Some questions for fellow type-1 diabetics

Cestlavenus

Earning My Ears
I'm new to these forums, but I've been to WDW many times with my family, and I love it there!

I just have a few questions for any diabetics here. Since I was diagnosed recently, I haven't had to deal with these problems at Disney yet, but I will have to next May. :o

1. I need to count carbs in order to give my self the correct dose of insulin before each meal. Are the restaurants owned by Disney good at giving nutritional info if you don't call requesting it in advance? I don't need them to cook any thing special, I just need to know whats in the normal menu stuff, but its hard to request stuff like that ahead of time because we stop to eat spur of the moment a lot. ;)

2. Not really restaurant related, but I hate to start another topic about this... When they check your bags coming into the parks, do they get funny about insulin, needles, etc? Will I need a letter from my doctor saying I'm allowed to have them?

3. Also, do they have facilities in bathrooms to get rid of needles, blood strips, etc? I mean like the red hazardous materials containers... or will I need to carry my own?

4. Finally! Does anyone have any tips or advice to share having dealt with diabetes at the Diz in the past?

Thank you so much for the help, anyone who answers this, and I hope to share lots of Disney related memories here in the future!! ::yes::

Question 1: I'm not sure, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I use a "general rule of thumb:" if, when you look at it, it is approximately the same dimensions as a piece of bread, then its probably 1 carb exchange. (This doesn't work for rice, however...rice is too dense)

Question 2: I have a single smaller bag for holding my diabetic supplies that I pack in my backpack. I have to open the spaller bag, but I've never had a problem getting into the parks. It might be because they see the glucose meter, finger poker, syringes and insulin all in one small bag, it might be because they are "taught" what diabetes supplies are and to let them go.

Question 3: Yes, they have sharps containers available for use. You just have to call housekeeping when you get to your hotel (assuming you are staying on-site) I usually just keep mine in my backpack, after snipping off the needle part of the syringe--I have a plastic BD Safe-Clip) and then dispose of them when I get back to the room.

Question 4: Be careful, its easy to get low with all of the exercise at the parks...but above all, my main tip is HAVE FUN! :teeth:

ETA: added a little info to Question 3 about syringes.

Lightsaber.

I'm not currently a diabetic, (yet anyway) but I did have gestational diabetes the last time we went. My numbers were so high, I had to take insulin right from the start of the pregnancy. It was pretty easy going to Disney and following the "rules". Maybe I can help a little. I agree with everything Skywalker posted.

1. Are the restaurants owned by Disney good at giving nutritional info if you don't call requesting it in advance?

Yes they are generally good at giving any info. You might want to get a pocket sized book that gives you general carb info for foods. You can ask to find out how stuff is prepared, ie whether it was cooked with added butter or sugar,etc. They are also used to diabetics and other health concerns and will make a special order for you if you ask. I found even many of the fast food places were accomodating about basic requests. It may take a little longer but they can probably do it.

2. Not really restaurant related, but I hate to start another topic about this... When they check your bags coming into the parks, do they get funny about insulin, needles, etc? Will I need a letter from my doctor saying I'm allowed to have them?

I had a letter with me, just in case, but like Skywalker, no one every questioned me or looked twice about it. Even at the airport security I had no problems.

3. Also, do they have facilities in bathrooms to get rid of needles, blood strips, etc? I mean like the red hazardous materials containers... or will I need to carry my own?

They don't have anything in the bathrooms but if I remember correctly, you can bring them to first aid in the parks or as Skywalker said, just hold onto it and bring it back to your resort. Since I was a little nervous carrying around used needles and lancets in my backpack with my 4 year old around, I wrapped them up really good and put them in a empty water bottle in my bag (I didn't have regular syringes, I had the kind where you turned the knob for the dose and used disposable smaller needles)

4. Finally! Does anyone have any tips or advice to share having dealt with diabetes at the Diz in the past?

Make sure you watch your sugar levels. You'll probably be doing a lot more activity than usual which can cause the blood sugar to drop faster, especially if you are on insulin. Take breaks during the day. And there are quite a few diabetic friendly desserts in Disney! Not sure if you Dr allows it, mine did if my numbers were ok, the ice cream booth in the Land has a sugar-free, low fat chocholate ice cream!

Have a GREAT time!

1) Take a good carb counting book with you and practice eyeballing portions ahead of time. At WDW, the full service restaurants do not have a good handle on carb counts at least as of July although the chefs will go out of their way to try to help you.

4)In addition to the others great advice, I would add to always take along a fast acting carb, snacks, and your glucagon kit. I usually carry juice and an apple or banana for my son.

Don't be afraid to ask a CM for help in an emergency.

If you are flying, take all your supplies as carryon and be sure to take plenty of food with you in case of delays.

Good luck with your adjustment to Type I and have a great trip to WDW.:sunny:

Originally posted by Stimpy
snip... snip...

...And there are quite a few diabetic friendly desserts in Disney! Not sure if you Dr allows it, mine did if my numbers were ok, the ice cream booth in the Land has a sugar-free, low fat chocholate ice cream!....

Have a GREAT time!

They don't have the chocolate anymore! It was really good. Now they just have Vanilla-Chocolate Swirl and Butter Pecan! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter