Solo activities for a 14 yr old? (Feb 2022)

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
My daughter and I are frequent WDW visitors but in February my husband is coming with us for the first time in years (last visit in my profile pic from 5 yrs ago). It's likely that DH will propose a date night (which doesn't have to happen at night) at some point during his part of our trip (4 nights, DD and I are staying longer). I'm beginning to brainstorm things DD (will be 14) could do by herself besides hang out in the room on electronics.

However, she's far more capable than she thinks she is. She's very mature for her age and used to interacting with adults, but she's an introvert, tends to be anxious about new experiences, and is not terribly bold about asking for attention from cast members. Something she has a ticket to (or at least a designated start time) would probably go over better than something she to navigate that might be interpreted by her as "imposing" on anyone else. Unfortunately, it looks like most organized activities require a parent to participate along with teens. Is there something I'm missing?

This will be one of the first trips she's officially allowed to enter the parks solo, though she's looked old enough for some time and no one ever questioned her when she has gone through the turnstiles without me (usually because I was stuck in bag check, which is no longer as much of an issue). But I'm not sure going to the parks solo will be something she's excited about.

Other ideas? We'll be at Animal Kingdom Lodge, btw.

DS 14 would not be happy by himself and he is very mature and outgoing. Maybe give her a quest in a park. Molly on all ears (YouTube) does this all the time. Ie: try to ride every ride in magic kingdom, ride a roller coaster in each park, whatever, be inventive. It may make it exciting for her. Maybe she would be happy at the pool (if warm enough). My other suggestion would be to allow her to bring a friend on the trip. When our kids became teens we did this often. It would free you and DH up a little over his entire stay and give her the freedom. I always felt better with 2 together especially at a young teen age. Even though DS is mature and 6’1” I still would worry and probably not enjoy myself

I might let them explore if I was also kinda nearby and cell phone and know where First Aid/ lost parents location is... For instance enjoy my evening people watching on Main Street while they go to an attraction and come back and then another activity , etc....
You probably don’t want a dinner date at Tony’s
I just saw you are at AK . Sorry I’m not very helpful

Last edited:
If you and DH are having a date day/ night at your resort; give her something there to do. If you all are going into a park, go in together, and leave together, but split up while there. I second someone else saying, let her bring a friend along! Safety in numbers, I was a 15 year old at Disney while my mom and aunt went off on their own. I had a not great experience with a 20 some male not leaving me alone while waiting for a bus to go back to our resort at MK. There weren't any CMs around. After that experience, zero way will I leave it to chance with my kids. Your DD will be safe in the parks and at the resort any main areas. Just my experience, for what it's worth. Hope you all have a magical trip!

What about looking at what is going on at the resort that night? With the campfire activities and the movies on the lawn that could be something for her to do if she doesn't want to go to the park alone? I know my son would be thrilled to have some time alone and of course play on his electronics. He could take himself out to dinner or even order room service. He likes to feel grown up :)

My son is 14 and was thrilled to have the room to himself. I came up with all these things he could do but he wanted to order food watch tv and catch up with friends online.
Also you never know what friends they will make at the pool etc.

There is (currently suspended) a Starlight nighttime safari at Animal Kingdom Lodge that moght interest her. If you have a savannah view, you can bring some night vision goggles and see how many animals she can spot. I had heard that you may be able to request a pair of night vision goggles at guest services, but not tried it myself. AKL may also have the campfire activities and movies under the stars available by next year. Or there’s always electronics….

My 14 year old wouldn’t want to do anything but stay in room. I wouldnt do a date night personally as I prefer family time but if I was I’d just leave him in room and offer to let him get a move etc.

Is she into exploring? She might enjoy doing a nonalcoholic version of the monorail pub crawl, just checking out the different resorts and having a fun beverage at some or all of them. You could even give her some kind of scavenger hunt--things to find and photograph at each stop. She could be as social or as introverted as she felt like that night, no need to "impose" on anyone if she wanted to keep to herself.

The Disney play app has some really fun activities in Galaxy's Edge. That would keep her busy for a couple of hours. Most 14 year olds are more capable then we, and they think.

I think it would work best if she wanted to watch a movie in your room. I don't consider it a good idea to let a young teen walk around on their own no matter where you go on vacation. Perhaps your husband should wait on that 'date night' until you are back home.

My daughter and I are frequent WDW visitors but in February my husband is coming with us for the first time in years (last visit in my profile pic from 5 yrs ago). It's likely that DH will propose a date night (which doesn't have to happen at night) at some point during his part of our trip (4 nights, DD and I are staying longer). I'm beginning to brainstorm things DD (will be 14) could do by herself besides hang out in the room on electronics.

However, she's far more capable than she thinks she is. She's very mature for her age and used to interacting with adults, but she's an introvert, tends to be anxious about new experiences, and is not terribly bold about asking for attention from cast members. Something she has a ticket to (or at least a designated start time) would probably go over better than something she to navigate that might be interpreted by her as "imposing" on anyone else. Unfortunately, it looks like most organized activities require a parent to participate along with teens. Is there something I'm missing?

This will be one of the first trips she's officially allowed to enter the parks solo, though she's looked old enough for some time and no one ever questioned her when she has gone through the turnstiles without me (usually because I was stuck in bag check, which is no longer as much of an issue). But I'm not sure going to the parks solo will be something she's excited about.

As

Is she into exploring? She might enjoy doing a nonalcoholic version of the monorail pub crawl, just checking out the different resorts and having a fun beverage at some or all of them. You could even give her some kind of scavenger hunt--things to find and photograph at each stop. She could be as social or as introverted as she felt like that night, no need to "impose" on anyone if she wanted to keep to herself.
This seems like the perfect way to convince me to not allow my child wander around alone.

You know your kid best. DS started breaking off from us in the parks around 14 to do stuff on his own. I’m not sure if he would’ve felt comfortable doing any transport alone? Never tried back then. Maybe though.

You’re staying at AKL which has so much to offer right there. Maybe suggest different things available. I’d have recommended for DS walk the animal trails, check out the store, getting food at Mara maybe to bring back to the room and anything else there that interested him. Then let them ultimately decide when the time comes. If she’s comfortable it’s a nice experience to spread her wings a bit in a relatively very safe space. It could be fun for her to have a budget to shop and eat and explore. Good prep for navigating the world. She might enjoy the ‘adulting’ aspect. Pushing our comfort zone isn’t always bad and it can help build confidence. If she’s not up for it that day, plan B hanging in the room isn’t horrible either. No biggy, there’s always next time. I don’t see anything wrong considering something like this. It’s also fine to balance all of your families needs, some may even say healthy. These kind of skills need to be developed and within reason WDW offers a pretty safe environment.

Maybe the replacement for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom will be available by February?
There is still "A Pirate's Adventures" scavenger hunt available at MK - Disney site says that each of the 5 scavenger hunts take about 20 minutes. So that could eat up a couple hours - especially if date night was at the Contemporary Resort or other monorail resort with easy access to MK.
My older teens enjoyed the Wilderness Explorers activity at AK, but we did it as a group because we loved the movie - doubt they would do it solo. Same thing about the scavenger hunt/game options that Epcot has had - they were based on shows we had loved as a family but doubt they would have done these solo.

Honestly, my DD always wants alone time in the room to recharge her introvert self whether we had a date night or not. This has been true since her mid-teens and continues to this day. It's her vacation too, so if a few evenings of downtime is what she wants; we're cool with that.
(And sometimes I do get a date night those evenings ;) )

One thought I have on this is that this might be a perfect time to build some confidence in these skills. I was exactly like this as a 14 year old and only got better through practice. I'd recommend talking through ways with her that might be more or less comfortable when getting the attention of an adult in authority and then coming up with a "script" for how to engage in a way that feels do-able for her. Or a mantra of some sort (i.e. "this job is is held by a person who WANTS to help me") Then allow for practice in using the script while she's still in her comfort zones before the trip. And help her with her feelings about it after the practices - did she feel like a burden? Was the adult mean to her? Could she practice mindfulness in those moments to help deal with being uncomfortable? I know that's a LOT for a couple of hours at a WDW park on her own, but these skills will be really good for her in other aspects of life as well!

I had a not great experience with a 20 some male not leaving me alone while waiting for a bus to go back to our resort at MK. There weren't any CMs around. After that experience, zero way will I leave it to chance with my kids. Your DD will be safe in the parks and at the resort any main areas. Just my experience, for what it's worth. Hope you all have a magical trip!

Scary... I second the recommendations that she stay somewhere and not try to do transportation by herself, and bonus if you can walk her there and meet her afterwards. I assume she has a phone?

Could you also say more about why you prefer an activity outside of the rooms rather than chilling with electronics? That might help us to help you. Especially if the recommendations are to go use electronics in the park, LOL.

And, one final thing - if she does stay in the room by herself, make sure she puts the chain on the door after you leave so no one walks in on her for a security check while you're gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter