• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So... what are you doing for the long weekend?

I know it's great to have a long weekend to relax on but so many seem to have forgotten WHY we have this long weekend. It would be nice if a few of you would make a trip to your local cemetary and honor a service member who gave his life defending our country so you can have this long weekend.

It saddens me to see no mention of duty,honor or respect. I grew up in a family that has fought in just about every war this country has had and had it drilled into me that this day was not for me to sit on my butt but the day to pay my respects for those whose actions were greater than mine and afforded me all that I had.

My plans for the weekend do include cleaning and a bbq but they also involve going to the cemetary with my children so they can appreciate the day for what it is supposed to be and preparing foods to be had by soldiers still here with us to acknowledge their sacrifice and dedication.

It would be nice to see more people who truly understand the meaning of this day and ways that they are honoring this day!

binny said:
This is the weekend we normally go to the Oregon Coast and go camping. With just moving in though we will be staying here and getting some work done around the house.

I have a great weekend of painting, stripping wallpaper, and just generaly fixing things planned.

SO what are your Memorial Day weekend plans? :)

Well, at least I won't be alone. We are doing the same, stripping wallpaper (only 4 walls fortunately!!!!) and painting. We will throw in a round of golf somewhere this weekend though. It is supposed to be in the 90's here this weekend so that will be interesting.

irishbosoxfan, just because I didnt post about it doesnt mean I wont do it.

Our family has also fought for this country in every generation since we arrived. Just because it wasnt posted doesnt mean it we didnt plan on honouring our heroes.

Binny, I am glad you have included some time for remembrance in your plans and that is what I was saying--I would like to see what other people have planned to honor the day and the people aside from chores and bbqs.

We''ve got a real fun weekend planned..We're packing and cleaning so we can start moving next week.:) Our kids are excited about the move, but not the packing and cleaning. :teeth:
Kim

My parents are coming to vist Fri-Sun and my best friend is coming sunday-monday.

Working from 7:30am until 8pm Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. WOOHOO!!!! PARTAY!

Oh well... I'll pretend last weekend was my Memorial Day weekend- I spent it w/ DBF in Hatteras and Ocracoke, NC :love:

Saturday walking in the AM with our walking group. Then weeding the big garden. Saturday night going to a birthday party for our friend's 10 year old son.

Sunday walking with our walking group then to a baby shower then to a picnic.

Monday working days...time and a half.

My friend and I are taking a girls over night trip into NYC to day. Just bumming around and doing whatever we feel like. The only two planned things are a meal at Rosa Mexicana and the Yankee game tonight. Now, because I took the day off today we are going to have a few thunder storms :furious: . It never fails.

I have a very busy weekend ahead of me.

Saturday: my dad is taking us to Calhoun's in Ft. Louden. It's about an hour trip

Sunday: FIL's b-day was this week. We are going to church with my ILs and taking them out to eat.

Monday: Hubby and I are going to Fall Creek Falls. It about a 1 1/2 hour drive from here. We try to go every Memorial Day.

Tuesday: Hubby suprised me by taking it off! We are going to go see "Poisidon" and to the Macaroni Grill.

I'm going to start digging out our suitcases for our trip which is in two weeks from tomorrow. Also I'm planning a family grill out! :)

Staying in for the weekend. I am having a small bbq on Sunday. Me, dh, mom and Godmother! :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'll be packing for our trip to WDW! No barbeque for us this Memorial Day. Doing last minute shopping and fretting that I'm forgetting something! :cheer2:

DD is Graduation from HS - Party!! Memorial Day will be around the house work and rest!! Only 6 days of school left for us!! Last year at this time, I started caring for my father. His health deteriorated pretty fast and he passed on July 24th. It was a sleepless and stressful time for me. Then it was move my Mom and sell her house after 60 years,on May 16th! It has been a very long year. I am looking forward to a bit of me time this summer!!!

Fri night - Chili's w/DH & DS
Sat morn - meeting/coffee; Sat afternoon - nearby Lake, grocery shop
Sun - back to Lake, take DS to XMen
Mon - back to Lake

I have to work the entire weekend, Monday included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter