So we WERE going to go to Food & Wine...

I just finished reading this book cover to cover. My girls want to spend a few weeks in Europe when they both graduate college so we were trying to figure out a reasonable budget so they can start saving up. It's a great read, and gives some very practical tips that I would never have even thought of. Hoping there's a new edition in print by the time my girls are ready to go.

Going to London and Paris w my daughter when she graduates in May. Read through that as well as the DK books for visual help. Absolutely cannnot wait to go!!!

Oh! We are in the complete opposite boat to you!!! We go to Germany a few times every year, and right now we're trying to decide whether to forgo the next few trips to save money for a trip to WDW for food and wine next year! I hope you have an amazing time!!! Here are my tips though:

Trains in Germany are widespread, fast, reliable and fantastic value for day tickets - I know you have a car rental but it if you are doing your own food and wine (or beer!) day out I'd leave the car behind so you can make the most of it. :)

Does where you're staying change a tourist tax? If so, you might get some discounts like free public transport. I've never stayed in Heidelberg but its not uncommon in other parts of the country.

Is your accommodation self catered? Lidl is a great discount food store. There will also be plenty of bäckerei if something small like a pastry or filled roll will do you for breakfast.

I'm not sure I'd bother leaving Germany, except maybe for Strasbourg as its not too far away, but really Germany is a fantastic and varied country with lots to see and do. If you need to scratch a theme park itch, and you do stay stay a night in Strasbourg, one of Germany's best theme parks is nearby. Europa-Park opens for its winter season on the 24th November.

Have a fantastic holiday!

My parents have taken guided tours through Gate 1 and been really happy. They went to China and Nepal on one trip and Cuba on another.

That is good to hear! We haven't used Gate 1 before, but they always seem to have great deals on Travelzoo.

If you are there late enough in November you might be able to catch some of the European Christmas markets. I went to one in Brussels 2 years ago, it was so cool! I actually said it reminded me of the Food & Wine festival! Lots of different food and alcohol booths, plus awesome shopping with mostly handmade things. I hope to go to a Christmas Market in Germany one day.

Being a Disney fan, I would definitely plan a trip to Neuschwanstein Castle, the Bavarian castle used as the inspiration for the Disneyland castle. When we went we stayed in Hohenschwangau, which was 100% worth the price (not expensive by any means) with the free breakfast. Our hotel had a grocery store across the street which was CHEAP!!! We also went a restaurant right down the street from the hotel and it had the BEST views and the BEST sausage and beer! There was even an umpa band that played while we were there. It was AMAZING and inexpensive! If you need more info, I'm happy to provide you with the name of the hotel and the restaurant (which both escape me at this time). You're going to love Germany!

Never been to Germany, but for anyone thinking of future trips, we found Budapest to be a great destination. Inexpensive food and lodging (we did airbnb), great public transportation, we never felt unsafe, even walking around late at night. We took the train to Vienna, and experienced a very nice Christmas market near the town hall, as well as one at Schonbrunn. Be sure to get some Gluehwein wherever you go to a Christmas market, it is usually in neat souvenir mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter