• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo day and family trip... two, two, two reports in ONE!

Definitely. Alas he's going to have to work from home tomorrow...unless we lived right there across the street (and there is a luxury apt/condo building right there) I can't even imagine how anyone will get in. Jinkies!

Ruh roh, I'm hearing the first person having difficulties getting up the semi-main (though only one lane each way) street outside our balcony. Except for maybe half an hour since we've been up (and since we celebrated Yule today, we've been up since excited-boy woke us up and dragged us out of bed!) it's snowed All Day Long.

Definitely. Alas he's going to have to work from home tomorrow...unless we lived right there across the street (and there is a luxury apt/condo building right there) I can't even imagine how anyone will get in. Jinkies!

Ruh roh, I'm hearing the first person having difficulties getting up the semi-main (though only one lane each way) street outside our balcony. Except for maybe half an hour since we've been up (and since we celebrated Yule today, we've been up since excited-boy woke us up and dragged us out of bed!) it's snowed All Day Long.

How nice for you to have him there tomorrow and not having to worry about him. I love kids this time of year it's so exciting for them. Even my 12 year oold son gets excited for everything still. I hope he stays that way. My oh so sophisticated 14 and 15 year old daughters acted so ho hum about decorating the tree. And once it got started they were like little girls.:goodvibes

Well I guess ONE guy made it in to work today. And it was the guy Robert was working for! They swapped days so R could have an extra day for DLR and the guy could have an extra day with his family this week, but they called and begged him, and he lives close to the train up a few towns north, AND has chains on his car, so he could get to the station. Hubby *maybe* could have gotten there but it would have been miserably difficult to walk on the snow, since the snow had a layer of ice underneath yesterday, and it kept snowing after we got home from our long walk.

But no one from Seattle or the surrounding communities could get into the department today. Zoiks!

I guess Robert and Eamon did well today! They let me sleep in, but they knew that they were to get me up if E got into R's stuff or was too difficult. I like sleeping in. I like sleeping. Just not between midnight and 2; being awake is much more fun then. Hmm.

MIL's TV went kablooey today. Her bedroom one, a very small TV. We personally don't believe in having a TV in our bedroom, but she's a widow and it's cold in her place so I understand how upsetting it was for her. She called for R's advice, and I ended up offering to go in on it with her, so she could get a Toshiba instead of Dynex (they got good ratings on cnet, but we'd never heard of them and MIL balked big time at the unknown brand). Ordered it through my rewards program, and R and E went off to pick it up and take it to MIL. And I had a photobook for MIL. So even though I don't speak to her (she's MEAN) I still take care of her. And as long as she's nice to Robert and Eamon, and doesn't get on R's case about anything while E is there, I'll keep on taking care of her from afar.

So I don't get my own thread locked up b/c I'm posting but not continuing, I'll give you this. What ride did E finally get so excited about that he kept trying to leave us behind and just get to the front of the line?

ry%3D400

So I don't get my own thread locked up b/c I'm posting but not continuing, I'll give you this. What ride did E finally get so excited about that he kept trying to leave us behind and just get to the front of the line?

ry%3D400

What do you mean get your thread locked up??

That looks like SPACE MOUNTAIN to me!

Oh, I've seen the occasional trip report on the WDW side get locked and even deleted, when things got too chatty instead of being just about the trip. It's kinder and gentler on this side of things, but I didn't want to push it. :)

Any other guesses for the ride? :upsidedow

I'm gonna guess Soarin'.

Wow the weather sure is something up your way. We have had blustery up here in the bay area but nothing compared to your weather. My MIL and I are not the best of friends either. Hmm. Note to self be better MIL.

OK, I can't find my notes. Harumph. I have receipts and collected fast passes (never used one other than hubby with CA Screamin') but no notes.

So expect some retroactive updates in the future.

It was still Sunday, December 7th. We'd had breakfast at WWS after a few hours at DL. TSMM was experienced and enjoyed. And then, from my pictures, it seems we made our way over to Soarin!

DS had been very hesitant to ride this. I think it's because it's in the building, with no idea what is in there. But with the help of a Samantha Brown special along with telling him about the little boy I sat next to on my solo day, I convinced him that it's just a "sit there and FEEL like you're flying ride", and he said he would go on it. He did flip flop a couple times, but finally we were walking by and he said OK! Along with that, there was NO line.

So we went inside, and he just saw a line of people and the flying stuff on the walls, and he got excited. And kept trying to get in the pockets of the people in front of us, LOL. Not that he was putting his hand in their pockets, just that he was getting soooo close to them it was like he wanted to be with them instead of us.

He didn't recognize the voice of Patrick Warburton (or whatever his name is) even though he's seen the Buzz cartoon series and everything else (OK-for-kids) Patrick has been in. But he did enjoy the ride! He liked the smells. He tucked his legs up cross-legged, and didn't want to stick out his feet, but he did put his arms up when I did, to really get the feel of flying. He didn't seem scared at all, and he said he really liked it when we were done! Yay!

Well, I have a picture from that queue at 1:33, and then my next picture is at 4:59 pm in the hotel room. What were we doing there? Ayep, changing clothes and shoes, because we'd gone on Grizzly FIVE more times! I can't believe I'm forgetting those rides already!

I do know that this day, DS was wearing his Crocs, and it turns out his Nikes have a MUCH bigger sole than the Crocs, and with the Crocs it wasn't so obvious that he made the height. He had to stand there each time. Luckily he LIKES being measured and seems to think he has to be measured everywhere (at soarin' they didn't have ask but still he lined himself up with the stick).

Also this day, E got soaked. Early. And E wanted a poncho b/c he was cold. I thought I remembered that I had taken the ponchos back to the hotel at breakfast, but now I'm remembering that I had Robert's poncho from our '05 trip, and Robert managed to rip it when I said "pull it up a bit in the back so he can put the hood on", and R just pulled instead of gently helping DS pop up on the seat a moment and pull the poncho up. :rolleyes1

Anyway, I had to give up my poncho at one point, so we really all got sopping wet, but still, we LOVE Grizzly. Even if I get the name wrong sometimes (I seem to really want it to be Rapids not Run).

And because we were soaking we had to go back to the hotel to change.

Soon enough we were warm, dressed, and gone, because we got back to DCA in time for the parade! Actually we walked up there, realized the parade was almost there, and I decided I *had to* have a TSMM popcorn bucket. Of course they are the same cost with or without popcorn, so I tempted corn syrup fate by getting some. I got back just in time for the parade to start! The parade was spent with Robert taking pictures as I ate a ton of the popcorn. Robert had some too, and we managed to keep knowledge of it, or so we thought, from Eamon.

R and E had seen the parade on our May trip, but I missed almost all of it. E was tired and didn't enjoy it then.

But this time we liked it all. I'm amazed by those stilt walkers! And the people who swing around on stuff, yikes! How do they do that? While moving, and while moving on something that they could fall off of, and NOT onto nice cushy mats?

I was surprised at how dynamic the Incredibles were on their machines (I assume those are Segways underneath?). Still shots like this don't show the movement.

ry%3D400

Loved these guys. I'm still not sure if there are people inside of them or not, but it was cute watching a boy older than E have his mom get his Little Green Alien (or whatever they are called) hat so he could match them.

ry%3D400

Here's one of the gymnastic types I was talking about. Until now I hadn't realized how much it looked like Rex is biting her bottom! :rotfl: He has the bar in his mouth and she was swinging on that. When I snapped the shot I thought "I wonder if she thought about the fact that her bottom would be in trip reports online, when she got the job?"

ry%3D400

We were very glad that they weren't doing anything more watery than bubbles. Whew.

After the parade, if memory serves, E and I decided to go on TSMM again while hubby went on Screamin'. We had a 30 minute posted wait time, and I think hubby was able to go on Screamin' twice. E and I had lots of fun, we LOVE that ride! How can we have more than one Best Ride Ever? I don't know, but we do!

Robert had fun, but then... we got off the ride and out of the giftshop, and saw him looking sad, dejected, and like he was about to cry sitting on a bench outside.

What happened? What was wrong????

While re-reading I looked at the Incredibles shot, and remembered Mrs Incredible's butt pad. Whe E first met her last year, we were in awe of her bottom. And we couldn't tell if they'd chosen a particularly "stacked" Mrs Incredible, or if she was enhanced in some way.

Well, we still don't know about the one we met, but the one on the transporter/segway/scooty thing was having an issue with one side of her bottom, because there was a big football-pad shaped thing in the WRONG place under her tights. Ok that's making it sound like she was having a really weird Kotex moment, but I'm talking about padding for her hip/bottom area. :) The right side was perfect, you couldn't see where a pad might be, but the left side just looked wrong.

Poor Mrs Incredible!

Poor Mrs Incredible!

How funny though!

How cute that Eamon likes to be measured.

Don't leave us hanging! What was wrong with Robert?

I don't blame you about TSMM - it IS the best ride ever! I usually get beaten badly by whomever I am playing against, but one time I beat my friend, and the other night I got my highest score of 94,700 (which is good for ME since I have lousy hand-eye coordination) and the other night I beat the single rider next to me, so I felt a bit triumphant! Some of the little firing guns/devices work better than others - don't know if you have noticed that. Some of them have more 'give' on the string when you pull, and they don't snap back as quickly or as firmly as others, therefore affecting the ability to hit as many targets. And some of them snap back into place as they should and allow you to hit more targets. I definitely noticed differences in some of them.

We won't even get into my horrible scores on Buzz Lightyear - the highest score I have ever gotten on that was 15,000 and some change. Usually, I am hovering at a pitiful 3,000, 6,000 or 9,000! I just can't master that game, but I enjoy it. And when I try to spin the vehicle, I am doing it to improve MY score, but my friend asks why I am spinning the thing "the wrong way," meaning that it is not to HER advantage! I said to her, "You DO understand that we are competing, right? I am spinning to help MY game, not yours!!!"

I'm glad he doesn't mind being measured, because it shows he knows that he might not get on a ride he's already been on, if he squishes down or if he's borderline and goes on something jolting before, etc etc.

Well I found my notes and they weren't helpful. I'll keep winging it.

So I see big strong hubby on the bench, near to tears. What has happened? He said "I feel so stupid", and told me that while on Screamin' the second time, he thought his lanyard was in danger, but then he figured that it was stuck under the harness and would be fine. But just as they started the loop, he felt it tug, and then the pouch went flying past his face.

His pouch, containing his and Eamon's APs.

:scared:

So we spent the next who-knows-how-long seeking out the guest services people inside DCA, and she was really kind. After we waited for a large group to get some mysterious issue solved, she was ready to help us quickly. Told us that they search the tracks with flashlights every night, and turn things into lost and found. So if it's found it would be over there before the park opened the next morning. If they find it, although they'll destroy the card, they would mark it in the accounts so that R and E can get free replacements. If they do NOT find it, it's just considered lost, and we will get to pay the $20 replacement fee each.

For that night, as we were heading back over to DL, she gave them cards to use that night. And boom, we were done with the official AP stuff that night. Robert was still really upset, and still is actually. Even the knowledge that so many people lose things on Screamin' that they have a protocol for it isn't helping him feel less bad. I think it's that he had a strong feeling there would be a problem, but continued on anyway, without asking to have the harness reset, or holding on to the lanyard. I understand that, we have that feeling about a tooth accident Eamon had at only 6 months old and we KNEW he was getting too tired to sit in the highchair (he'd never sat in one before), and then the food came and we focused on that instead, and whammo, E's face hit the table and he lost a brand new tooth. But this is just an AP, just $40 if they aren't found (they were NOT found that night), and it's easily solved, unlike E's tooth and the problems he had with two teeth that came through shortly after that accident (they disintegrated and had to be pulled, which is why he has the gap toothed smile).

It took quite awhile to do all that, to talk R down from his ledge, so to speak, and to continue on with our happy evening.

My last picture of the Pixar Play Parade was taken around 5:42. Then there was TSMM and Screamin', then the time getting to Guest Service and the time there. I then have a totally black picture taken at 7:52.

Aha! I have now figured it out.

Yeah, this is the Not Pretty part. It's possible you guys will figure it out MUCH quicker than we did. I've given you some hints, and there's a total absence of something that you might have noticed, especially given how obnoxiously detailed I like to make my reports.

So we were having problems with E having "the wants". If you read a different post of mine, you know that Robert was in charge of money, and was having problems curbing his giving in to the wants, and I was being ignored, so the kid who wasn't supposed to get more than ONE souvenir and some pressed pennies had already charmed his way into a few "those aren't really souvenirs, no, he needs those" take-home-things along with the pressed pennies. It was driving me BATTY.

E was starting to talk about getting another build your own lightsaber, and I had told him many times that that wasn't going to happen. MAYBE it will happen during our visit to WDW, whenever that happens, but it was not going to happen at DLR for quite awhile, because it was just too big and bulky.

As we walked towards Tomorrowland, knowing that E had been in the stroller since the parade and we'd been munching behind him in crowded circumstances, I will still NEVER know how he knew to ask for some of the popcorn in the "Potato Head bucket". Kid's amazing. I don't know how he knew it was back there, let alone what was in it (we've never bought popcorn at DLR before. ever.) . He had a handful or so, and then dumped it on the ground accidentally. Whoopsie! In the past he would have been upset, but this time, as we moved it with our feet over towards the fence near Plaza Inn, he said that it would be for the birds. I remember that things were gearing up, yet again, for the parade, and we had to squish over and work fast so as not to be swept up ourselves in the "you can't stand here" pre-parade stuff.

So we decided to go on Star Tours. Which, of course, has no way out but into the "dump shop".

Now our flight to the Endor moon was quite exciting; but YIKES it was our pilot's first time, and he got us into all sorts of trouble! But we made it back safe and sound, despite almost hitting something at the very end, and that was good. We decided not to get on another starship, after all, trip insurance would pay us back since it was the pilot's fault we missed the moon entirely, and we decided to call it a day, in terms of space flight. E still loves the ride.

Then we hit Star Traders, and the fun began. Whining? Check. Yelling at us? Check. Stomping his feet? Check. Doing a new thing of crossing his arms in front of his chest and turning his back as we talk to him? Check check triple check.

I'm tempted to say "and that was just Robert!" and make it a joke, but it wasn't R and it wasn't funny.

We told him that he could choose ONE souvenir "tomorrow" after thinking about what he wanted. E decided to say that "tomorrow is an idiot!" over and over and over. Robert was getting angry. I was getting bewildered. Eamon was getting outta hand. E started to YELL about tomorrow being an idiot.

We took it outside. Where E proceeded to have the mother of all tantrums (though still nowhere near as bad as he used to have before we knew about corn syrup products...those were the great great grandfather of tantrums). Robert was getting really angry, and the look on his face was scary! I was worried about what passers-by were thinking about R's face and his intentions.

So I stepped in, because I'm quite often better with the tantrums, and I have long practice in smiling through them because my resting face is stern so my stern face is scary, and I like to NOT be scary, especially when already concerned about passers-by! Well of course that never sits right with Robert; he never quite gets it, in that moment, why I'm taking over, and gets insulted that I would even THINK anything bad about it, and here I'm going to say "blah blah blah", not to be disrespectful of Robert, but this happens each time it happens, and then later on, Robert admits that he was really angry, that he's sorry for looking scary, thanks me for taking over, I did such a good job, etc etc etc. Someday he's going to remember this right then, but for now, I'm just trying to ignore it.

So I stepped in, ignored Robert's protests, and held my 43 inch tall, 42 pounds, screeching passel of kiddo while he flailed. It seemed like it went on for.ever. We were sitting near the DVC kiosk across from Star Traders. Just like when I was still nursing him in public, I was so focused on him I didn't look at anyone walking by, but I imagine some nasty glares were thrown our way. Possibly some "poor thems" too. I like to think it was more "poor thems" with a smattering of "what a great job she's doing", but I don't know. I was focused on my kid.

I'll have to ask Robert or Eamon what I said that finally calmed him down. I really can't remember, but I remember being VERY proud of myself afterwards. I've remembered with the help of E. I reminded him that he loved Robert and didn't want to hurt him, and somehow that pulled him out of it. Turned things right around. We slowly figured out that on the NEXT day he could choose his souvenir, and he slowly agreed (note: he had agreed to this countless times before and during the trip!), and it ended up in a HUGE family hug that went on and on.

And of course in that time, we realized that it had been Way Too Long since we'd eaten, though we did have some popcorn, and depending on the popcorn's ingredients, that might have been part of the problem. But hunger was a definite problem.

We hadn't eaten since our late breakfast, and maybe a MoJo bar and a bit of water, and that popcorn. Those things were tricking ME, making me not think about my stomach, and might have tricked the guys' stomachs, but ultimately we needed real food.

Alas, when 3 people NEED food, that's a bad time to figure out WHAT food! In the role I've been taking on more and more since hubby's diabetes diagnosis, I've slowly realized that his orneriness when hungry isn't just orneriness, but a real problem and condition, and that any nasty mood swing needs to be ignored as NEEDS are met, I decided that Royal Street Veranda would be good, if the line weren't too long.

We got to Frontierland, where Eamon called a halt to the proceedings as he very very very much wanted to shoot the guns in that gallery thing. We had put him off off and more off on several trips with it, and frankly, even though it was NOT the time to wait to eat, I also didn't want to get screamed at again. So we did something they both like to do. I went off to the Rancho bathrooms, and discovered that there were NO lines inside Rancho. When I got back they were talking about running low on quarters, so I got $5 more at the machine, but when I turned back around they were gone! Of course, they tell the same story. They saw me, then turned around and I was gone.

We all found each other and I told them of my Rancho discovery, so we went in there asap. Had our usual, E having the bean/cheese burrito, and the adults sharing the no-meat Burrito Sonora. All was deeeelicious. E was freezing, but refused to sit near the heat lamp thing, so cuddled up next to me, which made eating difficult!

While cuddling and eating, E got really sentimental about being there at Disneyland. And insisted I take a picture of what was left of his food, to "remember the trip".

ry%3D400

The Disneyland tantrums. Oh I know them well. I have been on the receiving end of more then one of them in my time. It is the curse of DL. It's amazing how much more patient Mom's are as a general rule with them.

Tantrums, sigh...

Got a minor one yesterday because he got xmas money from his grandma, and we wanted to maximize the playmobil he would get (his fave toy other than lightsabers). So we ordered the bigger thing he wanted direct from playmobil (lowest price we could find) and then walked down to the downtown toy store for a few little things. He got a knight leader, 3 Roman legionnaires, and he'll get the pirate treasure chest AND the one-eyed pirate for his money, but if we'd just bought the chest he would have gotten the chest and maybe the knight leader and that's IT. But he's really peeved that the chest isn't here already (this was all only yesterday!), and yesterday let me know that he was VERY annoyed that we didn't come home with the chest.

He'll like it when it gets here and he has all the "guys" playing in it, but I just have to get through the next 7 business days or so.

I forgot the most important part of the food stuff.

That picture of the rice was taken at almost 9pm. We ate at 10:30am and shared a snack or two, but had eaten nothing else all day. Bad bad bad.

Food was paid for at 8:18. Rice picture was taken at 8:39.

Finished up dinner, got things re-organized, got DS in the stroller and all covered up since he was cold. Got out of Rancho (we did take the umbrella stroller into Rancho b/c it was SO quiet in there...normally we would have parked it outside the restaurant). Walked along the pathway.

We were thinking about going on Pirates before Fantasmic, and looked down at him to check with him, and he was...absolutely totally passed out. To the point where we both, at different times, checked to see if he was breathing, that's how asleep he was.

Okey dokey! There were tons of people already ready for Fantasmic, and it was getting close to being time for it, so we figured it was as good a time as any. We had NO idea where we would stand, and I never really got the concept of the secret good spot behind the bank of speakers.

So we were wandering along, and we noticed a big empty spot "inside" a roped off spot. We walked past and saw a CM, and I asked if that particular spot was a special spot, or if anyone was allowed to be there. He said it was for anyone if there was room! So we went back, asked the people inside the ropes if the empty spots were actually empty (but we didn't ask when the 3 o'clock parade was, LOL), they said YES, and so we ducked in there. Excellent!

We stood near a lovely family from BC, and it was fun to talk with them. They are HUGE fans of Fantasmic and were excited that we were seeing it for the first time.

And then it started. Good start, but then it got really really dark and scary. I wasn't really expecting that. We were VERY glad E was asleep (and he slept through ALL of Fantasmic, barely even moved) because he would have HATED it. And not that sort of "I hate it but I'll close my eyes" hatred, but "we have to go NOW hatred".

Hubby is telling me right now that along with it being too scary, it was TOO big and TOO extravagant. Too much, he said. I think I agree. I can't believe they show it often, when I think about it. But that's not my issue, my issue is that it was just scary. Why do we need an epic battle of good and evil at Disneyland, ya know?

We had good spots, they seemed to be behind the reserved seating area, or maybe the handicap accessible seating if they have a roped off section for that for Fantasmic. We saw Mickey and everything really well.

We just didn't like it.

Of course we said we loved it, to the excited Canadian family, because we didn't want to make them sad. And it was amazing. Just...not good. To us.

That said, we DID like the part when the ships came out. I like how they have Mickey in black and white. I'd like to see that costume up close, b/c it doesn't just look like black and white, but some sort of special black and white. I can't describe it at all.

And the PP vs Hook battle was cool!

ry%3D400

After F! was over, we went against the crowd by going up towards HM. Although I didn't need to ride it, since I had just been there in November, I knew that Robert needed to go. So sleeping boy and I hung out while Robert went on the no-wait HMH!

I was standing facing the river, back to the entrance of HM. And I noticed the fireworks. OK so I'll tell you this, my sense of direction is absolutely blasted to pieces at Disney. People post these pictures that show you can see Maliboomer from the Mark Twain and I get confused. They say this attraction is one way when I thought it was the other. So the idea of seeing the fireworks when looking towards the river is massively confusing to me. I would have thought you'd need to look back towards the entrance of Frontierland.

But I was wrong.

So just in case anyone ever gets it into their heads to watch while in NOS facing the river, this is an example of your view. Hint: it's not so good. So at least stay over closer to Pirates instead of towards HM.

I keep forgetting you can hear things on the recordings my camera makes. :) So you'll also notice that the fireworks music is piped in!

Robert finally came back, and he thoroughly enjoyed HMH. He loves the movie and loves the normal ride, and loves HMH. He was happy to go on it again.

We decided we really needed to go back to the hotel. We were exhausted. But before that, we needed a little something to sip on. With Eamon absolutely wiped out, Robert ran over to the French Market outside window. He got me a Mint Julep and did a silly thing for himself, buying a Halloween themed mug, and instead of just getting the coffee that came with it, got a latte instead. That was an expensive latte! But he loves his mug, just like I love my own mug.

The Mint Julep was....um...weird. I could see that it COULD grow on you. I could see it growing on you especially if it had liquor in it. But at first it just tasted like toothpaste water! I had to sip itty bitty sips of it and I never did finish it. Oh well. Was worth knowing what it actually tastes like.

Eamon didn't wake up during all of this. We walked out of the park, slowly, to the hotel. Put E in bed, he never stirred. Robert says I surfed a bit, might have gotten on the dis, but he passed out. I'm sure I went to bed rather quickly too.

Up next, our last day.

If I recall correctly, Jasmine (WazowskiLOVER) has also said the mint juleps taste like mouthwash (or similar dental products!) and she is not a fan. This definitely kills ANY urge I had to try one (I like peppermint, but not dental-mint so much), not that the urge was great to begin with. However, I am almost half-curious to take a tiny sip of one just to see how minty fresh the julep actually IS!!!

If you have 3 or 4 bucks to play with in your budget next time, it's worth knowing if you like it or not. I kinda wish they'd give tiny tastes so you know before spending it, but then again, it had a maraschino cherry in it and I love them but very rarely have them, so that was worth it. Even though it was sort of minty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter