• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo trip with kids? Would you?

I would take them myself. I'm assuming that at those ages your kids are generally able to behave, follow directions, and take care of many of their own needs. So I think you would be fine. If your husband isn't interested in going you should totally save the $2000 by going without him and staying with MIL!

Edit: Just saw your latest post. Nevermind!

Kids would be 9.5 and 6.5. Unsure on MIL. Probably she'd join us at least a couple days, but not all days. That said, I'm fine being in parks with them alone. I often take them to the carnivals, museums etc... by myself when DH is working (we homeschool). I guess I just wasn't sure if... I dunno. It'd have the same "feel" without him? Will we enjoy it as much? Would you consider spending that much money on a vacation without him? (We can only afford such a large vacation about once every couple years).

No, I could not, and for the same reason/doubts that you have mentioned. Dh, children, & I have 'always' vacationed together, and I know I could not enjoy myself without us being together - just the way we are.

I've taken my kids without DH since my kids were 4 and 6, and have loved those trips just as much as when he's along!

I also have driven them alone 1,000 miles to visit family twice, so have no issue with taking them on trips without anyone's help.

My DH also doesn't quite get into Disney, so it's actually much more relaxing without him along at times. Last year for spring break and again in August, it was just DD and me. We're going again in August, and I'm so looking forward to it! It's so much easier to not worry about what others want to do!

Yep. My DH has major crowd issues due to the military. He went for the first time last September with me and my son (DS3's second trip) and he hated it. My son and I are going back in September without him and he is so glad that he will be staying home lol. It will probably be just me and my son for a few more trips and he will try go back in a few years.

ETA: just saw your post that he decided to join you. Glad it worked out for you!!

I know he decided to go, but it if comes up again, I would totally. I have a short trip planned just for myself and kids without my husband (who reluctantly went the last time, although he was a very good sport about it). I invited my SIL, so luckily I will have another adult to help with logistics, but I was planning to go solo if she couldn't come. My husband just doesn't enjoy WDW that much, and like others have said, it will actually be more fun to not worry about whether he is having a good time.

Yeah, speaking as a husband/Dad, I'd be pretty miffed if my wife and kids when on a 12 day vacation without me, even if the destination wasn't my cup of tea. My suggestion, if he's not a big fan of the parks, is to do a good job spacing out park days and take breaks during those days if you don't already. I like the parks, and even I get grumpy after a while in that heat. I need the lunchtime breaks as much as the kids do. :D

What's with these grumpy Dads not wanting to go to Disney?! :joker:

Yeah, speaking as a husband/Dad, I'd be pretty miffed if my wife and kids when on a 12 day vacation without me, even if the destination wasn't my cup of tea. My suggestion, if he's not a big fan of the parks, is to do a good job spacing out park days and take breaks during those days if you don't already. I like the parks, and even I get grumpy after a while in that heat. I need the lunchtime breaks as much as the kids do. :D

I'm a stay at home mom (ha, I'm not home when I'm running the kids to doctors and such). My husband runs a business with over 300 employees, so he can't take a ton of time off.

I've flown and met him in Hawaii many times, and even gone with other friends and my mom there with the kids when they were 5 and 7 and he couldn't go.

He needs much down time on vacation, so prefers our Hawaii trips (we used to live there), where I most often do the cooking (we have a timeshare) and laundry. Fun but not so fun!

He doesn't get into the parks so much, so would rather I go and do what makes me happy and then we all go do what is relaxing for the most part for all of us. He isn't grumpy, just deals with so many folks all day and has been many times to Disney (and our honeymoon!). I can take time off as it suits me, and I love to go.

Half our trips over the last 10 years have been me and the kids, and I would rather go have fun than cater to his needs to stay at the hotel! One of the most fun trips was 15 nights just me and the kids!

I cannot imagine him not wanting me to go have fun. He can go anytime he wants to do guy things - matter of fact I just set up a weekend away with his highschool buddies to go on a lake trip! I was invited but think they'd have a better time with just the guys!

Hey, thanks, great to hear input from the male side! And funny, the first thing he said (jokingly, but I think he was serious too), "What? Is having me go with you not worth $2000?" lol. Of course, I was just honestly thinking of him, trying to "spare" him a trip, and he knows that. But he said that while no, the heat/crowds/Disney isn't necessarily his thing - vacationing with his family is, and he really did enjoy seeing how much the kids enjoyed it. And there were things he liked, too.

But, I'm definitely going to be taking your advice, and we'll make sure that we have R&R days planned, as well as a trip to Old Town for the car show (he LOVES muscle cars), and I'm also going to make sure there's some days that he can sleep in. Last time we went it was rope drop EVERY morning, and we did four full days in a row before we took a day off, which was too much. I've actually been toying with an itinerary, may post it a little later. You can feel free to chime in on it as a man ;)

I'd do it in a heartbeat. DH is not a huge Disney fan, and I have done trips on my own with our kids before (4 kids, currently aged 11, 10, 6, and 4).

We are in the same boat. My husband is a teacher and I would prefer to go in December which means he can only come for a couple days. I will be taking my 2 DDs ages 5 and 8. I am nervous but while this is about the "family" it is also about my 2 daughters being able to experience this.

I would not do it. My husband has his own business and works a lot. So as it is I am by myself quite a bit with my kids and/or we are spending time with my Mom or my MIL without DH. So our vacations to WDW are really our dedicated family time with DH and to us that's very important to maintain. Plus, I think he likes WDW even more than me! Everybody situation is different though and I'm glad your DH decided to go!

Also, in case I implied this, I would never plan a trip without my husband. I would discuss it with him first. But he was fine with it, will use the time to finish a DYI remodel and garden. Neither of use work super long hours (he has summers off), so we spend a lot of time together as a family. If we didn't, or it was a long trip, it would be a different story.

In a New York minute! DD and I are heading down next month. DH went in 2011 to "enjoy DD's 1st time" but I could tell he really didn't want to be there. He doesn't like theme parks either and also does not see the hype about Disney. o_O I did ask him if he wanted to go and he said 'no' so we are going without him. I can't wait to go and am already planning our next trip and this one isn't even done yet!!!! (Shhhh! DH doesn't know yet).

I'm glad you talked to your DH and all is working out! Have a great time!

Oh yes I would go without DH! My boys are 9 & 12. We'd have a blast. Then again, I'd go without my kids and DH! I am all for a solo trip or a girls trip to WDW. :flower1:

So glad that it worked out for your DH to go! My DH didn't like our first trip (hated the heat and crowds) but he has loved it ever since. We started going in the cooler months, and I was much less militant/more organized about how I planned the trips.

I went on a trip with just my kids a few years ago. It wasn't planned that way, but DH had a bad kidney stone the day before we were leaving, and on the morning of our flight had to go get it blasted. :( We planned the trip with BIL's family, so it was a whole big mess to try to cancel. He wanted us to go, I wanted to wait until he could go too. He didn't want to disappoint the kids. In the end, BIL stayed with DH, and SIL/family went with me. They'd planned to stay just one weekend, so it was just me with the kids for a week. We had a great time but we missed DH so much. I wish we hadn't stayed as long (10 days) but had just gone back when my SIL left after the weekend. But hooray for happy endings - we got to do the 10 day trip with DH in October.

I would do it! Our kids are 4 and 6 and we are already planning that me and the kids will go down a day or two before hubby on future trips. Only because it is hard for him to get away from work. He's self employed and has no one to fill in for him when he's on vacation. I'm totally comfortable with it.

So, DH is not a fan of heat, crowds or theme parks. He could really care less about Disney. We took a big family vacation last summer to Disney. And don't get me wrong, he enjoyed himself, and of course he loves seeing the kids enjoy themselves, but, he could care less if we ever go back. He's willing, but only because we (kids and I) want to.

So, we have been planning a return trip next summer, for 12 nights (spending 5 days in MK parks, 1 day at Lego Land and 1-2 days at Disney water parks).

However, MIL mentioned that she is going to be going to Florida for 2-3 weeks again next winter (Feb). We have the option to go with her (we would just stay one week). However, since DH teaches, it would just be the kids and I going.

Now, the obvious downside is: DH wouldn't go with us, and so it wouldn't really be a "family" vacation. But, the plus side is, is that it would save us $2000+. We could then take half of what we saved and do a smaller, lower-key family vacation together in the summer, and then maybe I could take the other half and surprise DH with a golf club membership which he has been wanting for several years.

So... WWYD? Could you do a vacation like Disney without DH? The children and I have only ever done one "vacation" without DH before (3 nights away) and we all missed him, but that said, that was also a few years ago when they were much younger.

We do it all the time. DH has been to WDW once and DL once and really doesn't like it, so the kids and I go without him every year...usually with my extended family.

ETA: We have 3 kids and I've done it with them as young as 7 weeks and my oldest is now 14...if I were going completely by myself (as in no other adults) I would really prefer to wait until the youngest was at least 3, but either way it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

It would all depend on the ages. No diapers and strollers would be the requirement. I'd say go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter