Social distancing on planes?

I would love for this to become the permanent norm. I wouldn't mind paying 30% more to not have to be squished in or next to someone who is in the middle seat.
We usually buy first class when fly8ng from the DC area to the West Coast. It’s generally 2x the cost of coach, sometimes 2.5x. Worth every penny.

On our flight home from wDW in early March, before the virus panic officially hit, we didn't have anyone in the middle seat and the plane was definitely about 1/2 full. The plane was packed on the flight to Florida. So Delta must have been taking it seriously early on.

We usually buy first class when fly8ng from the DC area to the West Coast. It’s generally 2x the cost of coach, sometimes 2.5x. Worth every penny.
Yes, I always try to fly first when we're on a legacy carrier. The more reasonable first class fares in recent years make that doable for us. But none of those carriers fly nonstop from our hometown to Orlando, so for that route we stick with JetBlue & just pay a little more to sit up fromt. No way to block that middle seat, though. I with there were.

Yes, I always try to fly first when we're on a legacy carrier. The more reasonable first class fares in recent years make that doable for us. But none of those carriers fly nonstop from our hometown to Orlando, so for that route we stick with JetBlue & just pay a little more to sit up fromt. No way to block that middle seat, though. I wish there were. I have a health condition that makes the aisle seat important to me, and my son is an aviation-lover who is cares a lot about being able to look out of the window during the flight, so neither of us take the middle. Someone else always does, but oh well.

One trick we do - if first class is to pricey, we buy a extra seat, if we are going to be on a plane with 3 seats to a row. Not exactly first class, but the extra elbow room is nice. We decided to start doing this after our first flight overseas.

One trick we do - if first class is to pricey, we buy a extra seat, if we are going to be on a plane with 3 seats to a row. Not exactly first class, but the extra elbow room is nice. We decided to start doing this after our first flight overseas.
I didn't even know that was allowed. I wonder what check-in, etc., is like if you buy two seats...Thanks for the heads-up.

Our cruise line lets us do it...they book us a third seat, I *think* it's something along the lines of booking it in one of our names with a X or something added? Honestly, I can't recall - but they do it. Something along the same lines as what they do when a person of size needs to book two seats.

Flew home to Florida yesterday on Southwest. There were only 4 passengers on the flight. My wife jumped the line as she had a number two higher than mine but, cut in front of me. Plenty of room to distance from the others. Flight attendants did not allow anyone to sit in the first three rows.

For most airlines, a person of size is required to book 2 seats so it's definitely do-able.

Yup, that's basically what we do. I'm only 5' tall, but my husband is 6'4", and he likes his elbow room! Anyone can book a third, don't have to be a person of size.

Wouldn't it be fabulous if planes removed rows, creating more leg room and left it that way?
Wil file that under ‘be careful what you wish for’

Flight prices would have to rise dramatically for the airlines to remain solvent (among other things such as less flights offered, etc) to rates that would price it out of reach for many.

Even if you are in 1st class, the masses in steerage :) would have to do that slow march past you. Haha perhaps they will move 1st class to the rear of the plane

I think it depends on the product. If you are talking about a great product like JetBlue's Mint class I absolutely agree it is worth 2x coach. It is one of the best domestic first class products. On the other hand our family usually flies Alaska whose first class product is a joke and not even worth 1.5x coach. On American, Delta, and United it is harder to generalize as the quality of the first class product is airplane dependent.

For most airlines, a person of size is required to book 2 seats so it's definitely do-able.
Still, check with your airline first, for its specific policies/instructions. You don't want the airline to give that seat to a standby passenger when your extra person doesn't check in.

Once testing is more available, I'd be open to having COVID testing required say a week prior to the flight, with the ticket refundable if you test positive. Sure, you could contract the disease after you have been tested and before you fly, but now that we are on the downside of the curve that will be more and more unlikely.

Wil file that under ‘be careful what you wish for’

Flight prices would have to rise dramatically for the airlines to remain solvent (among other things such as less flights offered, etc) to rates that would price it out of reach for many.

Even if you are in 1st class, the masses in steerage :) would have to do that slow march past you. Haha perhaps they will move 1st class to the rear of the plane
I wish they’d Board from Rear and Front and Anyone with a carry on that has to go above, should board last... dreaming.

I wish they’d Board from Rear and Front and Anyone with a carry on that has to go above, should board last... dreaming.
Myth busters tested this, very interesting, however they found it's no more/less efficient than current boarding. I do think your bag should go above your head! Also a family section would be wonderful (in the back of the plane of course ):rolleyes1

Still, check with your airline first, for its specific policies/instructions. You don't want the airline to give that seat to a standby passenger when your extra person doesn't check in.
you check the third seat in, just as you do your "regular" seat.

Then the headcount doesn't match the checked-in passenger count.

Look, at least some airlines do have specific, published processes. Southwest does. Delta does. So, again, check with your airline.

I would love for this to become the permanent norm. I wouldn't mind paying 30% more to not have to be squished in or next to someone who is in the middle seat.

Air New Zealand have been doing this with their SkyCouch for a while. Buy two seats, pay a modest premium to get the third. And the foot rests flip up too to make a lovely comfy space..

DH and I love to travel, and flying is just part of it... Everyone has to take personal responsibility for one's own self to stay safe, and take precautions...

We too got the letter from Delta, for our upcoming flight to Japan in November...

We are planning on tons of hand soap, hand sanitizer, bleach wipes and we are both huge hand washing freaks... We have always done this when we travel, even if we are going to see family and friends... As well we will be taking mask and gloves with us...and are planning on wearing a mask on the plane, airport, or where it is called for...

I hate to touch the bins in the airport, as well they need to cleaned/disinfected/sterilize

I think that the airlines need to come up with some type of cleaning procedure across the board... to ensure that the whole plane is cleaned / disinfected/ sterilized after each stop...including tray tables, arm rest, seat back, window, and the restrooms... instead of what happens now, sorta picking up, and refilling the restrooms...

I would not be apposed to having my temp. taken before entering the airport... even again before boarding if this would help...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter