Solo (sort of) trip in 2024

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
So I haven't been back to the Disney parks since I lived in Florida in 2013. My wife and I stayed at AKL in December 2021 but we only did Universal parks and WDW resort hopping to see holiday sights. I am fixing to go back in 2024 sometime and need your advice for when to go. Here are my parameters:

1) No kids will be involved on this trip. I'm going to down to visit my son's godfather. He's in his 50's and is a CM and I'm in my late 40's. My wife is not a huge Disney fan so I have her blessing for a guys weekend.
2) I'll probably stay at a value or moderate on property. I will not have a car.
3) I prefer to do long weekends rather than weeklong trips as I'm a professor and don't work on Fridays so I can easily score a flight from my local airport on Thursday night/Friday morning and be back at my University in Massachusetts for my Monday department meeting. As someone who has lived in Florida, I prefer not to go in the summer as that is when I am in Europe doing research and its blisteringly hot in FL.
4) For the most part, I can go anytime of year. My job permits that and I have a ton of flexibility (please don't be jealous, I had to go through 12 years of higher education to get to this point in my career). I am leaning towards February 2024 or possibly October/November 2024.

So what do you all think? When should I go and where should I stay?

So I haven't been back to the Disney parks since I lived in Florida in 2013. My wife and I stayed at AKL in December 2021 but we only did Universal parks and WDW resort hopping to see holiday sights. I am fixing to go back in 2024 sometime and need your advice for when to go. Here are my parameters:

1) No kids will be involved on this trip. I'm going to down to visit my son's godfather. He's in his 50's and is a CM and I'm in my late 40's. My wife is not a huge Disney fan so I have her blessing for a guys weekend.
2) I'll probably stay at a value or moderate on property. I will not have a car.
3) I prefer to do long weekends rather than weeklong trips as I'm a professor and don't work on Fridays so I can easily score a flight from my local airport on Thursday night/Friday morning and be back at my University in Massachusetts for my Monday department meeting. As someone who has lived in Florida, I prefer not to go in the summer as that is when I am in Europe doing research and its blisteringly hot in FL.
4) For the most part, I can go anytime of year. My job permits that and I have a ton of flexibility (please don't be jealous, I had to go through 12 years of higher education to get to this point in my career). I am leaning towards February 2024 or possibly October/November 2024.

So what do you all think? When should I go and where should I stay?
I would go for October/November since you could get Halloween, Food & Wine, and maybe the Holiday celebrations all in one go. I would look more towards a moderate, but pay attention to transportation options for each resort to figure our a short list, since you won't have a vehicle. I do these short trips regularly myself, and this would be how I would approach it.

For me, Pop Century is perfect for a solo trip. It's central location and Skyliner access make it the best for getting around.

I would go for October/November since you could get Halloween, Food & Wine, and maybe the Holiday celebrations all in one go. I would look more towards a moderate, but pay attention to transportation options for each resort to figure our a short list, since you won't have a vehicle. I do these short trips regularly myself, and this would be how I would approach it.
Thanks @brad813, I appreciate the suggestions and that's what I'm leaning towards. I'll check out what parks are my priority, although EPCOT is my favourite park so I might try and aim my preferences in that direction. I also really love Food and Wine.

I haven't yet ridden the Skyline so POP could be a winner.

Oh, the Skyliner is great - very efficient. Like, if you wanted to take a mid-day break, it makes it so easy if you are at Epcot or HS. Caribbean beach has it too (it's the transfer hub), but it's so spread out, if you are far away, it might be less convenient. Also of course, Riviera, but it is a deluxe, not a moderate.

Feb 2024 could have advantage of lower crowds as long as you avoid holiday weekends and runDisney weekends plus the arts festival if that appeal. I love food and wine and Halloween though so you can’t go wrong with either…where to stay? I‘ve stayed solo at pop and it was great…plus skyliner…but if you want a moderate my choice is usually POFQ…though the only resorts I have not liked were Coronado and Carribean (too spread out)

I am leaning towards these dates for these exact reasons and I know the weather will be mild. It will be a LOOOONG wait from now until then but I have other trips planned in between. I believe transportation will be pretty high on the list. My friend has a car as he's local so there are days he may pick me up.

Professor emeritus in New Jersey, I’ve done solo visits for many years. Before I retired, I was tied to the academic calendar… spring break crowds are brutal… and one of my great joys is going whenever I want! Was there mid-June, set to go mid September and beginning of December. I love retirement!

I’ve owned DVC for many years so normally stay on points. However, when I need extra days, Pop is my resort of choice and, I think, perfect for a solo. Skyliner gives great access to both Epcot and HS, my favorites, and they have dedicated buses for AK and MK. Great for late nights and dining access.

October/November is probably as perfect a time as you will find. Food & Wine is nice, though I’m a Flower & Garden girl myself. There are actually festivals pretty much throughout the year at Epcot now. Weather is very pleasant and you should be beyond hurricane season. Staying at a Skyliner resort, this is important since it shuts down in bad weather and switches to buses. Depending on when you go, crowds should be less… watch out for those long holiday weekends, though… and of course, Jersey week! Lol

BTW, I started my own academic journey with a degree from UMass Amherst many, many decades ago. Good memories!

Have fun planning!

You might also check the Swolphin rates. If you book far enough in advance you can find great rates, cancellation up to 5 days before and easy transport to Epcot and HS.

Regarding timing, I’d go sooner rather than later as you never know what might pop up to interfere with plans. I’d avoid Presidents Day weekend in February, though. Early in the month is better. October can still be pretty hot, imho, plus it is hurricane season. My first trip ever was early November and it was excellent. You just never know if the weather gods will cooperate.

You might also check the Swolphin rates. If you book far enough in advance you can find great rates, cancellation up to 5 days before and easy transport to Epcot and HS.

Regarding timing, I’d go sooner rather than later as you never know what might pop up to interfere with plans. I’d avoid Presidents Day weekend in February, though. Early in the month is better. October can still be pretty hot, imho, plus it is hurricane season. My first trip ever was early November and it was excellent. You just never know if the weather gods will cooperate.
I hadn't thought about Swan or Dolphin so now I may look into them. I'd rather spend more time at Epcot anyway and I love Boardwalk area.

I am leaning toward Oct/Nov as I know from living there that it's a great time of year and the weather SHOULD be more cooperative (but it's Florida so you never know). Now I just need to find a date, a resort, and pull the trigger.

I really love the Christmas parties, so I would lean towards going in November. There is also food and wine festival or the Festival of the Holidays in Epcot.

If you're spending a lot of time in Epcot and Studios, somewhere on the Skyliner will be your best resort option. Riviera, Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin, Pop Century, or Art of Animation. Pop is the cheapest but also doesn't have much theming, Swan and Dolphin are nice Marriott resorts but not as Disney-themed, and the others are pretty well-themed.

On the other hand, if you want to spend more time in Magic Kingdom or you're going to a Halloween/Christmas party, Wilderness Lodge is a great choice to be close to the park, and it's a lot cheaper than the monorail resorts.

I prefer POP for a solo trip because of the murphy bed. It leaves so much space with the bed up.

You can't go wrong with French Quarter.

Early November is a great time. Good weather and low crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter