• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo and NOT Looking for Travel Friends, Meet-ups or Dates

I totally would love to do a solo trip. As a mom with 4 of my kids still in the house I am lucky to go anywhere alone. Last year I drove cross country to pick up my son from college. 2 days in the car completely alone, it was heaven. I can't even begin to think how amazing it would be to go to Disney alone. I love my family but it would be incredible to do what I wanted.

So nope, you aren't weird. You are self confident and completely okay being alone, there is nothing wrong with that.

I have been with my partner for the past 18 years and we have been married for 9 years. My partner isn't interested in travelling at all. We did go to WDW 18 years ago and we have been to Disneyland Paris for a day, however he is not interested in going back to WDW. After years of me begging to go back to WDW, I have given up and booked a short trip there as part of a longer trip to the States.

I will be on my own and other than eating in restaurants, I am actually looking forward to it.

Alex

Not at all!! That's the main reason that I take solo trips, and I've been CRAVING one recently!!
Truthfully, a solo trip usually involves at least 30 mins of meeting up with someone else, but it's usually all me time!

I've never had good luck with attempting to go there with someone else. My wife did go many times, but, she never looked like she was enjoying herself. Made Grumpy Cat look like he was smiling. After our divorce, I dated a few ladies and took one to WDW, but, she didn't like doing all the walking and didn't like the rides. So the next time I went she said she wanted to go again. I asked, but, last time you didn't want to do anything. She replied that she still didn't want to go to the parks but she would just stay in the room and I could go. I responded that I didn't see how that would be much fun for me to always have to be thinking that you were bored and just sitting in a room (not an outdoors person). So no, if you don't want to be involved then I will go solo. Then my last attempt with a different lady, she was really excited about going, then, thankfully just the day before I was going to make plane reservations, she told me that she really hated flying. So I offered it as a road trip. Then she got all excited and decided that would be good. Four days before we were supposed to leave she decided that she couldn't find anyone to take care of her dog and two cats. (she had told me that was all arranged). I just said, you know what... you don't really want to go so, let's just forget it. She said, I don't want to deprive you of the trip. I said... you won't because I am going anyway. She got upset and that was pretty much the end of the relationship.

It isn't all that easy to find someone with the same desire for things that you have. If you find one... don't let them go. Now I go almost exclusively solo. I do sometimes find things that I wish I could share with someone, but, that feeling passes quickly and I go back to riding whatever I want as often as I want, eating what and when I want, getting to and leaving the park on my timetable.

Last edited:

I just said, you know what... you don't really want to go so, let's just forget it. She said, I don't want to deprive you of the trip. I said... you won't because I am going anyway. She got upset and that was pretty much the end of the relationship.

I know I probably shouldn't have laughed...but that's pretty funny that you called her on her bluff.

I know I probably shouldn't have laughed...but that's pretty funny that you called her on her bluff.
Actually, it worked out well for me. I spent two glorious weeks out of the cold and snow in Vermont. I went to WDW, Universal, wandered around from east coast to west coast, took a couple of days and drove through the Keys to Key West and took one of my favorite photographs, (see below) came back and stayed a couple of days in Myrtle Beach walking the beach and playing golf. Had a great time.

Sunset in Key West....

nv03^039.jpg

I am doing my first solo trip at the end of January and I.CANNOT.WAIT. My Mom keeps suggesting 800 different people I should consider inviting so I am not "lonely" and I keep telling her that the solo thing is ON PURPOSE! LOL. I am happily married with two kids (7 and 5). I take them, and I realize that Disney is my happy place and I want to do this MY WAY without listening to kids whine (or husband whine). I literally cannot wait and I would never be interested in a meet-up. Totally defeats the purpose for me!

I go on solo trips all the time to wherever I want. It terrifies my mother and some of my friends, but I always have the best time. Some places I go, I meet up with friends, sometimes I don't and end up randomly meeting the most interesting people. I have a knack for "collecting" older people who like to keep in touch via email and live vicariously through my adventures. Disney is, hands down, one of my favorite places to travel solo!

I'm planning my first visit to WDW in over 30 years. The last time I went was with my family around 1985 (Epcot was still new!). I'm turning 50 this year and decided I was long overdue for a trip there.
I did initially put out a request to my Facebook friends to see if anyone might be interested in going with me (probably September), but those so inclined either go with their families, just got back from trips, or have other things going on. I was initially reluctant to go alone (it seems something you want to share with others), but several encouraged me to go alone--that they'd done so at some point and still had a great time because of that freedom. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea now--that I'll have the ability to just do my own thing and really satisfy this driving urge to have a REAL vacation. I want to indulge my interests in kitschy lounges with tropical drinks and loiter at the Polynesian! I want to spend a day at the water parks and ride the lazy rivers for hours! I want to spur-of-the-moment decide to do some shopping or hop into a line without having to ask or worry about whether my companion is having fun, too.

So far, really, the only Cons that I'm finding are that I can't split the lodging fees, and it'd be nice to have conversation during a table service/signature meal or in a lounge. Then again, I've never been shy about just striking up a conversation with people in line or on the bus, etc., so that may not even be an issue, either. And if it is, that's okay, too--I also love to people-watch.

At this point, I'm not even asking anymore if anyone wants to join me--I think I might prefer it this way. :)

Last edited:
I'm planning my first visit to WDW in over 30 years. The last time I went was with my family around 1985 (Epcot was still new!). I'm turning 50 this year and decided I was long overdue for a trip there.
I did initially put out a request to my Facebook friends to see if anyone might be interested in going with me (probably September), but those so inclined either go with their families, just got back from trips, or have other things going on. I was initially reluctant to go alone (it seems something you want to share with others), but several encouraged me to go alone--that they'd done so at some point and still had a great time because of that freedom. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea now--that I'll have the ability to just do my own thing and really satisfy this driving urge to have a REAL vacation. I want to indulge my interests in kitschy lounges with tropical drinks and loiter at the Polynesian! I want to spend a day at the water parks and ride the lazy rivers for hours! I want to spur-of-the-moment decide to do some shopping or hop into a line without having to ask or worry about whether my companion is having fun, too.

So far, really, the only Cons that I'm finding are that I can't split the lodging fees, and it'd be nice to have conversation during a table service/signature meal or in a lounge.
Then again, I've never been shy about just striking up a conversation with people in line or on the bus, etc., so that may not even be an issue, either. And if it is, that's okay, too--I also love to people-watch.
At this point, I'm not even asking anymore if anyone wants to join me--I think I might prefer it this way. :)

Sounds like you will do just fine as long as you can live without having to split the lodging fees. Enjoy celebrating your 50th!!!

I've gone solo before and always felt like if a friend in the area can meet up great! If not great! I love going solo because you can travel at your own speed and if you want to wait 2 hours for a ride no one is there to complain about the wait.

Exactly! I love going to WDW solo. At times (Marathon Weekend), I will meet up with friends - or I've got some friends in the area so if we can work out meeting up that's cool too - but I'm just as content doing it all solo!!

Ditto cruising. And I will even request a solo table - and if I don't get assigned one I have no issues asking if I can be changed to one. The last Disney cruise I did, I had to do that after the first night (didn't bother going to check at the place where dining changes were being made - won't make that mistake again!) - I got assigned to a table with two other solos (it really felt like a solo dump table) who while THEY seemed to have a lot in common, I was pretty much the exact opposite on everything but loving Disney, and I just wasn't comfortable with them. I talked with the dining room manager two nights later (I had Palo the next night) and she was able to get me moved to a table all to myself and everything was awesome after that! I'm hoping next time that I don't have to deal with changes since now being gluten-free I can request the table alone due to allergies. THAT seems to be a much better way around it if you legit have allergies because Disney is so wary of cross-contamination issues. They still won't guarantee it, but it does seem to elevate the request if you are legit allergic/sensitive to a food. (I will caution against just saying that just to improve the odds because once an allergy/sensitivity is on your record everything has to go through the head waiter for your section and your choices will be limited.)

Exactly! I love going to WDW solo. At times (Marathon Weekend), I will meet up with friends - or I've got some friends in the area so if we can work out meeting up that's cool too - but I'm just as content doing it all solo!!

Ditto cruising. And I will even request a solo table - and if I don't get assigned one I have no issues asking if I can be changed to one. The last Disney cruise I did, I had to do that after the first night (didn't bother going to check at the place where dining changes were being made - won't make that mistake again!) - I got assigned to a table with two other solos (it really felt like a solo dump table) who while THEY seemed to have a lot in common, I was pretty much the exact opposite on everything but loving Disney, and I just wasn't comfortable with them. I talked with the dining room manager two nights later (I had Palo the next night) and she was able to get me moved to a table all to myself and everything was awesome after that! I'm hoping next time that I don't have to deal with changes since now being gluten-free I can request the table alone due to allergies. THAT seems to be a much better way around it if you legit have allergies because Disney is so wary of cross-contamination issues. They still won't guarantee it, but it does seem to elevate the request if you are legit allergic/sensitive to a food. (I will caution against just saying that just to improve the odds because once an allergy/sensitivity is on your record everything has to go through the head waiter for your section and your choices will be limited.)

I've done 11 solo cruises and with the exception of my first Disney Cruise I have always requested my own table and received it. I have never mentioned anything about food allergies but hey whatever works for you use it.

I've done 11 solo cruises and with the exception of my first Disney Cruise I have always requested my own table and received it. I have never mentioned anything about food allergies but hey whatever works for you use it.

Well, I definitely requested it without any allergy requests (it's a newly discovered issue) the last time and didn't get it. So since I added GF onto my upcoming cruise with my parents, the agent asked if I wanted to request a private table because of it. So I figure it can't hurt. :)

Doing my first SOLO trip in October, was going to go this past December but life got in the way. I am an introvert so the idea of meeting up with people I do not know for a meet and greet, dinner, etc. really gives me anxiety. :)
I have never been on a 100% solo trip anywhere before. I go on bus tours by myself with a local tour company but the only time I am really alone is when I am in the room or if I opt to do something different than the group.
I am just looking forward to 5 nights/6 days of relaxing and not having to deal with what other people expect me to do or not do. I may add on a few days at the end to visit some family in the area and to stop in Atlanta to visit a cousin..but that is a very strong Maybe.... :)

Doing my first SOLO trip in October, was going to go this past December but life got in the way. I am an introvert so the idea of meeting up with people I do not know for a meet and greet, dinner, etc. really gives me anxiety. :)
I have never been on a 100% solo trip anywhere before. I go on bus tours by myself with a local tour company but the only time I am really alone is when I am in the room or if I opt to do something different than the group.
I am just looking forward to 5 nights/6 days of relaxing and not having to deal with what other people expect me to do or not do. I may add on a few days at the end to visit some family in the area and to stop in Atlanta to visit a cousin..but that is a very strong Maybe.... :)

Solo trips are the best and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip in October. Have a great time planning your solo trip (I don't know about you but I enjoy planning and finalizing my vacation details).

I love planning!! It isn't until October and I pretty much have everything almost decided. Of course have to wait for official park hours to make some final adjustments!! LOL :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter