So what do you think of Key West resort?

Old Key West is a lovely resort with a Florida "condo" community feeling. One bedroom and larger units have full kitchens, studios have a microwave and mini-fridge.

Since you enjoy camping type vacations (assumed from your screen name), you may have your TA check into a cabin at Ft. Wilderness...I think they may be less expensive than Old Key West, with a more rustic theme.

Old key west is a great choice but I agree with Ft. Wilderness as well I love the cabins and wish they were part of DVC. The kitchen is great and you have the added bonus of the grill right outside your door.

My home resort is OKW and we stayed there last year. We loved how quiet it is and that the buses come pretty regularly. This year we are staying at BCV, but that is only because my mother and father in law are in elec. wheel chairs and they are a pain to get on the buses. Otherwise, we would go back to Key West. Have fun and it is worth the money.

Also, if you are going to stay at a DVC resort, you might want to check the DIS DVC Rent/Trade board and look into the feasiblity and cost of renting points from an owner. Read the FAQ and "A Word to the Wise" first.

Depending on when you are visiting, you may save a bunch of money renting points rather than paying cash.

OKW is second to last on our list of favourite resorts ok maybe 3rd to last ahead of VWL and BCV. The rooms are large and very clean but the resort itself is just way to slow fo our family but the new pool slide has helped ease that a bit. It certainly is no BWV or SSR for sure.

Lsat year we tried the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Liked them well enough but were then moved to a 2 bedroom at OKW during Hurricane Jeanne. Oh my gosh! WOW!!!!! Talk about being in Heaven! Extremely happy. I dont think you will be disappointed. Check out the site JimMIA posted.

We love OKW. It's a very pretty resort, themed after the Key West, FL region. You'll find the villas very spacious and a nice "open-feel" kitchen area. We feel like that everyone can really relax and spread out. The extra big balcony is something we particularily like. We love having our breakfast out there first thing in the morning. The balconies at the other DVC resorts are smaller (at least the ones we've seen/experienced).
The resort also has a full-service restaurant, boat rentals and boat transportation to DD. We stayed there twice in the past year and found the busses to be running very well----on average, every 10-15 min.
But I agree, if your board name rings true about the camping, you might really appreciate the Ft Wilderness cabins.
Good luck in your decision.

I just love reading about OKW. I have booked our first trip to disney for February with my DH, DD7, DS5 and DD2 and decided to rent points from a DVC member and staying at OKW. After reading all these posts, I get so excited to go. It sounds exactly what we are looking for...a relaxing place to go after a day at the parks. Can't wait! We decided to not rent a car and will use the bus service. If we have to wait for a bus then we have to wait.

Thanks so much for everyones helpful advice!! You are right we were avid campers with lots of "Griswald" moments. We have camped at Ft. Wilderness about 7 times, but alas sold the camper after baby #3. We wanted to try something different and Key West was recomended, so I knew I could get lots of opinions on these boards. I will definately be looking into this more and more!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter