So sad for friend leaving in 2 weeks and NO adrs!

As others have said, tell her to keep trying and hopefully something will open up. Try online, and also to be flexible with times.

I know our first trip was in June of 2008 - we booked it TWO weeks beforehand and added on the dining plan and then to realize we couldn't get any ADRs! But, we kept trying and did have some luck for our little 3-night stay.
We got Ohana's breakfast for 8:00 (TOO early for my family, but we made it!), Whispering Canyon Cafe at 8:40 (rather late for the two 5-year olds, but we managed) and a 10:00 H&Vine playhouse dis breakfast.

Then on our arrival day, tried calling dining from the DME bus - and thankfully they had a dinner opening for Crystal Palace at the perfect time for us.

We were meeting a friend down in WDW, and those were restaurants she said would be good, so worked out we got what we were looking for.

So tell her to be persistent!

I understand her fustrations, we are the family though that when it used to be the 180 day mark we were on the phone booking our adr's 180 plus 10, though after we did that, sometimes we would want to switch times or places and let me tell you that was not happening. Though I encourage her to keep trying, because that is what we did, there were times i was on the phone with DD at least 3 to 4 times, just checking. Now Sat. Oct. 3rd has a Tusker House opening for 4:10....dunno how long it will be there but that is Character dining. Also, when you get down there, call DD or just go up to the restaurants and see if they have an opening, we have had to cancel meals due to schedules or illness, I have a soy allergy and sometimes manage to find a food item with soy, it is joyful...but have had to move to a different restaurant at a later time, and have been able to do that ok, because well stuff happens and people have been lucky to get our ressie at O'hana or someplace like that.

Please tell her that WDW is magical without one ADR. It is. I have personally been there at least 12 times without an ADR. I actually despise them - they totally interrupt my lazy time. :lmao:

Listen - please tell her that they are TS that she will get into - either cancellations, lucky switchover time walk ups or they just aren't known or popular. And there are fantastic counter services whose food is as good as TS (Wolfgang Puck's Express - both locations at DD; Pepper Market CS).

Beaches and Cream and ESPN do not take reservations. Neither does the new Paradiso restaurant (DD - this one is not on the DP). So everyone is equal.

Kouzzina is new - might get in there.

As for characters - I would just try online every day until she leaves. And when she gets there.

Both the Swan and the Dolphin have great restaurants.

Trail's End - not advertised but the buffet can be taken out. I swear one buffet buy can feed three they give you so many containers. I've taken it to the marina and had some of my loveliest meals.

Sanaa (AKV - Kidani) - some seats are right on the Savanna. And I believe that only lunch reservations are available online. So being a new place - we were there for a late lunch and it was empty.

Keep trying.

my story, the kids decided they wanted to eat at Akershus, the next day! So we got there early and while standing in line at the podium I was on the phone with Disney Dining, they were telling me there was nothing available but when I got to the podium they had just had a cancelation for a party of 6 and we were seated in 15 minutes. It can happen!

Also utilize guest services at the resort, we got in at 1900 Park Faire the same day, the guy behind the desk was once a manager there and he said that in the 2 years he worked there that had never happened.

If they don't get any table service it's ok! We did a last minute trip over Christmas in 2005 and did 1 table service and had a blast. It was actually kind of nice to not have to worry about being at a certain place at a certain time.

You know, those of us on the Dining board obviously feel a strong desire to eat at table service spots but for many many WDW guests - it's a time waster. Especially those who save up money and get to go once.

Her child will have no idea that there is a breakfast at the Poly with Stitch. How would he? A child will be so thrilled to just be at WDW, and see his favorite characters throughout the park, and watch the parades and fireworks, and the overpriced buffet that allows a character to come by his table instead of him waiting in a line isn't something he even knows exists.

Don't feel bad for them - be excited that they get to go! "In real life", I know lots of people who visit WDW and don't eat a single table service meal on site and have the BEST trip. Food is really not the center of a fabulous WDW trip.

I agree 100%

I went for years without ever having an ADR or a TS meal and loved going to Disney. I actually found it to be a large pain when we had the DP and had so many ADR's that were ruling my time.

I so agree with the child won't miss it and heck won't even know about it if he isn't told about character dining! He is going to the most magical place there is and he doesn't need a bunch of CM's in costumes coming to his table to have a fabulous time.

The should just go and enjoy which they would have before they found out about making ADR's

this isnt the end of the world for her. I would suggest that she be very persistent at this point and check online constantly throughout the day. I will tell you that i became very lucky the last few weeks (especially the week leading up to our trip) because i had gotten a cancellation for CM for 5:00 dinner for our arrival (i had been trying for weeks & weeks to change our day) and they had also opened up many blocks of times for CM, 1900 park fare and Ohana. They dont open up times all at once they spread them out.
The last week is especially important for her to keep checking (every hour or two if possible and pop in every restaurant that she is interested in). It is time consuming but in the end she will get what she wants.

While I feel somewhat bad for your friends... she should be blaming the inlaws who waited till the last minute to invite them. Yeah it sucks they aren't getting restaurants they want and what not, but if it's their first time, they're going to have PLENTY to do without committing an hour or two to eatting at a sit-down.

Many many years ago (probably about 12-13 now?) when I planned my first adult trip to Disney, I did my research and called in advance (well in advance) to make my reservations because for me at least, part of the magic is in the themed and character dining. So while I feel bad for your friend, it's not fair to say that first-timers don't know about this...they do...she just didn't.

You have to keep in mind that the OP said their friend was taking their first trip to WDW with only two weeks notice. Even the most die-hard Disney fanatic would have problems getting ADR's at the two week point. Even with all the research you could cram into two weeks, that wouldn't change the fact that most people booked their ADR's 90 days ago. From the email the friend sent the OP, it sounds like the OP had warned them that this could be an issue, but the friend thought they were exaggerating the situation. Obviously, if they had known a year out that they were going, and still didn't plan, I wouldn't have any sympathy for them (especially in the age of the Internet).

Personally, since my trips are mostly solo, I don't buy the dining plan - which means I don't have the pressure of "use it or lose it" dining credits. I have a 10 day stay booked in December and have 1 ADR booked, and another 10 day stay booked in late January with no plans to book ADR's at all. I like to go with the flow, and pick up some CS food whenever and wherever I get hungry. I know not everyone tours that way, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a first timer (provided they do NOT have the dining plan) just because it would mean putting the emphasis on the attractions and shows where it should be, instead of spending a lot of time on meals.

Dare I say ... there's always counter service, which we have found more than satisfying and the portions are huge. :thumbsup2 Also, there is a character breakfast over at the Swan/Dolphin, I believe, on the weekends. :cool2:

Last Dec 14-20...one even our son & family called for a dinner resi for France in Epcot & it was available...was for around 8 pm.....u just never know.

I would encourage her to keep trying as well. Stuff opens up all the time.

We didn't have a single ADR during our last trip by choice! We were offsite though and ate in offsite places or just enjoyed counter service at WDW. There are great counter service places particularly at Epcot plus she can find restaurants at Downtown Disney. I also agree that it's a good idea to keep checking.

I had no desire to get into the frantic calling and all of that this trip. Maybe next time.

We didn't have a single ADR during our last trip by choice! We were offsite though and ate in offsite places or just enjoyed counter service at WDW. There are great counter service places particularly at Epcot plus she can find restaurants at Downtown Disney. I also agree that it's a good idea to keep checking.
:thumbsup2

I have tried to encourage first timers to book ADR's early, and most don't believe me. They think they can just walk up and be seated.

I don't understand why first timers don't use a TA. There is no extra cost involved, and the TA will book all their dining reservations, etc.

I don't think most TA's are very knowledgable of WDW either, unless they are a TA that specializes in WDW. I also think most first timers think of Disney as no different than Six Flags or Dollywood, they just don't realize how much effort needs to go into it. I remember before our first trip DH wanted to buy one of those WDW books, UG or Binbaum's maybe. I told him, Why buy a book it's just Disney. but he didn't listen and bought the book anyway, I was very glad because I had no clue.

A friend called and was invited at the last minute to join her inlaws at AKL villas the first week of OCT. I immediately encouraged her to try to make ADRs. She did but all character meals were booked as well as most restaurants. This will probably be their only trip . Their son is 4. Here is the email I got from her....

I am so mad right now.
Everything is booked for that week with characters and she said restaurants are book ahead as well. What is wrong with these people?
Who the heck reserves that far in advance? If you are going for your frist trip...who the heck knows you have to do that? Or who tells you this info!
SO mad! I don't even want to go anymore.
Stupid people! Excuse the vent session but gosh you were right!

Don't take for granted that you know the system. Most don't. And for her, it was not her fault. Just found out they could go.:sad1:

I do feel bad for her, because at least she's trying to plan, and took your advice. There was a similar thread on here recently about someone's friends who absolutely refused to attempt to plan anything. She even tried to walk up and get a table at V&A's on a Saturday night (soo... I laughed... a little)
But I do feel bad for your friend, because she is trying.

Has she tried getting ADRs at AKL. Boma is supposed to be really great, and Sanaa is relatively new, so she may be able to get ADRs there.

Also, what are the places she tried? She probably won't be able to get in at a Character meal, but there should be availability elsewhere, especially at the resorts.

I know it's Free Dining during her trip, and Food & Wine Festival?, so that's probably affecting availability, but we were able to change our ADRs a day in advance in July, so I have a hard time believing there is absolutely nothing available.

I really hope she finds somewhere to eat, but she probably needs to expand her choices.

I am going to re-emphasize what some of the previous posters have said. Tell her don't give up and to keep trying through the online ADR system or by calling. We leave in less than a week, and this morning I was just able to add a Crystal Palace breakfast to our plans. It is possible!!

Tell your friend that things will be fine! In a way, I think she may have dodged a bullet. I think that most of the TS restaurants are overpriced and offer extremely mediocre food...and I think that your average 4 year old is going to think that eating at places like Pecos Bill, Cosmic Rays, Pizzafari, etc is JUST FINE. The CS restaurants are fun, well-themed, and allow you to get in and out and back on the rides in no time!

I do think a character meal is a nice addition to a trip, so I would second the idea of the Garden Grove at the Swan (which is a character meal for dinner every night and for breakfast on weekends). The Swan is an easy trip over from Epcot or DHS, and they'll get to dine with all of the classic characters. This meal isn't as well known and doesn't book up as quickly...good luck to your friend!

I'm not sure what her dates are, or her party size, but I've been doing some searches for a party of 5 between Oct 4-8, and I've found multiple ADRs at DHS, including Hollywood & Vine: Play & Dine for Breakfast (I have no idea if those characters appeal to 4 y.o, but it's a character meal in a park) plus multiple lunch places (Sci Fi Dine In, 50's Prime Time...).
Biergarten still has some availability for both lunch and dinner.
Ohana has a breakfast opening for 10:20am on Wednesday Oct 7th (Mickey and Lilo and Stitch)
Boma has breakfast openings and Yak & Yeti has openings as well.

I know those places might not be ideal, but she'd be able to get in somewhere.

I know it's frustrating, but most popular restaurants take reservations when you're on vacation anywhere. It just so happens that Disney has a limited number of restaurants that happen to be popular and/or the only place to eat while people are vacationing there.

"stupid people", she is calling those who pre~planned "stupid". Hmmmm, does she want to rethink her comment and possibly come up with the conclusion that she may be the "not so smart one". Whose fault is it that she booked last minute? "What is wrong with people?" Hmmmm, again, take a look in the hall mirror baby. Anyways, there is food in Disney, the counter services are not dog food.................:surfweb::banana::cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter