Solo Trip? Who do you tell?

Bethmsu

Mouseketeer
I just booked my first solo trip not long ago. I am looking forward to my trip and want to chat about it all the time. The only thing is, although I know I will have a great time, I am not ready for other peoples opinions or judgments. I am certain nobody will be mean or anything like that. Its more that they don't see Disney as a place for Adults without kids to travel and the idea of an adult traveling there alone is really wierd to them.

So for people who have booked a solo trip before, or even adults traveling without kids to Disney, who do you tell?

Whats the strangest response you have gotten?

I am happy with my decission but I also don't really want to defend it! I find myself being vague with the details....:laughing:

I just booked my first solo trip not long ago. I am looking forward to my trip and want to chat about it all the time. The only thing is, although I know I will have a great time, I am not ready for other peoples opinions or judgments. I am certain nobody will be mean or anything like that. Its more that they don't see Disney as a place for Adults without kids to travel and the idea of an adult traveling there alone is really wierd to them.

So for people who have booked a solo trip before, or even adults traveling without kids to Disney, who do you tell?

I am happy with my decission but I also don't really want to defend it! I find myself being vague with the details....:laughing:

I tell everyone and I talk about the great restaurant bars, the rollercoast fun and all the stuff I luv. . .

Who do I tell? Pretty much everyone on here :p. Those that check out my TR (or checked out the first one), those that I run numbers for over on the dining boards, those in the CSR thread (once I decided to rebook for there), and well, you now :p. (And also family, everyone at work, everyone on a particular online game I play quite a bit... etc) They sure get sick of it, but that's their problem and not mine.

As far as how I handle the "Isn't Disney just for kids?" BS, I just simply tell them nope. I go primarily for food, photography, and atmosphere (and heck, who doesn't like rides?). Luckily, everyone around me pretty much just gets that it's my thing (and heck, I've even made several coworkers start considering their own trips). For the solo part, it's just more of a "I enjoy it" type of deal. Really pretty simple for me. The fact that my family is pretty in-tune with Disney, though they won't go as often as I do (except my mom, she's always up for it), helps a bit too.

I'm a single male with no kids so I can relate to what you are saying. I usually tell my family about my trips just to be safe and they accept my love for Disney and just tell me to be safe and have fun (duh). One of my friends once told me that Disney is for kids and I should grow up. I didn't feel the need to defend myself and just ignored his comment. I agree that you shouldn't feel the need to defend your decision as long as your having fun.

I pretty much tell anyone that stands still long enough...I just can't contain my excitement. I only got the eye rolls, snarky comments, and giggles the first time. But when I came back with loads of stories, pix, & video...half of them saw it's not just for kids...and the other half have chosen to keep their comments to themselves since. In the meantime, I've become the 'go to' person when others want to go...they come to me for tips, advise, how to get the most for their buck...and have told me, most of the info I give them is more accurate...or their travel agents knew nothing about most of the stuff I tell them. LOL...some have even taken their kids and come back & said...they sure wish they didn't have the kids with them so they would have been freed up to do the more adult things.

I tell Everyone who will listen, and half of the people who won't listen..LOL

I am a married 45yo father of two teenagers. I’m pretty sure I don’t fit the profile of the typical person going to Disney alone; however, I’m less than 40 days away from my third solo trip in the past 2 years. :banana: This latest trip and one last year were both add-ons to business trips to the Orlando area. The third trip was for the W&D Half Marathon.

My family all love Disney, and I love our family trips down there. However, my DW is a teacher and my kids are in school, so when I find myself with the opportunity to make a quick trip down during the school year they simply can’t go. It gives me the chance to do all the things they really don’t want to do anyway, like sitting in the lobby of GF for hours listening to the band or watching Impressions de France 3-4 times in a row.

As far as telling others outside my family about my solo trips…..I quit doing that. When a middle-aged man tells someone he’s going to Disney alone to hang out in the lobby of the Grand Floridian hotel for an afternoon, he is assumed to be either a nut or a pervert. :sad2: Since I’m neither (although the nut characterization probably isn’t far off) I prefer to just keep my Disney plans to myself.

I am a stay at home mother of 2 boys (4 and 5) and a wonderful husband who just let me take a "mental health" solo trip to WDW!!! I went Feb. 4th to 7th and stayed at the WL!!! All I can say is I can't wait to do it again :cool1:

I didn't tell too many people b/c most folks think you are crazy or will be bored going alone. Bored???It's Disney!!! It was wonderful to go on the rides I wanted to go on, eat when I wanted, rest when I wanted and the ability to shop without having to worry about kids, bored husbands and taking too long ;).

I met a few wonderful women while I was there and was selective with who I told about my solo adventure but they were all stunned and proud that I did it by myself.

Disney is my happy place and nothing else on earth truly makes me as calm, relaxed and is as beautiful as WDW. That being said, I haven't ventured too far out of my comfort zone, but why mess with perfection :lmao:

I did have a few people after the fact think I was nutso, but hey being home with 2 small children will make you that way anyways. I am SO happy that I did it, I don't care if people think it was dumb/stupid/or a waste of money. I loved every minute of it!!! GO and have a BLAST!!!:woohoo:

As a late 30's adult with no kids, I understand what you are saying. I hate to say it, but I am a little embarrassed that we go to Disney once or twice a year. I do not tell my family. I just say I am going to Florida, and perhaps Epcot(which is seen as more adult-like) for the day. The friend I go with, his parents wonder why we are "going again". They don't get that it is so much more than kiddy rides and Mickey Mouse. I wish I could share my many pictures and adventures with friends and family, but just don't. They think I am wierd enough for being single with no kids as it is. :confused3

I told my Mum and my friends who were all very excited for me and a little jealous lol The only negative response was from my sister who couldn't understand why I would want to do it and asked in a negative tone "won't you be lonely!?" Umm no! lol I had a blast doing what I want, when I wanted because I have always been an independant person and there were several days where I meet up with friends I have chatted with on the internet for years who were all so lovely! My sister still makes negative comments about me going but I'm a grown woman, it's my own money, and I am not going to not live my life because she doesn't have one lol

Tell whomever you want. Some will be happy for you and others well their opinion doesn't count because you are the one going to have a great time. So chat away.

Good to know I am not the only person out there who feels super excited about my trip.....but still not really ready to tell everyone (my employers for example)! I have told some people and my family is super supportive and really happy for me!

I tell Everyone who will listen, and half of the people who won't listen..LOL

This would be me. In fact, most of the people who know me think I moved to Central Florida just for Disney (they are right of course, but I would never let them know that. . .). . .lol.

I remember telling a fellow teacher one time. Her response-"You go to WDW ALONE?! What do you do? Ride Dumbo or something???"You could tell she was appalled. So I said "Oh, yes-and I can't wait til my next trip!" That's when she gave me a strange look and walked away.
On the bus ride to WDW once, I met another female, married solo traveler. Her husband, she said, was fine with her solo trips, but DMIL wasn't. Apparently, she was convinced that if DDIL was taking a vacation without her husband, there must be marital trouble. So the woman told me that they no longer told DMIL. But if DMIL called while DDIL was away, she was just "in the shower".
I have no hesitation telling people here. But DH finds that he gets lots of "Boy, are you being duped!" looks if he tells co-workers that wifey's off at WDW by herself. They figure I'm really up to something and DH just doesn't see the truth. Once someone said I might be seeing another man, so DH said "Oh I know.....and his name is....Mickey!" So people have decided we're hopeless and we just don't tell many people any more.

I see no problem going to Disney alone at any age. I want to go alone sometime in the next year alone as I think that might be an awesome experience as I have only gone with family so far.

I'm doing my first solo the last week in September, leading up to the Wine and Dine half marathon and I've told EVERYBODY that I can pin down. Here are the reactions:

Those who live in other cities (I live in NY, and especially my friends in LA) were sad that I wasn't going to see them. But very happy for me.

My family members WITH kids say I'm nuts, but are jealous (the last any of them have been was when WE were kids - Older bro was 17, sis was 13, I was 9, baby bro was 5) Baby bro lives in Florida and has been as an adult and gets it now. It's funny how it takes going as an adult to get it!

Most of my friends are excited for me. I admit I used the W/D 1/2 as a buffer, and when I say how awesome it's going to be (I mean the changes they've made. Really this is going to be the best 1/2 ever!) most people are jealous. Anyone who's been as an adult is immediately jealous. Some people think I'm weird for going alone, but understand.

To be fair, I'm in my 30s and single (have a BF but that's still single!) and most of my friends are the same, and are glad that if I'm going on vacation on my own it's somewhere that I'll feel safe. I do want to go to Europe alone one day, but right now all I can think about is Disney. My only regret is that I've planned this so far in advance! I want to be there now!

Overwhelming positive attitude from people, from planning to booking, I think my excitement feeds other positive attitudes. Which emoticon is the super crazy excited one? Because :banana: is not as excited as I am! :rotfl:

People ask me all the time why do you keep going back? What do you do there? Isn't it for kids?
I respond by saying I enjoy myself and I believe in the magic...you should try going and then tell me how you feel! I've had fellow cops return from trips and say they had the best time and wished they could've gone without the kids. I tell them "you can go w/out your kids, just don't tell them you're going" :rotfl:

I went alone for my Birthday in Feb. Some people I told, did kind of make fun of me. But my reply was that I could not think of one other place where I would feel safe, be 100% sure I would have a good time, would not need a car or have to carry my own luggage, be able to sit in the sun and read a book (I live in the Chicago area, so sun is on the top of my winter vacation musts), or be entertained if I wanted. For a short getaway, you can't beat Disney.

I am a single woman. I booked my birthday solo trip to Disney for October.pixiedust:
The reactions I get when I tell people I am going to Disney solo vary... some are jealous/excited :yay:, some roll their eyes:rolleyes: and my favorite: the "Oh.........." reaction. :confused3
Recently I was told I need to broaden my horizons and travel elsewhere. I have been lucky to have traveled to many places, but I enjoy coming back to Disney and this time it's the Magic My Way Trip.

I'm going in May for my very 1st Solo trip and I can not be more excited!! I used to worry what others might think then I found you guys here at DIS and now I say to Hell with what everyone else might think. I can't wait to eat,shop and drink to my hearts desire. Sleep late or stay up all nite. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter