• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo parenting a 1.5 and 5 year old at WDW week of the 50th. What to do?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm staying at the Poly with my 18 mo old and 5 yr old Oct 4-8. Hubby just got a new job and already has a negative vacation balance from a trip we just made to Puerto Rico, so he will be teleworking. Which is fine because he doesn't have my boundless level of Disney energy.

Any advice on:

1) How to handle crowds with 2 little kids and no partner? I went to WDW a bunch with my firstborn and did partial solo-parenting, and I am a part-time SAHM, but I'd love tips on how to do Disney with TWO little kids. Thankfully I will get a couple nights to myself to go on the fun adult rides while hubby watches the kids.

2) What rides/parks are best for 2 little kids? When I brought DS1, I loved watching him toddle around peaceful World Showcase with low crowds. I kinda hated MK because of the crowds and overstimulation.

TIA!!!

Last edited:
Bring a nanny! Only half-way joking. I was a live-in nanny when I was younger and went with my employer family to WDW. I had a great time and they got some alone time. This past Feb. I went along with my brother and his wife as nanny for their DD, so they could go to the super bowl one day and out with some friends another night and out on a dinner date one evening. They paid for my trip and I had a great time. Do you have a relative that might like to go with you?

Assuming you can't bring a nanny, you can still have a delightful vacation. The Poly will be a great place for your stay! I would do short park visits like not more than 4 hours at a time. You can search on MDE for rides with no height restriction which are the rides you can take the baby on.

I would bring a double umbrella stroller, because the 5 year old will want to sit, or bring an umbrella stroller and a baby sling/carrier so you can give the five year old a break and so you can hip-carry or pack-carry the baby in lines.

Watch the videos of "See ya real soon" family for ideas and to get a feel of their child-centered pace and focus in the parks. It is delightful to watch.

If it was me, I would probably make a list of attractions that we could possibly enjoy in each park, thinking about how we would sit/ fit all three together in a seat. Rides like Peter Pan and Finding Nemo can easily have all three of you sitting side-by-side.

I think you could have a fun time with your littles in any of the parks.

One last recommendation: Be sure to consider your own fun. As a mom, sometimes in making sure everyone else has fun, has needs met, etc. , we forget to provide for our own enjoyment. What does that look like? A kid-break every now and then, a table-service lunch even though the kids won't eat much, visiting a favorite childhood princess attraction even though your kids aren't interested in princesses, and maybe even going back to MK just by yourself in the evening while you DH watches the sleeping kids. You could also have a balcony-date with DH after the kids fall asleep with a dinner or drinks and share your days with him.

Bring a nanny! Only half-way joking. I was a live-in nanny when I was younger and went with my employer family to WDW. I had a great time and they got some alone time. This past Feb. I went along with my brother and his wife as nanny for their DD, so they could go to the super bowl one day and out with some friends another night and out on a dinner date one evening. They paid for my trip and I had a great time. Do you have a relative that might like to go with you?

Assuming you can't bring a nanny, you can still have a delightful vacation. The Poly will be a great place for your stay! I would do short park visits like not more than 4 hours at a time. You can search on MDE for rides with no height restriction which are the rides you can take the baby on.

I would bring a double umbrella stroller, because the 5 year old will want to sit, or bring an umbrella stroller and a baby sling/carrier so you can give the five year old a break and so you can hip-carry or pack-carry the baby in lines.

Watch the videos of "See ya real soon" family for ideas and to get a feel of their child-centered pace and focus in the parks. It is delightful to watch.

If it was me, I would probably make a list of attractions that we could possibly enjoy in each park, thinking about how we would sit/ fit all three together in a seat. Rides like Peter Pan and Finding Nemo can easily have all three of you sitting side-by-side.

I think you could have a fun time with your littles in any of the parks.

One last recommendation: Be sure to consider your own fun. As a mom, sometimes in making sure everyone else has fun, has needs met, etc. , we forget to provide for our own enjoyment. What does that look like? A kid-break every now and then, a table-service lunch even though the kids won't eat much, visiting a favorite childhood princess attraction even though your kids aren't interested in princesses, and maybe even going back to MK just by yourself in the evening while you DH watches the sleeping kids. You could also have a balcony-date with DH after the kids fall asleep with a dinner or drinks and share your days with him.
Omg what a helpful response!! Thank you so much! These are awesome ideas! I never would have thought to review which rides will allow us to be 3 across. I will totally do that and it will being me peace of mind!!

I saw a news article not too long ago about a local Nanny service that offers a variety of options so you can hire someone for a few hours or a day without a big commitment of 24-7. AND the Nannies have their own theme park admission as well as wouldn't need a hotel room.

I moved this to 'Theme Park Plans' but if you prefer can move it to 'Disney for Families' as you'd probably get a lot of helpful information there.

Definitely a double stroller. The Poly will be nice because you can get on the monorail without folding it. There is also the splash area at the pool, which is fun for those ages.

I would make a plan for eating because I feel like counter service could be difficult with two little ones and one adult. I would do a table service restaurant for one meal each day. That way you get a chance to sit down.

I don’t know what your five year old is like, but I would have a discussion about how important it is to stay together and what to do if they get separated from you. I have one kid who wouldn’t leave my side at that age if I told her not to…and another kid who would just take off if he saw Mickey in the parade! I would probably get some sort of bracelet or something with your contact info for both kids, just in case.

I took my 5 year old and 6 month old a couple of summers ago by myself to MK, while DH took our middle son to HS to do more of the "thrill rides." First, allow yourself plenty of time! I underestimated the time it would take to get us, a double stroller and my bags on and off the bus. I was used to having help so got a bit frustrated and it just made for a hot, rushed mess at first. I mean we turned it around, but maybe rushing to rope drop wasn't necessary by myself! Once we got to MK, my biggest piece of advice is just to slow down and enjoy all the little things. They loved watching the Mainstreet vehicles, looking at the windows up Mainstreet, stopping by the "wishing well". Thankfully the Fantasyland rides that don't have the height requirements don't get long lines super quick...so just enjoy with them! Lots of looking at the things we normally would just rush right passed!

I took my 5 year old and 6 month old a couple of summers ago by myself to MK, while DH took our middle son to HS to do more of the "thrill rides." First, allow yourself plenty of time! I underestimated the time it would take to get us, a double stroller and my bags on and off the bus. I was used to having help so got a bit frustrated and it just made for a hot, rushed mess at first. I mean we turned it around, but maybe rushing to rope drop wasn't necessary by myself! Once we got to MK, my biggest piece of advice is just to slow down and enjoy all the little things. They loved watching the Mainstreet vehicles, looking at the windows up Mainstreet, stopping by the "wishing well". Thankfully the Fantasyland rides that don't have the height requirements don't get long lines super quick...so just enjoy with them! Lots of looking at the things we normally would just rush right passed!
GREAT points. I guess looking at windows on Main Street is a good thing for us to do also since all the ride lines will be so long! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter