Solo visit w. disability

chaospearl

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 yr old woman with severe rheumatoid arthritis. I'll be traveling to Disney in early October, and for the majority of the time I'll be alone. I'm going with a group of members of a forum I'm involved in, and I've never met any of them before -- from past experience I know better than to ASSuME that someone will always be willing\able to help me when I need assistance. I'll also be arriving earlier than the group, so I'll have three or four days before anyone else is there. On previous trips to Disney I've always had family members there, so I'm wondering what kind of assistance I can expect when I'm alone. I read somewhere that CMs are not permitted to assist guests in or out of wheelchairs, etc. I'll most likely be renting an ECV and while I don't need help transferring out of it, I recall from last time that it was sometimes tough to actually get myself into the ride vehicles. In particular Space Mountain and Splash Mountain I seem to remember have tiny low cars that you need to be Gumby to climb into within the short couple seconds they give you to get yourself settled before the ride jets off. I was able to clamber into the car and sort of slide down into the seat with a painful THUD, but as for getting out, forget it. I need someone standing outside the car to give me a hand up so I can pull myself out because I just can't lever myself up from that low a seated position. Are CMs allowed to do that, or am I going to be refused back on that ride once it becomes apparent I can't climb out of the car by myself? If CMs can't touch me, is it polite to ask another guest nearby to just stick out his hand so I can climb out? I try to do stuff myself absolutely whenever possible but sometimes it just isn't going to happen. I've had two hips and one shoulder total joint replacement surgeries in the last five years. I do just fine once I'm settled in the little car and I can yip and holler on coasters with the best of 'em, but when it's over I can't get out of the stupid car again. I'm going to be so depressed if that means I can't go on most of the rides alone.

Jenni

They will not be able to assist you in and out of the cars, although they can stop the ride to give you more time to enter and exit on your own if you need that, all you need to do is ask. I'd guest a guest assistance card that explains this at guest services.

As far as asking another guest for help, I wouldn't count on that either. I know my DH and I would be loathe at best to assist someone with an obvious impairment like yours, only as we aren't trained to properly do so, and would fear hurting that person--which can easily happen with someone not trained to assist a mobility impaired person.

My advice to you would be to possibly hire someone to go to the parks with you. Perhaps get in touch with a local community college in that area and see if there is a nursing program where one of the students might be willing to trade assisting you with a park pass and meals for the day.

Anne

Yes, the above poster is correct that CM's aren't able to physically assist you in any way- it's a liability issue... but I'm also sure they wouldn't leave you stuck in the seat...can you imagine riding Space Mountain the entire day! :-) For the time that you are solo you might want to concentrate on the attractions where there isn't a loading/unloading problem and/or the shows, then do those rides when the rest of the group can assist. Also, another poster gave me a great tip...ask housekeeping to undo the spring at the top of your resort room door so that you don't have to struggle to push/pull it open. This way it works just like a regular door. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip. Kathy

I don't have mobility challenges, but I love to travel alone. I think you are very courageous and will probably have a wonderful time.

Since it sounds like there are very few attractions you are not able to navigate on your own, may you might save those for when you have a companion to give you a hand up. If extra time is all you need, just let the CM's know.

Have a magical trip :earsgirl:

The following is quoted from the Cast Reference Guide titled Services For Guests With Disabilities:

"To fully experience some areas, Guests may need to transfer from their wheelchair either by themselves or with the assistance of a member of their party. Disney Cast Members are not permitted to physically lift Guests. Our Cast is permitted, with the Guests consent, to push, steer or otherwise aid Guests in manuevering their wheelchairs for short distances, up ramps or inclines, and/or boarding or disembarking rides or transportation vehicles. This policy appplies, unless to do so would pose a safety concern for the Guest or Cast Member."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter