solo trip if you're a shy person? looking for advice...

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
*sigh* doing a bit too much thinking this morning.... so here's a bit of a rambly post:

well, my bf's work schedule has been crazy, and i've been dying for a Disney fix... so i started toying with the idea of going to WDW solo...

but i've never travelled by myself before.
i've thought about travelling on my own before, especially since my bf doesn't have as much of a love for travel as i do. he just comes along with me, i'm the one with the passion for travel. and plus he claims he's not a Disney fanatic anymore, so i'm the only Disney freak in the household now. :p
well i figure of all the places to start travelling solo, WDW would probably be the best place to "practice" before going off solo to somewhere in Europe or something.

but, i'm a pretty shy person. and, even though i do enjoy spending time by myself, usually i get pretty lonely if there's not someone to share my travel experiences with. which goes back to the shyness thing, how i'm afraid it'll be really hard for me to meet people to hang out with on solo vacations.
plus, my anxiety/panic disorder has been worse ever since 9/11 and with all these terrorist warnings and all.... which is another reason i'm scared to travel by myself. what if i have a panic attack?
so, does it sound like solo travel is just not for me?
i don't know...

do any of you solos out there also happen to be shy people? and how has travelling solo been for you?

DisneyBerry, I traveled alone in Europe and LOVED it! I spent a few weeks with friends, then set out on my own. I was a little scared at times, a little homesick now and then, but ultimately I did EXACTLY what I wanted to do and was rather proud of myself.

There was a great article in the Disney Magazine last year about a woman who was on a business trip and did WDW on her own. She mentioned how she struck up conversations with families while standing in lines, etc.

I think you should definately go for it, maybe just for a couple of days. Make a plan so that if you have a panic attack, you have someone you can call (carry a phone card in your pocket) or some other calming activity like a bath or meditation that can get you through. I think you'll find that this may actually help you feel more confident and more independant.

Another thing, you might take a tape recorder or journal that you can "talk" to like a travel companion. Have fun planning your vacation presentation for your boyfirend and friends back home.

I know it's expensive, but you might consider staying at concierge level so that you can have CM's who know you and are standing by to help, just for your peace of mind, and also so that you can go to the concierge lounge for familiarity.

My first 2 trips back to WDW in many years were solo and I had a blast. I too am not an outgoing person, but loved the fact that I did what I wanted when I wanted. Did call DBF every night, but still had a fabulous time. I didn't do any sit-down restaurants, but lots of counter-service that were just fine.

Great people-watching too!!! I say go for it!!! :Pinkbounc

I'm not shy and I don't experience panic/anxiety attacks so I don't know if my advice would be pertinant or not, to your situation. However, I have made about 6 solo trips to WDW. I loved every minute. I did what I wanted when I wanted.

But like I said, I'm not shy, I had wonderful conversations with people waiting for a parade or waiting in line (although I try to spend as little time as possible in line ;) ) and I truly enjoyed it.

Also, there is a thread for adult and solo travelers with a link for each month (right now through June) so that people planning to be at WDW at the same time can make arrangements, if they choose, to meet up. That thread is right <b>HERE</b>. In addition, there is an adults and solos dining central thread where you can find other solos with whom to share a meal. That one is <b>HERE</b>

I think you could make some new friends and enjoy travelling solo too. Go for it. I think you might be surprised at how much fun it is to travel solo to WDW.

Katholyn

I've been to WDW solo 5 times and love it, I think, more and more each time. I'm a fairly quiet person, some people would say shy. However, I'm an only child, so being alone is something I grew up with. I remember an article I read once in Disney Magazine about how someone was so hesitant to go to WDW solo because she was afraid she'd miss the human interaction, the conversation. Then in MK she happened to see a little boy and made some 2 word comment, and found she was now "fullfilled" with her need for human interaction. She actually enjoyed it! I think WDW is a great place to go solo, but even after 5 trips there, I'm not sure I'm ready to venture to anywhere else solo.

I'm a really a shy person too. I've gone solo 2 times and loved ever moment. I called back home to family everynight to tell them what I did that day. I've taken a few tours, and everyone has been so friendly. I've even met up with a few Diser's to share meals. I suprised myself, because that is so unlike me.

Going back again in Oct...so far I haven't let the terrorist situation bother me. I just long to forget the world and relax in Disney.

I'm also shy but found traveling on my own to be the best experience ever. Many of the other tips here should help you; I think trying some tours would be a fun way to meet people. I tried the tape recorder when I went alone to Australia, but kept falling asleep while talking! :o LOL. I think you might find yourself just that tired at WDW but a tape is an awesome record of your trip and insights; it's a great way to reminisce.
I have panic attacks myself and one thing that really helps me are Sea-Bands. These are wrist bands that are for nausea; they are sold at most drug stores and can usually be found with Dramamine & Bonine. They help me with my motion sickness but I've used them when I start feeling a panic attack coming and they somehow ease the symptoms. I don't know if it's the accupressure or just being able to focus myself on the task of putting them on and adjusting them, which takes me out of the cycle of panic. I like that they are easy to carry; you can slip them on as needed and for as long as you need. No drugs or pills to worry about. The other thing that helps is reminding myself to breathe. Sounds stupid, I know, but I get stressed and forget to breathe properly. So every hour or so I try to remind myself to take a few minutes to relax my shoulders and breathe deeply. Last Nov. I took my 10 yo niece to WDW and my mom told her to make sure I remembered to breathe. The poor kid - I think she thought I might die or pass out; she took it so seriously. We'd be waiting in line and she'd suddenly yell "Are you breathing?!!" We got some strange looks...:eek:

Hi Disneyberry!

I have not have panic attacks so I can't help with that but there seem to be some great advice about that in the above threads.

I love traveling solo at WDW and Disneyland. The chance to do what you want, when you want and how often you want.

I spent a little over a week at WDW and met up with some internet friends a couple of times. Public places - Public Places only. I do like to talk to people but I found at WDW - CM would strike up conversations with me when they saw I was alone.

I loved the idea of a tape recorder or journel. I have a small note book - fits into small fanny pack and pen I take with me into the parks or to place to eat. It can be fun to jot down thoughts and such. Others have taken a book with them to read in lines or such.

I had a pre-arranged schedule of who I would call each night. I told them I would call by a certain time and if they had not heard from me by the next morning to call the resort and ask for my room. And if I did not answer to please send someone to check on me. I did that not because I was afraid but because I have sever allergies and I do not know what might cause an out break. It was comforting to me to know that someone knew where I was and would act if they didn't here from me.

I hope you have enough information about solo trips to decide to go.

Come on down, forget your worries for a while, and enjoy.

Have a safe journey to Orlando.

I have no advice to offer--I, too, am shy and am making my first solo trip to WDW at the end of May. Reading the posts on this thread have made me feel much better about going alone! Thanks to all who posted!

Everyone has offered up so much so I can't I won't add anything...except for - JUST GO AND DO IT!!! It's so much fun going by yourself.

thank you for all the advice and encouragement, everyone. it helps me get a little bit closer to actually taking the plunge. :)

i think i'm going to have to put vacationing solo on my list of things i want to accomplish at least once in my lifetime. heh.

i don't know if i'm just quite ready to do it yet though. my physical health isn't too great right now, i'm still trying to get on a regular exercise regimen. but, hopefully in a few months, i'll be in much better shape.

of course, this year i might succeed in putting together a big family trip for my parents, brothers, and i, so... maybe i'll have to wait another year or two...

My DH and I already had 4 trips to WDW before I went solo, and now I have gone to WDW solo 4 times ( For a total of 8 times )
We don't have any children.

By our 4th trip TOGETHER I knew WDW as well as any travel agent specializing in WDW !!

I felt perfectly safe at WDW because I knew it very well. I was a LITTLE nervous about it, but a LOT excited. For me though, it is important to NOT rent a car, and to stay on WDW property the whole time.

I call myself a "formerly shy person". I actually marvel at all the things I can do NOW, compared to many years ago.

When I am standing in line, a tiny bit of shyness creeps back, and I fight it. In my mind only, I play a little game. I challenge myself to start up a conversation with the person next to me.
If it works well, I feel gleefully happy that I did it !!!

:bounce:

You might want to try a search on the web for solo travelling. I recall reading in People magazine about a Canadian woman who is divorced. She wanted to see the world, but was scared of travelling alone. To make a long story short this woman has travelled solo around the world, and she has set up a website for solo female travellers.

NOTE: I found her website: http://www.journeywoman.com/

I really hope that this website helps you.

I know what your fears are as well. I am shy, but I've decided that after my schooling is over then I will congratulate myself with a trip to WDW-solo or not. I think that it will take a lot of courage to take a solo trip, but I'm not going to wait around for DH to make his appearence :)

You might want to start building up your courage by dining alone in a sit-down restuarant (that IS scarey!), or going to a movie alone (not as scarey IMO).

diane

Here is a solo trip report for you http://www.wdwig.com/solo.htm

Hi, I haven't gone solo yet either but was supposed to in 2001 (8 days) when I was suddenly hospitalized with viral pneumonia. I was truly bummed out that I was in the hosp. instead of at Disney. I wanted to go so bad that one year later (Dec. 2002) I did go for an extended length of time (11 days).

I was shy as a kid but no longer am. Even though I have gone with family members the past couple of trips, I always feel at some point that I am alone (I am an only child as well and am use to lonliness). My family doesn't like to ride the same rides so I am standing in line there by myself as they are off doing something else (i will ride BTMRR and SM over and over, etc by myself). I always manage to strike up conversations with people and they have always been friendly. Don't be afraid and don't panic. In the end we are all people with many of us experiencing the same fears. Be brave and be bold, don't let that your going solo get to you.

I agree with the above post in that if you stay on property and rely on their transportation, you should be pretty safe. As you are trying to get on an exercise schedule, you may want to stay at a resort that has an exercise room (AK, VWL, etc). You will pay more but it will help you to stick to something your familiar with (ie. if you exercise in morning at home, then exercise in morning on vacation). As it may cost you more to stay at these resorts, you can always shorten your trip. Try out a 3night/4 day stay. Believe it or not the time flies by. Should you decide that solo worked out, you can always look forward to a longer length of stay.

Lastly, I agree with an above message try eating at a nice rest. by yourself. As I travel for work, I have to do this. I always find that if you keep yourself busy (others will glance at you and some may stare) doing your monthly budgeting, grocery list, reading book or magazine while waiting for your food, the time flies by and before you know it you've eaten and are ready to go. You've lived through the experience.

Get your health in order and continue to tell yourself that you can and will do this. Before you know it you will have done it.

Here is a quote I came across while reading "Simple Abundance".

From March 22nd, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

---Eleanor Roosevelt.

And another quote: "Just do it!"

----NIKE ads.

I like to eat a nice, sit-down lunch or breakfast- always at a table. I never like to eat at a counter, unless the restaurant is very busy. I just don't like to have my back to the restaurant. Besides counter stools are generally less comfortable than chairs, and I'm convinced service is better at a table. If you eat at an "off" time, you will reap the benefit of having a server who is not overly busy and will have time to talk to you. I had lunch at the Brown Derby on my first solo trip and had a lovely conversation with my waiter, who was very helpful and attentive.

I have had so many great conversations with CMs and I feel my trip was enhanced by this. When I travel with other people, I'm usually so focused on talking to my group, that I spend much less time talking to CMs. At the recommendation of an AK CM, for instance, I left the park at midday and came back an hour before closing for another safari and another walk down the Maharajah Jungle Trek. It was like a completely different park (I finally saw the cheetah!), and I would have missed it if I had kept to myself.

I was much more shy when I was younger. I think travelling solo has helped me gain the confidence to put my independent streak and friendly nature to good use. The great thing about being among strangers is that no one knows how you usually act. The first few times I tested my comfort zone of solo travel, I faked the confidence. Now it's no longer an act.

I am not a very outgoing person and consider myself basically shy, but I have reached the age that if I want to do something or go somewhere, I do it, usually solo. I still have trouble initiating conversations with strangers, after a while can get into talking to people arond me. Disney seems to blur the lines to where there are no strangers.

My boyfriend (of 23 years!) doesn't like to travel, so he stays home to take care of the dobie and lets me do my thing. The cost is usually reasonable because I'm purchasing one airfare, the room rate is for the room, and one park pass. I budget one special lunch or dinner a day and snack the other meals. I can't wait to go to Disney in December.

hi everyone, i haven't checked in w/ this thread in a while, but wow... you have all provided such inspiring advice! thank you!
i'm especially inspired by the Eleanor Roosevelt quote. thank you, Diane. :) i think i'm gonna have to print that one out on a huge banner or something, and put it up on my wall to remind myself that i must push myself to face the challenge.

I have gone to WDW solo several times, so I think I may be able to help. There are times when I go, where I wish my family was there and I think that's normal. But the flipside is not that bad either. You get to dine where you want, go to whatever park you want and ride the same attraction 10 times in a row if you want (on my last trip I rode Test Track 5 times in a row one morning -- use the Single's line at this attraction since it is a great deal faster) and since the Haunted Mansion is one of my ultimate all-time favorite attractions, I find myself riding this quite often! I'm pretty independent, so travelling solo does not really bother me. I find both cast members and fellow guests to be very friendly, especially if they notice I'm solo. I've had people strike up conversations while waiting for a parade or a show to start or while waiting in line for an attraction. I always bring a book with me to the parks or restaurants, since this passes the time while waiting for the meal to come or while I'm dining. It also comes in handy while waiting for a show or parade to start. When I go solo, I'm also able to dine at some of the nicer restaurants. I tried Spoodle's for the first time last December and it was EXCELLENT!!! I've also done character meals (1900 & the Crystal Palace are the best). I had a conversation with one cast member regarding how corporate sponsorships work at EPCOT. It was very interesting. I have a blast both going with family and solo. I just find I have a little more freedom when I go solo. I have never once felt unsafe anywhere on Disney property, since I just use common sense. Anytime I am in my room, both door locks are locked. I make sure I am aware of my surroundings and keep a good hold on my backpack. Before I leave, I make up envelopes for each day for both housekeeping and for spending. I pull out one each morning and what is in the spending envelope is all that I spend for that day. If I don't spend it all, it goes towards another day. I take very little with me (less to loose) and leave the remaining $$, my license & credit card in the safe in the room.

I can recommend some great resorts & restaurants to go to solo if you would like. Just drop me a line and I'll shoot those right over to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter