• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So... what jobs, if any, still get a holiday bonus?

I got a Christmas bonus equal to one weeks pay. We also received a ham. I also get a performance bonus in Sept. I work for a privately held corporation in the HR dept.

I worked for the govt. for my entire career. Needless to say, no bonuses. Some years my boss would take his middle managers out for lunch, which was very generous.

Employee expectations at Christmas can be tricky to manage.

One year, a new (to me) employee asked me if I was following his previous manager's tradition of paying for Christmas lunch, with alcoholic beverages, for the entire section. His previous manager had a section of about 12 people. My section had a total of 40 people. Employee was cranky when I told him that I couldn't take everyone out for lunch. (My best guess was that it would have cost a minimum of about $1600 plus tip to equal the generosity of the previous manager).

I work in finance for a large financial institution, and we didn't get anything. I've had managers in the past give out gift cards but not the past couple years.

I work for a large public company. Until this year I was a member of the year end bonus pool and got between $7,500 - $10,000 per year bonus. This past summer I was informed with a few of my co-workers that we were being booted out of the program due to lack of funds to pay the bonuses. To my surprise the upper level management (CEO, CFO etc..) got 20% increases in their bonus levels this year. Wonder how the company paid for that?

Hence the reason I'm sitting here updating my resume this morning while the kid takes a nap after getting up to early this morning.

We still do bonuses. We get a WHOPPING $25 - $100 depending on how long you have been there. This is the same that it has been for the last 15 years or so.

This thread is making me sad. I guess I was envisioning everyone in the working world (I'm a SAHM now and my DH is self-employed) happily receiving a check (a ham, something!) to top off their holiday season. :(

A teenager at church asked me if I was looking forward to my two weeks off. ??? I asked him if he was volunteering to take my kids for two weeks so I would have some time "off". Now THAT would be a bonus! ;) Obviously he was thinking in terms of his school vacation, but it reminded me of how little we all really know (or what we assume) about other people's situations.

I worked as a nurse for years and never got a bonus. My husband is a river boat pilot and the last company he worked for gave huge generous Christmas bonuses but this new company he works for doesn't. They did send us a little happy gift in the mail. It was grocery related and nothing we would ever use but I sent them a thank you card anyway.

Manager's get a yearly stock bonus if they meet or exceed goes, usually in July/August I think.

Everyone gets a Christmas Box, items very each year.

Others get stock bonus if they do something far above an beyond and are nominated for it, hard to get.

I work for a large hospital system and all employees got a $20 check. Actually, it was like $28 and change but with taxes taken out it was exactly $20. One of my co-workers previously worked for another hospital here in Tampa and they all got $500 each year at Christmas! The old hospital I worked at gave everyone their choice of either a ham or turkey at Christmas.

I am not complaining since I am seeing how many people don't get any kind of bonus or gift and to be honest, I am grateful to have a job at all. There are many who would love to have a job, even if it doesn't come with a Christmas bonus.

At my old job we all got a weeks pay as a bonus. It was family owned and had about 75 employees. At the job after that we didn't get anything, it was too big of a company and all corporate run.

We don't get a holiday bonus but we do get a performance based bonus (personal and company performance) in the spring. I did come into work today though with a gift from the company on my desk. It was a coffe mug with the company name and 2012 with a $5 Starbucks card in side. I have a feeling the mugs were left over from a marketing campaign or something. I work for a large Fortune 500 company.

Our holiday bonus is typically a gift card to a local home improvement store. This year, the company decided to pull together all our bonuses and donate it to Superstorm Sandy victims. (We didn't mind, which probably tells you how little the bonus typically has been.)

I work for a non-profit, we do get a bonus most years. It's based on how far under budget we come in at. The past few years we've done very well and we get the full bonus, which is 5% of our annual pay.

What's really great is they tell us in August that we are getting it (or not but that's rare), and how much, so we can easily plan our holiday spending. The bonus is not paid until early December.

I work for a large hospital system ( nurse) ; ALL fulltime employees got $150; part time received I believe $75.

No Christmas bonus here, but then again I am happy to have a job that I enjoy. Bonuses are a gift, not to be expected, that are added into your ytd earnings and taxed at a much higher rate. My last position did bonuses every year and people relied on them for Christmas shopping, so if they didn't get them, they would be devastated. I think the idea of a "Christmas bonus" is a bit antiquated in this day and age...

My company sent us a $25 dollar gift card in early December. Last week it showed up on my paycheck as a bonus so that it could be taxed. I appreciate that they thought of us, but not sure it was worth it for the $16 or so that we ended up getting. And it was very confusing on the paycheck since they listed it as a bonus so it could be taxed and then lower down deducted the $25 again because they had sent the gift card in the mail, so it actually lowered my paycheck last week unexpectedly since the extra "bonus" taxes were taken out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter