Solo non-park day ideas

pixleyyy

DIS Veteran
Hi,

DH has a training convention at DLH later this month and I'm tagging along. We added some park days on to the front and back of training, but there are 4 days where I won't be entering the parks at all and he'll be in convention. We're staying at GCH so I thought I'd do a spa treatment there. Then there's the obligatory reading books by the pool. But I'm going to have a lot of down time. Any suggestions for things to do during the day by myself? Or things hubby and I should visit in the evenings? I/we can uber places if needed, but we won't have a car.

Hi,

DH has a training convention at DLH later this month and I'm tagging along. We added some park days on to the front and back of training, but there are 4 days where I won't be entering the parks at all and he'll be in convention. We're staying at GCH so I thought I'd do a spa treatment there. Then there's the obligatory reading books by the pool. But I'm going to have a lot of down time. Any suggestions for things to do during the day by myself? Or things hubby and I should visit in the evenings? I/we can uber places if needed, but we won't have a car.

Get a rental car. There is a lot to explore in the area. I can't imagine 4 days without parks and trying to stay busy on property. There just isn't much to do besides shopping and eating, now that the movie theater is gone. I'd suggest visiting a couple local OC beaches, driving to a nearby mall, like South Coast Plaza or one of the outlets, if that's your thing, etc. If you want a spa day, I'd skip the Mandara Spa at the Grand and instead, go to Burke Williams Spa at the Block at Orange. It is a million times better than Mandara, and with any treatment, you get all day usage of the hydrotherapy tubs/spa. Bring a bathing suit! There is also the Orange County Performing Arts Center where you can catch a show, if there is something good playing while you are there. That would be something you and your husband could do at night, potentially. Other nighttime options are the Anaheim Packing District, some local breweries if you are into that (there are a couple in Anaheim), catch a baseball game at Angels stadium, a concert at Five Points Amphitheater in Irvine, etc. There is a lot to do in the area.

If you REALLY don't want a car, you can Uber to all these places, but it will get expensive, because things are spread out here.

Last edited:
I second the suggestion of Burke Williams. Orange has a cute little downtown and is a quick uber ride away. Sign up for the tours of the Grand and the walking workout in the parks prior to park opening.

If you don't opt to rent a car I suggest the OC Beach Tour from the Anaheim Tour Company. They pick up at most hotels and after a brief photo op stop at Laguna you then have a few hours each at Newport and Huntington Beaches. It's a great way to see some of the OC and you won't feel uncomfortable traveling solo.
https://anaheimtourcompany.com/

You can go to Sea World in SD, or to the SD Zoo...they have buses that pick you up & drop you off @ the hotels & whisk you away to those locations for little day trips...I think it's the same bus co. that does the OC Beach tour. I have done all three & I believe they were all the same bus company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter