So what's on your holiday menu? Lets share, and get and give some new ideas

I love glazed carrots... over the last few years... I finally perfected the way my family loves them even my DD who really doesn't like carrots... I steam them first in a electric steamer, to just right at done, I melt a stick of butter, honey, some brown sugar, ( you can use maple syrup, for a nice maple favor if you like) and quite a few shakes of Worcestershire, salt and pepper... Once just to done, I drain off any water which is normally not very much, then add them to the pan, with the butter mixture... and let them simmer for a while... so good...
I typically make them in a crockpot on Thanksgiving--one less thing to fuss over. I might do them on the stove this year, because the crockpot is earmarked for "endless hot cocoa". I have different-sized crockpots (I'm a fan), but either 6 quarts of hot cocoa or 6 quarts of carrots seems like a little much. Then again, it's Christmas--maybe we'll NEED 6 quarts of hot cocoa.

I typically make them in a crockpot on Thanksgiving--one less thing to fuss over. I might do them on the stove this year, because the crockpot is earmarked for "endless hot cocoa". I have different-sized crockpots (I'm a fan), but either 6 quarts of hot cocoa or 6 quarts of carrots seems like a little much. Then again, it's Christmas--maybe we'll NEED 6 quarts of hot cocoa.

I tried the crock pot method... and it was a disaster... I have no idea what happened... while I did not put any water into the crock pot, there was a awful lot of it in there, and it separated from the glazing mixture... and they went from raw to way over cooked to mushy... is a very short time... I would like to be able to do them in a crock pot. Any tips or suggestions?

This year I am going to try roasted shallots...recipe sounds yummy and would go good with Prime Rib.

I tried the crock pot method... and it was a disaster... I have no idea what happened... while I did not put any water into the crock pot, there was a awful lot of it in there, and it separated from the glazing mixture... and they went from raw to way over cooked to mushy... is a very short time... I would like to be able to do them in a crock pot. Any tips or suggestions?

I just followed a recipe on Pinterest. You didn't add the glaze ingredients until the end, though--maybe that would help with your water problem? But, if you have a recipe that you love, I'd just stick with that. I just like the crockpot because it's one less last-minute, on the stove prep thing.

I've been watching YouTube videos of the Wigilia in Poland and the Italian 7 fishes for Christmas Eve.

I'll be giving my family Christmas Eve ala my parents' house and Christmas Day ala my MIL's, but with my twists.

Christmas Eve will be started with the breaking of oplatek. The meal will consist of potato/cheese and cabbage/cheese pierogis (made last weekend), shrimp cocktail, Italian seafood salad, fried smelts, fried cod and calamari sauce over linguine.

Christmas Day will be prime rib with roasted butternut squash and roasted potatoes and homemade meat and cheese ravioli in Sunday Sauce (made yesterday).

Homemade cookies and poppy seed rolls will be the dessert on Christmas Eve and tiramisu will be for Christmas Day.

I'll be dropping off some pierogis and ravioli and sauce with meatballs and sausage and seafood salad at my parents' house with oplatek for them and my siblings. My MIL will get everything in a prepared state for her to enjoy when she wishes.

Oplatek, for those who do not know, is a wafer, purchased at the church, that is broken at the start of the Christmas Eve dinner with everyone present. It represents forgiving anything that has happened over the year and starting a clean slate for the coming year. It is also a way to share our blessings with everyone present and to wish a Merry Christmas.

Change of plans...due to some timing issues, Chinese take out is off the table for Christmas Eve. I'm still grieving the loss of the Peking duck :( but the Prime Rib I planned for New Years will now be the Christmas Eve meal. Sides will be Broccoli in a soy-sauce based sauce that my Mom used to make, and an Instant Pot risotto recipe I found. I have garlic bread as a backup starch in case the risotto doesn't work out LOL

Maybe I'll get the Peking Duck on New Year's Eve now :)

I’m doing charcuterie boards. This is my shopping list. I let everyone pick their favorite things.

Christmas board
  1. Sam’s Chicken salad (bought)
  2. Crackers (bought)
  3. Bacon wrapped dates (mom)
  4. Pineapple cheeseball (ingredients bought)
  5. Pimento cheese jalapeño (ingredients bought)
  6. Horseradish cheddar (bought)
  7. Smoked cheddar (bought)
  8. Gouda (bought)
  9. Cheesecake (bought)
  10. Sliced apples (bought)
  11. Grapefruit (bought)
  12. Grapes
  13. BlackBerries (bought)
  14. Summer sausage (bought)
  15. Cold shrimp of some kind
  16. Ham thin sliced
  17. Dill mustard (bought)
  18. Pepperoni (bought)
  19. Little tomatoes (bought)
  20. Baby carrots
  21. Cucumber
  22. Ranch (bought)
  23. Green Olives (bought)
  24. Black olive bruschetta spread (bought)
  25. Claussen pickles (bought)
  26. Sweet pickles (bought)
  27. Pickled okra (bought)
  28. Sun dried tomato Hummus (ingredients bought)
  29. 3 aldi signature things (pick out next week)
  30. Aldi
  31. Aldi
  32. Fresh Pretzels (Hubs make)
  33. Pretzel cheese sauce (ingredients bought)
  34. Fresh bread ( make)
  35. Plum jam
  36. Almonds (bought)
  37. Cashews (bought)
  38. Honey mustard (ingredients bought)
  39. Bugles (bought)
  40. Spicy chips (bought)
  41. Nut bars (bought)
  42. Deviled eggs (mom)

It will just be the 4 of us. We will probably get takeout for Christmas Eve.

Christmas morning will be brunch. Spiral ham, rolls, fruit, cinnamon roll french toast, and a quiche.

For dinner, I will heat up pre mixed Alpo (burger, sausage, velveeta, cooked and mix and put on baguette slices). Plus buffalo chicken dip, any leftovers, and a veggie tray.

Desserts will be cookies, fudge, and a chocolate cake if DS makes "his" cake. It's a Hershey cake he chose to make for his bday one year and he mentioned making one.

So our holiday (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day) changed this week.. We were planning to spend that time at grandparents (her side) and parents (my side) for all those days. Now we have to stay home together by ourselves. She was diagnosed with Covid Tuesday, so we're both quarantined for 10 days at the minimum. Will be the first time in 45 years for me and 38 years for her that we won't be spending holidays with our families.

So our menu is going to be....
Christmas Eve
boxed lasagna and garlic bread. Also making either peanut butter cookies or strawberry cake;

Christmas Day
boxed meat loaf and mashed potatoes with rolls and leftover desert

CHRISTMAS EVE 2020 Wigilia

Appetizer @ 5PM – Aldi Garlic & Basil Cheese, Homemade Pickles, Olives & Crackers

Dinner@6PM- Right When the 1st Star Appears…:_
Ted/Marsha KT/John Adalynn/Nathan/Roman Cass Bonnie Chuck
Table Count 10 + 1 Extra = 11
Menu Must Always Be An Odd Number Of Dishes - Meatless!
White Table Cloth, Manger W/Straw, Bible & Wedding Candle
Set Table for Guest Count + An Extra Place Setting…To Remember…
Bible On The Table – Addy Reads - KT Or Nathaniel Next Year
Wine Toast – Asti & Sparkling Juice
“A Toast…To New Friends We Made, To Old Friends We Lost, And To A Great New Generation, NOS-TROV-YA & Merry Christmas Visholay Swvant”

Oplatek – Does Not Count As A Course

Fried Breaded Pollock W/ Tartar Sauce
Fish Sticks
Baked Cod W/Butter, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice & Kosher Salt
Cold Shrimp W/Cocktail Sauce
Homemade Haluski
Homemade Pierogi’s – 12 Sauerkraut W/Melted Butter & Onions
Homemade Pierogi’s – 12 Button Mushroom W/Melted Butter & Onions
Homemade Pierogi’s - 24 Potato & Cheese W/Melted Butter
(Sautéed Onions & Butter - Crock Pot – (Does Not Count As a Course)
Homemade Raisin Bread With Butter - (Does Not Count As a Course)
Sauerkraut, Mushrooms & Onions – Crock Pot
French Fries W/ Malt Vinegar & Ketchup
Raub’s Cole Slaw
Dessert -Home Grown Strawberries W/Homemade Pound Cake & Cool Whip
Apple Pie Crisp W/Ice Cream

My Americanized version of a Polish Christmas eve...No duck blood soup or pickled herring!

right its 7pm here on Christmas Day and I'm back with photos.

Breakfast - Eggs Benedict
2 slices of toast, home cooked ham, spinach leaves, 2 poached eggs and store bought hollandaise sauce. I know how to make Hollandaise from scratch but for such a small amount its not worth it. The store bought one is a high end fresh one, not a powder.
eggs.jpg

Lunch / Starter - Cheesy Mushroom Dip with Nachos
I made this from scratch, its mushrooms, with white wine, heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese, with grated mature white cheddar ontop.
mushroom.jpg

Dinner
We had the usual turkey and ham, mashed potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash, roast Brussel sprouts, gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce.

Dessert
Homemade Mini Chocolate Mousse Cakes with Homemade Chocolate Sauce.
I made a chocolate cake batter from scratch and cooked it in muffin tins. When they were cool I cut them in half and put a high end store bought chocolate mouuse in the centres. Then I made chocolate sauce Lindt milk chocolate bar and heavy cream.

cooling sponges.jpg
mousse.jpg
dessert.jpg

Christmas Eve - this is our big day. We will go to my grandmas and have pasteles, pernil (roast pork), arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas), coquito (coconut rum drink) and arroz con Dulce (sweet rice pudding dessert). Then we will probably stop at my brothers house where my SIL makes a full soul food spread (she’s an amazing cook). We then open gifts at midnight.

Christmas Day - This is our rest day. I’ll probably make a quiche and DD14 (who has really gotten into cooking) will maybe her buttermilk pancakes. We will stop at my grandmas around lunch and have the leftovers from Xmas eve. I’ll make a charcuterie board for the evening. My SO suggested a lasagna but I don’t think we will be hungry for a full meal.

NYE - we will have traditional Puerto Rican party food. Rice, roast pork, potato salad, plantains, macaroni salad, green banana salad with gizzards, bacalao salad and mini sized fritangas (fried snacks/apps).

New Years Day - it’s usually Some kind of soup for the hangover. Lol. Everyone usually puts money together and MIL makes an oxtail soup and everyone goes to her house but that’s not happening this year. I won’t attempt to make that soup myself so Chinese food it is.

I made pasteles for the first time this Christmas! Do you have a recipe for green banana salad that you like? I have a ton of green bananas left over from the pasteles but I've never made that recipe, my aunt always made that dish every year. And I'm making a quiche today too! So many eggs left over even after making pumpkin pie.

I made pasteles for the first time this Christmas! Do you have a recipe for green banana salad that you like? I have a ton of green bananas left over from the pasteles but I've never made that recipe, my aunt always made that dish every year. And I'm making a quiche today too! So many eggs left over even after making pumpkin pie.

I don’t have a personal recipe (learned freestyle from my grandma) but this recipe looks pretty good. Instead of capers I use regular Spanish olives and chop them up and use red onion instead of regular yellow onion. It also is best if made the day before.

some more updates

monti cristo.jpg

I made a Monti Cristo sandwich with the left over turkey and ham. The dipping sauce is hollandaise sauce

mince pies.jpg

Everyone always asks about Mince Pies we have in UK / Ireland. These are the ones I bought this year. They are individual pastry pies filled with a sweet currents and raisins and dried fruit filling.

mince pie.jpg

I warm them slightly and serve with custard and whipped dairy cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter