Solo parenting trip with 2 boys in different age groups?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Hello! I am considering a quick trip for my boys, no hubby since he just went with us in Sept and needs a year between his Disney doses.

Big kid will be 7 soon and loves all the thrill rides (not ready for ToT just yet tho). 3 yr old is very much a little baby not ready for even pirates of the carribean a couple months ago.

Should I even bother? I am worried big kid will be so bored not going on any thrill rides.

I have considered 7 yr old alone on an overnight trip but 3 yr old would be so sad to be left behind.

I just feel like I only have a few more months of my big kid believing in magic and want to take advantage! Plus, we finally want to go on all the same rides!

The problem you will have is that you cannot send your 7 year old to ride on his own (the big thrill rides) and you cannot leave the 3-year old behind while you go on the ride with the 7-year old.

I would leave the 3-year old behind. I suppose, based upon family dynamic, your 7-year old could resent the 3-year old if the 7-year old can't go on the rides.

It’s seems like you need another person to go with you if you take both kids. Could you sell the little one on a special adventure with Dad at home while you take the older kid.

7 is technically okay to ride by themselves but if the 3 year old won’t go on most rides you are going to be stuck waiting outside with little one while the 7 year old rides.

It’s seems like you need another person to go with you if you take both kids. Could you sell the little one on a special adventure with Dad at home while you take the older kid.

7 is technically okay to ride by themselves but if the 3 year old won’t go on most rides you are going to be stuck waiting outside with little one while the 7 year old rides.
and unless the 3 year old is tall enough you will not be able to wait in line with older one even if he is riding by self

If you can do it, I’d take your oldest only and promise your 3 year old a trip when he’s 7. We’re taking both my kids on “only” trips when they turn 10, my oldest has gone on hers, and my youngest is still waiting but very excited about it.

I have considered 7 yr old alone on an overnight trip but 3 yr old would be so sad to be left behind.

I just feel like I only have a few more months of my big kid believing in magic and want to take advantage! Plus, we finally want to go on all the same rides!
This is something I would do for a quick trip, I think you could make it work with both kids but you'd need set solid plans and ground rules. As your son ages he's going to want to go on more rides anyways, but maybe this should be a "solo mom and me" trip if you're concerned about him not enjoying future trips. If you decide you do not want to exclude your 3 yr old, then this becomes a very different trip but one that can be just as magical. Its up to you and how you plan it.

Did Epcot in July with a 7yr old and an infant. Epcot has plenty to do for those of all heights, lots of eye shopping and we do dinner outside of the park at a character dining experience (Story Book at WL.) at the end of the day you know your kids best, so trust your gut

I'd plan a trip with just the 7 year old. You can do a seperate trip with the younger one another time. We did lots of things like this with our kids and still do. That way you and the older kiddo can have special time on all the rides and not worry about naps and bedtime with the younger kiddo.

If you were just there in September with the whole family I would just take the 7 year old. I have 5 kids from 2 to 13 years old. Since I bought in Dvc last year I’ve started a new tradition. Last year and this I’ll take whole family in January and then I have a trip planned for me and one kid. I took my 9 year old last summer and I’m taking 8 year old this summer. It worked out great last summer with the 1 on 1 time where we just do what they want. There’s always time for your and your little ones solo trip. I also feel like 8ish is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Hello! I am considering a quick trip for my boys, no hubby since he just went with us in Sept and needs a year between his Disney doses.

Big kid will be 7 soon and loves all the thrill rides (not ready for ToT just yet tho). 3 yr old is very much a little baby not ready for even pirates of the carribean a couple months ago.

Should I even bother? I am worried big kid will be so bored not going on any thrill rides.

Heck I am 64 and I still believe in the magic 😉. I should add my wife is as well. This past October on our last trip we did the Fantasmic show. Had not done it in 25 years. She was squealing like a little girl. It was great

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter