Solo diner?

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
So I am going solo in May and would like to book a nice dinner on Mothers Day my question is I will be in MK that day but am open to suggestions elsewhere.
where would you go being a solo diner and would you feel awkward doing it?
should I just stick to quick service and mobile ordering? thanks :)

I had a solo WDW trip in November. I was there for 5 days. I ate one or two TS meals per day and I never, ever felt awkward.

I loved Skippers Canteen and BOG in MK and ate at both of those restaurants solo. Other suggestions would be meals at MK resorts. Suggestions would be Kona Cafe or Cali Grill. :)

So I am going solo in May and would like to book a nice dinner on Mothers Day my question is I will be in MK that day but am open to suggestions elsewhere.

I haven't been to Walt Disney World , so I can't tell you about the restaurants, but I can tell you about dining solo in a Disney Park. Since 2010 I have done multiple solo trips to Disneyland California and Disneyland Paris. I never even consider being solo when choosing where to eat. I choose where to eat based on budget and the menu. My go to restaurant in both parks in Blue Bayou, the restaurant in Pirates and I always ask for the premium location tables by the waterside.

I have also eaten solo at Carthay Circle in Disneyland California park, another one of the premium high end restaurants.

When using the Disney Online Dining reservation system, dont stress if there are no reservations for 1, just book for 2. You wont get charged for a no show.

You have as much right as anyone else to eat at any restaurant you choose, from premium fine dining to table service to quick service.

You should not be self conscious or feel guilty that you are sitting at a 4 top on your own.

Solo dining is amazing, you can eat what you want, when you want and spend as much as you want without having to fit in with other peoples dietary restrictions or food likes or dislikes.

Take a book, use your phone or just enjoy the atmosphere and people watch. You should not miss out on a dining experience just because of other peoples discomfort at seeing a solo diner.

I've dined solo at both BOG and Tony's Town Square. Both were fine. This was pre-covid.

Actually, at BOG, the waiter took really good care of me. Relaxed, had a couple glasses of wine, etc. Nice meal. Very attentive.

At Tony's, I was like "look, I'm hungry, hot and exhausted". I got exactly what I needed..... Lots of coke and the food came out quick.

Most of my trips are solo, and pre-COVID, I made at least 1 ADR a day. It's great for picking places you wouldn't ordinarily go to if you were with other folks, or making sure you visit old favorites. Have a great time!

I’ve dined solo many, many times over the last 10 years and have always felt comfortable. I do avoid shared tables like those at Biergarten and Teppan Edo.

For food Jungle Skipper is my favorite but Be Our Guest definitely feels more “special occasion”. I used to enjoy the a la carte lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern but am not a fan of AYCE Thanksgiving.

If you have trouble getting a reservation for one, try for two. You won’t be charged for the missing person as long as you show up.

Sorry, just had to add this.

When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was - wow, they added a new TS in Star Wars land? Personally, I'd have gone with Skywalker Cafe, but Solo Diner works as well.

Hope you have a great trip, and I would not think twice about dining alone. I've done it outside of Disney World, and have witnessed many people do it while we were there. You should not feel awkward about it at all.

When you go out to eat with family and friends, do you ever look around the restaurant to judge someone sitting alone at a table? Of course not! You'll be fine. I love my family to the moon but my solo trips to Disney restore the patience I need when all 8 of us go together.

For Mother's Day, I would pick BOG if you would rather stay in-park. Otherwise, I would consider Cali Grill at CR so you can simply walk over. Both have lovely atmospheres. I've dined solo at WDW and never felt awkward!

I have eaten at multiple restaurants as a solo diner when my wife couldn't join me.
I have never felt awkward at any restaurant including Signature restaurants.
I would go where you want and not worry.

The Plaza Restaurant with a seat by the window. Take a break from the heat in a charming little place on Mother’s Day and watch passersby with the Castle as the backdrop. Maybe it’ll be open by the time you go.

The Plaza Restaurant with a seat by the window. Take a break from the heat in a charming little place on Mother’s Day and watch passersby with the Castle as the backdrop. Maybe it’ll be open by the time you go.

Oh, and not awkward at all. Sounds lovely in fact.

From MK i would go eat at the bar at cali grille, if the bar isn't available I'd get a table. I cant eat junk while I'm on vacation, need quality food.

My last trip was solo (before Covid) and I did a signature dinner every night and never felt uncomfortable. I always had a book if I felt like reading or had a journal if I wanted to jot down my thoughts from the day. I would 100% go to Narcoosees or California Grill.

I've been solo a few times. The only place I felt awkward eating in MK or the MK area was Ohana.

But Ohana's still not open, so problem solved. Have fun!

Oh and I'd go to Skipper Canteen. But that's just me...

I've gone solo at least 25 times. From MK, I'd go over to the GF and request a window seat at the GFC.

Another frequent solo traveler here and have eaten at many signature restaurants there. Never felt awkward. I have my kindle app. on my phone and tend to read while I'm eating. I don't read while waiting for my server or waiting to pay. I like to just sit and take in the atmosphere and people watch during that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter