Some observations about Universal this weekend

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Some things I noticed this weekend:

* The Beetlejuice show seems to have a new sound system since I could understand the lyrics this time.

* The Mardi Gras day parade is about the same as the night one. It's still better at night since the floats are lit up.

* E.T. Adventure has some changes. There's new signage and a new pre-show. Steve Speilberg has gotten a haircut from the poofy hair he had in the original one. The main upgrade to the ride are new fog effects during the forest chase and new lighting on E.T.'s planet.

* My love life is now like a Roy Orbison song. :( Film at the trip report...

The Mardi Gras day parade is about the same as the night one. It's still better at night since the floats are lit up.

While we missed the daytime parade...I'm going to comment on Universal's decision to move the nighttime parade to AFTER the concert!!! Jag and family, MIB999999 and I went to Finnegans to prepare for our evening :rolleyes: and when we went out to get our spot for the parade, something was wrong...it wasn't happening. So what we found out was that they were going to have the concert at 8:30, then the parade at 10. Now, I don't know about others, but when the concert ended (the REAL reason we were there), we wanted to get the heck out of Dodge, and it was impossible to make our way out of there with that parade going on.:mad: We were clearly not the only ones in that boat.
We noticed last night, as well, that the sign on the concert stage stated that they would be running it that way again last night.
We definitely think Universal needs to rethink this order...it really was bad form...;)
I wonder WHY they've changed it... :confused:

The Beetlejuice show rocked...I had never seen it and I really enjoyed it!!! :)

Karen

MsDis and i agree on this on 100%.

the parade after the concert was very different. you cannot get out of the park until the Gator float has rounded the corner by the main universal store to head towards New York. This also i feel cut out the possibility of an encore by EWF. When 9:55 came they were gone.

the concert was good and packed like i have never seen it packed before. :smooth:

the parade after the concert was very different. you cannot get out of the park until the Gator float has rounded the corner by the main universal store to head towards New York. This also i feel cut out the possibility of an encore by EWF. When 9:55 came they were gone.

The other thing I just realized about this too, the parade is definitely more for the kids than the concert is...I'm sure alot of parents with young children weren't happy about having to stay for the whole concert, just to see the parade...and I know they have a daytime one as well...but still...most people there at night were there for the concert...having to struggle to get out of there that way was definitely a bummer...the parade tends to get the party started, IMO...

Oh well...

Karen

don't worry Barry, we still love ya!
et_hit.gif

OK...see if this makes any sense...

Most people will watch the parade at 8pm, then after they start to leave the park. Yes, there are many for the concert, but the rest of the park becomes a ghost town. Now, for the business of a theme park, they want you to be in the park as long as possible. The longer you are in the park, the more likely you are to spend money. They knew that families with children would not want to wait that late, which is why there is now a FULL parade at 2pm (not the old mini-version that would run).

I see the problems, but when you think about it....it does make sense. And we all know that the parks need to start recouping some income.

Just my .02

-Scott

Yen,
Does make sense really, we did spend extra money at concessions. Just didn't like being clueless in our "home park"!
Jim

There's actually another reason why the concert is first. Everyone's cold so far....

Originally posted by Earl
There's actually another reason why the concert is first. Everyone's cold so far....

Um...so it's not to hold us all hostage in the park:rolleyes: ...with the park being open later, I'm thinking maybe something to do with late night noise caused by a band playing outside? Those Dr.Phillips kids need their rest! ;) Um.. Getting the partiers OUT of the park early to Citywalk? Getting the partiers to party earlier...I mean, ya can't have the party starting at 10...Keeping the partiers IN Finnegans longer?

Earl...always so elusive!!! :mad:
:D :D :D

Karen

Originally posted by h20jag
Bands cost more after 10 PM?
Jim
LOL Jag!

Hi Earl!! Does it have anything to do with dispersing the crowd more evenly for the parade?

If we guess right do we get a free Potion of the Gods? :p

nhrenee is warm ..... (no, it's not at the age of some of the performers that it's past their bedtime)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter