Some questions for those who work from home

I've been working at home for about 8 months now and LOVE it!:thumbsup2
I have set work hours, and I basically only deal with my supervisor on the phone, everyone else I deal with on-line (it's an internet biz).

I do have a designated work area, but I alternate between my desktop and my laptop so I'm not in the same place in the house all day.

I enjoy having on music or news, but it's also nice just to have it quiet with the cat sleeping a few feet away. I also love the convenience of being able to run the dishwasher or throw a load of clothes in the washer while I do my job. Two mornings per week I start work a little later so if I need to go to the bank, or the grocery store, I can get that done. I think DW also appreciates that when she come home from her job, that she doesn't have all that stuff staring her in the face.

The best part may be the savings of time and gas from commuting. I fill-up the car about every 3 weeks now. If I want to drink coffee and watch CNN until 1 minute before work, I can do it. It's also nice to say hello to a neighbor when I go out to get the mail. or just walk out on the deck on nice days.

Also, I have not looked into this much, but aren't there some tax advantages to having an in-home office?

Oh yeah, EVERY day is casual Friday.;)

When I worked from home I would not only get dressed to "go to work" but I'd actually leave the house in the morning. I'd walk down to the corner store and buy a paper, then come back and go right to my office. That way I felt like I was actually "leaving" one part of my day and "entering" the next.

I would set a time to remind me to get up and take a break. Initially I'd start working at 7:30 a.m. and all of a sudden I'd look up and it was 6:00 p.m. and I'd never even gotten up for lunch! Without others to distract you or even remind you that it's lunch time, you need something to remind you. I'd set an egg timer for every 2 hours and then, even if I didn't think I needed it, I'd stretch, get a glass of water, and basically take a 5 minute break.

Limit doing those "home" type tasks (cleaning, laundry, dr. appointments, etc.) to lunch time/beginning/end of day or else you'll end up blurring the day too much. Work time is work time and while it's tempting to get up and throw another load of laundry in, it doesn't always work to your advantage.

Remind your friends and family that just because you are home, it doesn't mean you available for drop-in visits. You're working.

To get your fill of adult/business conversation, consider joining a local networking group or a local chamber of commerce. Typically their meetings are at lunch or in the early evening and it gives you the feeling of an office dynamic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter