Some Lessons Learned this Week at Ft Wilderness

This is kind of concerning to me. We have the cabins booked for may 9-12. I thought we’d be able to swim and relax but I don’t want to stand in line with a 12 month old or not be able to swim at all. We were hoping to take the boat in the morning to MK instead of driving our car. How early are the boats running before park opening?

This is kind of concerning to me. We have the cabins booked for may 9-12. I thought we’d be able to swim and relax but I don’t want to stand in line with a 12 month old or not be able to swim at all. We were hoping to take the boat in the morning to MK instead of driving our car. How early are the boats running before park opening?

The large boat ran normal time when we were there in October. The problem is with Covid distancing you can only get about 40 percent of capacity on the boat. There were no small boats running. Just two larger ones. So some people found it easier to take a bus, also social distanced, leaves from the Settlement by Hoop Dee Do bus stop to MK.

Until restrictions are totally lifted it will be more difficult no matter how you do it but I cannot possibly imagine driving being any faster than the bus or boat to MK.

The large boat ran normal time when we were there in October. The problem is with Covid distancing you can only get about 40 percent of capacity on the boat. There were no small boats running. Just two larger ones. So some people found it easier to take a bus, also social distanced, leaves from the Settlement by Hoop Dee Do bus stop to MK.
Dh isn’t comfortable taking a bus so it’s either boat or drive for us. What do you think would be better? We plan to get to mk as early as possible because ds will need a nap around 9:30 or 10

Until restrictions are totally lifted it will be more difficult no matter how you do it but I cannot possibly imagine driving being any faster than the bus or boat to MK.
I’m not sure how early to show up for the boat to mk

In October we got there an hour prior to boat start. We were first in line. In about 20 minutes line was about halfway to the beach. I'd say 45 minutes prior at least.

Dh isn’t comfortable taking a bus so it’s either boat or drive for us. What do you think would be better? We plan to get to mk as early as possible because ds will need a nap around 9:30 or 10

If you drive you will end up at TTC and have to be in that line to cross the lagoon on that boat at half capacity. We did the same as tiggerdad on his advice and were at the dock very early. We were fogged in until the very last minute, but they ended up running the boats.

In October we got there an hour prior to boat start. We were first in line. In about 20 minutes line was about halfway to the beach. I'd say 45 minutes prior at least.
If you drive you will end up at TTC and have to be in that line to cross the lagoon on that boat at half capacity. We did the same as tiggerdad on his advice and were at the dock very early. We were fogged in until the very last minute, but they ended up running the boats.
Thank you both for your replies. We’ll be up early anyway because of ds so getting there 45 minutes early shouldn’t be a problem. Most likely one of us will stand in line while the other takes him on a walk or does breakfast with him.

We have been to the Fort for 4 stays and never had a golf cart. Have not needed or missed having one.

We don't rent cart but we bring bikes. I think I agree with OP tho that it is nice to have cart for many bc the Fort is huuuuuuuge and being able to go all over at your whim is nice. We personally wouldn't be without our bikes so I agree how some like OP would feel about cart, definitely makes more convenient. But I also know that it is easy to get the buses but you see more of the Fort biking around, enjoyed a lot and we spend days at the Fort like OP mentions to do. Walking would work too but it's far for many. But the bus system works good too for many and carts can be expensive. Nice there are options.

Thank you both for your replies. We’ll be up early anyway because of ds so getting there 45 minutes early shouldn’t be a problem. Most likely one of us will stand in line while the other takes him on a walk or does breakfast with him.

There are big and small boats running now. They come every 20ish minutes. We went a few weekends ago during a busy time and for the most part it wasn’t an issue. We had to wait once time for a second boat because the one that was there filled up, but we had also just arrived and were at the back of the line. Fair enough. The small boats are the real issue, because they are social distancing and they don’t fit very many parties on them right now. So one morning we got on one with only 3 other groups and there was a family that had just walked up and had to wait for the next boat. Even with all of that, I would still not drive to MK because the TTC won’t make it any easier. We showed up to the dock probably 45 minutes before posted opening time. I think we were the second boat that morning.

There are big and small boats running now. They come every 20ish minutes. We went a few weekends ago during a busy time and for the most part it wasn’t an issue. We had to wait once time for a second boat because the one that was there filled up, but we had also just arrived and were at the back of the line. Fair enough. The small boats are the real issue, because they are social distancing and they don’t fit very many parties on them right now. So one morning we got on one with only 3 other groups and there was a family that had just walked up and had to wait for the next boat. Even with all of that, I would still not drive to MK because the TTC won’t make it any easier. We showed up to the dock probably 45 minutes before posted opening time. I think we were the second boat that morning.

Glad to hear the small boats are running again. We always liked to take the small boat to Contemporary then walk over to MK. We missed doing that and a lot of other things this past October.

Glad to hear the small boats are running again. We always liked to take the small boat to Contemporary then walk over to MK. We missed doing that and a lot of other things this past October.
Sorry- to clarify, the boats are not running from resort to resort. Someone above seemed to imply that only the big boats were running at all, but now they are using the small boats to MK as well.

I hope they get the resort boats going by May. We’d love to go to the contemporary for lunch

Mosquito's, don't let anyone fool you into thinking there are no bugs at Ft Wilderness, we had mosquito's and another biting type insect. We go a citronella candle but once dusk hit we were driven inside, I attribute it to being so close to the standing water

1) Nothing stops the skeeters at FW when near the swamp areas.
2) They have been described as the Florida State Bird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter