to try to go again tonight. The driver animatronic I saw was surprisingly good, and there are 5 different ones. It's a ride you immediately feel like you want to try again since there is so much to look at.

BTW, They had signs out saying no videotaping and the like so whomever posted the video was sneaking it and breaking the rules.

It looks pretty cool but I too was hoping for more animatronics as well. I loved the Kong that was part of the original ride. The one on this ride looked a bit out of place. I am sure once I get to experience it I will be blown away though!

It is impossible to judge any 3D from a video. It is also impossible to judge immersion from a video. You can't tell what is video and what is set, so how can you make a judgement? I think it will be a great addition to the parks. I don't expect every ride to be miles above the one before.
I agree that it's hard to judge a ride from a POV video, but not impossible, you can still get an overall feel and since I won't be making the trip to Universal during my Disney vacation this summer this is the only choice I have!
I totally understand what you're saying though and I have no doubt what so ever that the experience is exponentially better in real life. The queue is absolutely outstanding, truly a great build up to the ride.
I honestly just expected that we would be getting more AAs, using screens seems like such a cheap and easy option, even when it is done to a high standard which it clearly has been done to here. I think a ride like this has so much potential, Universal could have really created a thrilling, and genuinely scary ride here but for me as I said, I soon as I see those screens I'm not scared any more.

Once you get inside though, it's just all screens! They haven't even attempted to incorporate any sort of animatronics apart from the final Kong, which just looks like a remaster of the one from the old ride. For me, as soon as you see that its just screens, all the suspense is completely lost.

Quite honestly, that's not really different from a lot of the more popular rides at US/IoA. Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Gringott's, Simpson's, Minions, Transformers...they're all "screen based" for the most part. There is some hard theming (ie...animatronics) mixed in, but the screens is where the bulk of the focus of the ride is.

There's nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is. Universal is making it work for them. Disney is still really working the animatronic angle for its rides, and it works for them as well. Of course, it may also explain some of why it takes them 3-4 years to build a ride, whereas US is done in less than 2.

At least Kong isn't 'stuck' inside a mountain. If he decides to take an extended breather, they will be able to easily give him a nudge...unlike the poor, sad Yeti @ Everest.:rolleyes1

I'd rather see more animatronics used also, but it seems to be way of the future.

Based on the video, and the previews of the attraction, the ride is pretty much what I expected it to be. When the ride was originally announced I think most everyone was expecting a "plussed" version of Kong 360 at USH. Looking at it objectively, the story has 6 scenes (not counting load and unload). 3 are practical 3 are projection based.

Scene 1 Exterior prologue - practical (no AA except driver).
Scene 2 Great Ape Skeleton - Practical (AA bats)
Scene 3 Bat Scene - Screen
Scene 4 Bug Scene - Screen
Scene 5 Dino/Kong Battle Screen
Scene 6 Kong - Practical AA Kong.

The Average Guest is going to see at least 7 AA including the queue.

Based only on the video, the one complaint (that I've heard from others) is the video in the 360 room stops before you exit An extra few seconds of film (possibly even on a loop) while you leave would smooth that out nicely.

Any value judgments I'm going to save until I get a chance to ride it. That being said, I'd like to see them branch into doing something different. But we "know" Fast and Furious: supercharged is most likely a plussed version of the Fast and furious version of the F&F part of the USH tram ride which is a 360 screen like Kong combined with Musion effect in the prearea. And Jimmy Fallon is going to be a Soarin' type ride by with a flying theater instead of "hang gliders."

ETA: Tim Tracker posted his queue video and review of the ride he and Jenn enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I thought that they were billing this as an innovative never before seen ride experience. Isn't this just Kong 360 with better theming and an AA that Is a step backwards from the original Kong? They even went as far as replacing the falling US tram with the IOA ride vehicle in the film. I was expecting screens but I thought they would alternate between the screen and then maybe an AA kong fighting a T. rex.

I've resisted the urge to watch the video so far. I want to just experience it for what it is the first time. I'm pretty confident it will be a fantastic experience. I don't have a problem with screens and I won't pass judgement until I experience it in person.

I don't have a problem with screens either but it's getting a bit much no...?

Harry Potter forbidden journey
Escape from Gringots
Minons
Transformers
Shrek
Spider-Man

Now King Kong...?

I'll tell you my favorite ride in Universal hands down is the mummy when the fire comes :0

Looks good, and good for me and others who are terrified of roller coasters. I enjoy rides that are immersive without extreme drops/thrills etc

I saw some Periscope the ride and it looks great. Can't wait to ride it myself. And about the "Screens", if people are complaining now, I guess they will be throwing a fit next year, when the other rides debut.

I don't have a problem with screens either but it's getting a bit much no...?

Harry Potter forbidden journey
Escape from Gringots
Minons
Transformers
Shrek
Spider-Man

Now King Kong...?

I'll tell you my favorite ride in Universal hands down is the mummy when the fire comes :0
Me too! The first time I was actually scared because I thought the ride was malfunctioning haha the fire was SO hot

Very underwhelming. I don't even think riding it in person would help my opinion. The Kong animatronic was a big disappointment compared to the one in the queue. The queue was amazing (well minus the scare actors, sorry I'm not into that thing), the ride just seemed like the Hollywood tour version. Was I rough? Yes, but I gave it a great chance, heck my jaw dropped in the queue! I am a universal fan deep down but I also feel I hold them to the high standard everyone puts them in.
The YouTube comments are very entertaining to read, if you're into screen vs. sets debates and hearing universal fanboys acting like people on call of duty. :D

I've resisted the urge to watch the video so far. I want to just experience it for what it is the first time. I'm pretty confident it will be a fantastic experience. I don't have a problem with screens and I won't pass judgement until I experience it in person.

I agree with this statement. I am not watching any POV of the ride so I can get a totally new experience. Can't wait until August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter