• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SOLO TRIP: Splurging and Private Character Experiences!

VinnyDisney

Earning My Ears
Hello All!

This is my first post and am so excited to be part of this community. I have been a long time reader. I am planning on treating myself and going to try a solo vacation for my birthday in January. A little quality alone, me-time. I really want to splurge and treat myself. I have always stayed at the Grand Floridian and have had club level service. I plan on booking that again with a view of the park hopefully. With so much time to myself, I plan that I will actually be in my room more to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Anywho, when I am checking packages online, the Platinum package isn't offered. Will it not be offered in 2010? If it is, is it worth it if I plan on doing a few tours and want to be treated like a VIP with reserved seating to certain shows, etc.?

Also, one thing that I cannot find any information or answers on is if it is possible to 'rent' (for lack of a better word) private time with a character? I want to be that person on the commercial that is on the ride with Goofy or skipping down Main Street with Pinocchio. Obviously I know a lot of it marketing and for show, but I wanna do it too!!! :) I could of sworn remember reading that you can rent them to do special occasion type things, like engagements but can you do it hourly?

In the end, I just want a VIP experience and something unique for my first solo trip and my birthday!

Thanks for any help, advice or any further or additional information.

Have a magical day!

I don't know any answers to the resort questions, but I would recommend calling the Disney VIP Tour Services. They might offer something like you're looking for. (407) 560-4033

Personally, I would skip the platinum package and just book several VIP tours. There are two levels of VIP tours and the one you are looking for is the Premium Tour. It is a private tour that costs $275 - per hour with a 6 hour per day minimum( you may extend this of course). Meals, characters, activities, tickets, etc are all extra. Just call them up as the PP mentioned and talk to them about the special experiences you would like to arrange and they will let you know what they can do. I usually book a seat for our guide when I make dining reservations but she has typically paid for her meal herself (even though we repeatedly offer to pay) and while you will receive a confirmation from the VIP Tour department you will not be able to speak to your guide before you meet her for your tour. They can pick you up at your hotel or meet you somewhere else on site, and they also have access to some dining reservations/vip parade seating but if a restaurant or activity is full and you haven't booked in advance they can't help you. I don't think they can arrange the hand in hand skipping down Main Street with a character (you can always ask though!) but we have arranged a private meet and greet for our children at the hotel. This is at an extra cost and I don't know if it's something unusual or not - our daughter was very sick so it may or may not have been an exception (she's much better now!). Good luck and have fun!

Hello All!

Also, one thing that I cannot find any information or answers on is if it is possible to 'rent' (for lack of a better word) private time with a character?

If you get any information on this, let us know. I'd be interested in Jasmine or Mulan for an hour.

not sure when You are looking for, but I am coming solo in Jan and was to stay at the GF CL, but I lost it and they had no room left!
so I am now at the BWI CL. I am looking forward to seeing the new rehab from the past year.

I am not sure about Main Street - but 6 years ago for our wedding we had Mickey and Minnie in formal attire for 30 minutes. The cost then was around $1100. But boy could they get a groove on. It was so worth the expense.

Yes, it can be done! :) In fact, we did it about 20 months ago. We had Mickey Mouse meet our group at the marina at the GF. It was a lot of fun to have him all to ourselves. A word of caution, it's NOT available in the parks during regular park hours (at least it wasn't an option when we inquired).

I was already working with an event planner as I was setting up a luncheon, treasure hunt led by a streetmosphere actor portraying an adventurer (he was Idaho Jones, Indy's brother:lmao:) and a dessert cruise. So, they were able to help me pick out what characters/where/when.

I had originally wanted Jack Sparrow but he was one pricey pirate. He cost the same as the other characters per visit but had lots of staging requirements that would have cost thousands of dollars for us to fulfill since he couldn't meet us in a public area, even at a resort, and he had to have a certain type of backdrop for his visit.

We were, however, offered a long list of other characters that could/would appear in most places throughout the grounds of the GF. In the end, Mickey just fit in well with our adventurer theme because he appeared wearing his safari attire which looked a whole lot like Indiana Jones apparel next to Idaho Jones and the rest of our Indy look alikes (some of the kids dressed up as well).

Here is a link to the trip report post I wrote about our special time with Mickey Mouse. HTH.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=28531163&postcount=415

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all the information! I guess I have a lot of options to consider and am guessing the best thing to do is just call and ask about all the options and what will suit my needs the best. I cannot wait to let you all know what I decide but you definitely gave me a lot to think about!

:) Have a magical day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter