Some thoughts on the cutbacks and "the good old days"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesley

DIS Veteran
Well, today I finally spoke with the person who was trying to contact me from the WDW executive offices. I had wrote an email protesting the elimination of early entry mornings (a favorite of ours) and the closing of the COP. I wasn't told anything that particularly surprised me.....the character caravan was explained to be a replacement for surprise mornings, which I was told were not being utilized by many guests (hmmm..then why was the ee park always the most crowded after regular opening hours? and why did we always have to be sure to get there right away to ride things without a wait for a little while?) and that the majority of WDW resort guests were requesting special character interaction opportunities. I was told that with COP they've been trying to keep it open and running for a long time, but its finally hit the point where they just can no longer justify it....I'm not sure how much I believe of this either...but hey, I don't know the business side of things and I don't work there to really see the numbers.

We did discuss a bit the issue of "quality of experience". The CM agreed to pass along my concerns here...about meeting some less than friendly CM's in the parks and resorts, cleanliness, and the issue of maintanence being done in view of guests. The CM did say, in response to my concerns about CM's "It used to be we'd hire 2 out of every 10 we interviewed...more recently it was like "hey, are you breathing?" okay"

Which brings me to what popped into my mind shortly after our conversation. Perhaps to have the level of service that was once the standard, WDW *needs* to downsize. If they just can't find enough people to fill their CM roles in a positive way, perhaps they need to cut back on how many CM's they need. In this case the cutbacks would be a good thing. Perhaps there really is no such thing as a "bigger, better WDW".....maybe its downfall has been laid out by the endless expansion. Or perhaps the downsizing will put WDW in a better position to give the quality of experience we expect.

Another thing I was thinking about is something I think I just need to come to terms with.....WDW will never be the same place I remember from when I was a kid, and from my visits in the early 90's. Things change, and we can't go back. This doesn't make me ready to sell my DVC points and quit going to WDW......but it does make me sad. Its kinda like watching my 20mo dd becoming a kid from being a baby and missing her being a baby. Yes, there are problems and the standards have changed but WDW is still quite an enjoyable place. As long as it remains enjoyable and there is still some of that pixie dust floating around I'll probably be there. I may or may not enjoy it as much as in "the good old days"....but its still the only place I can have that WDW experience...whatever that turns into in the coming years.

And, well, maybe I've just been schmoozed by a particularly persuasive CM into thinking all this...but whatever. I'm still sitting in the same car....concerned about the future of WDW, but looking forward to my upcoming trip!

Your thoughts on "downsizing" were interesting. Maybe Disney HAS overdone it a bit with four theme parks in one area. With all the other attractions in the area, good help must be very hard to find. (Especially for what Disney is paying).
Perhaps they would have been better off if they had more, smaller Disney theme parks in different parts of the country. There have always been rumors of Disney parks in Virginia, and in the Missouri Ozarks. Maybe that would have been the best deal, in the long run.

That's exactly why it was closed. The numbers were nowhere near acceptable. That's why they shortened hours, in hopes that by reducing shows, attendance per individual show would increase enough... apparently, it didn't. It's sad, but that's all part of the old "Find out what the people want and give it to them" routine. If you don't believe that costs couldn't be justified, then what do you think the reasoning was? If it were pulling in higher-than-good-enough numbers, it never would have been in jeopardy. Things don't just (to borrow from the standard RB vocabulary) "go on the chopping block" at random, nor do the powers that be discontinue things out of sheer meanness. I'm not flaming you, and I understand your disappointment, but at this point it just hasn't been performing up to par. That's not to say that no one liked it, just that not enough people liked it.

On the subject of getting good help for WDW:
I believe this was a result of the ten-year economic expansion that just ended, not WDW's expansion. As an employer, I have noted how tough it became, especially the last five years, to find any decent help in the under-$12/hour range. In the min. wage-$7.50/hour range, you were lucky if they were breathing! But things are changing - and fast. There are alot of people available now to employers at a very reasonable rate that you just could not find over the last ten years. As the unemployment rate continues to rise (and it will for quite a few months), more and more qualified people will be glad to work as CM's instead of collecting unemployment. And many of these people will be past "middle age". These employees usually take more pride in their work and don't allow personal issues to affect their work (which is the number one negative affect on attitude problems in the workplace).

I agree that sometimes letting an attraction get run down and never updating it will help to drive away visitors. I think that this happened with Horizons. The ride looked absolutely awful at the end and I thought that it definitely needed an update and a paint job. Then suddenly the story of the infamous sinkhole came out and that was that. Even my son recently asked if a certain ride that looked really bad was about to close because that seems to be the pattern.

I guess the question is: does a ride get run down because it is closing or does it close because it gets run down? Or is it a combo of the two?

Yes, get out your cameras, I'm about to say something negative... This happens all the time, and it bugs the heck out of me. When the decision is made to close an attraction (be it for sinkholes, low attendance, major rehab or whatever), less attention is payed to it maintenance wise. WDW maintenance is very good, top notch, but they only do what they are assigned to do. When Jungle Cruise was going down for the new boats and full overhaul, the decision was made that any problem not deemed show critical (something that would stop the ride completely) could be handled during the rehab. This meant that for 3 months prior, Jungle got more and more run-down looking, especially in the Amazon, which was to be completely replaced (btw, It looks better now than ever, but that's no excuse). As for things smelling bad (especially the monorail), I think you'll find one major commonality among things that occasionally are not as aromatically pleasant as possible: CARPET. Carpet alone will not smell bad, but when you add heavy seasonal rain and people who must walk rather than float an inch above the ground, you get wet carpet, which must be (and IS) cleaned. The problem is, It may start to smell bad on Tues, which incites a work order for cleaning on Friday. If you are in the area Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, you end up thinking,"Boy, this stinks! They're letting this place fall apart, I blame Eisner!!!" and that's usually the sentiment that ends up making the biggest... well, stink.. (I think we all saw that one coming).

ksdave, I 100% agree with you. I've discussed this before. (I think it was one of the points in my first argument with Landbaron)
Over the past couple years, there has been so many better oppertunities that Disney couldn't be as picky. Now in these rough economic times, when they do start hiring again (and they will eventually) They can afford to be picky. Every single company in the country that is hiring can afford to be the same way. they have an exact criteria for what they want and if you don't meet or exceed it, you will not be considered.

I don't think its an issue of Disney expanding too fast. Disneyland was having the same problems before DCA was built. They simply couldn't afford to be picky.

While there is a temporary hiring freeze currently in place, people are still being interviewed and queued for hiring as soon as possible. No operations, custodial, transportation, food and beverage, hotel ops, or recreation Cast Members have been layed off. Hours have been reduced temporarily, but that is not a layoff... it's an alternative. So, no, "Lots of people" have not been layed off (a couple of hundred out of 40,000 is not alot), and yes, there will be new CMs. Aren't facts fun?
:)

I have to say that during our trip, we just got home Sunday, I didn't really feel the effects of any cutbacks. We've never used EE mornings so that didn't affect us. The parks were clean, everywhere I looked there seemed to be a Cast Member doing something. A few rides were in need of touch ups. The Buzz ride really needs some work on the cars, I guess that's just from so much use. Some fences here and there need painting. Perhaps we didn't notice a lack of anything because of being in "off season." But as my hubby always says, the bottom line is money and if cut backs are needed, they have to be made. The 7500 employees that were laid off might have been jobs that really weren't needed to begin with, they might have overhired. This is a chance to have things were they should be staff wise. Of course the true test will come during peak seasons.

The main difference between these cutbacks and cutbacks in the past is that Disney used to do iits best to hide cutbacks from the guests. Now, Disney does not seem to care and is being pretty blantant about it. Hopefully, if attendance picks up some of these cutbacks will be reversed. I understand that E-Ticket will be availabe on two nights during Thanskgiving and if the parks are crowded enough, maybe EE will be restored.

You know all of the employees at Disney have been cut to a ridiculous 30 to 33 hours a week. You try to live on that and see if you have a smile on your face. My girlfriend works at Space Mountain and said tensions are so high because of money that one cast member said if the employee hours don't go up soon they will probably kill each other. I am noticing Disney is one of the cheapest companies in the United States. Also, of course you are on a down year. At the start of the Millenium Celebration there was a multitude of new attractions and shows. This 100 Years of Magic is a joke and a half. A woman at work said you can't add a new attraction every year, well I beg to differ. Six flags opened 18 new attractions at its parks last year and I will bet you probably 18 more this year. HELLO DISNEY, IF YOU WANT MORE PEOPLE BACK GIVE THEM SOMETHING THEY HAVEN'T ALREADY SEEN.

But just my observations.

You know US-SW, I'm Safari Steve doesn't need someone to defend him. I'm sure any of the other CMs don't either. But for the time I've been on the DIS I have yet to see a CM be disparaging or not know what they are talking about. From my stance, Steve has given us very good information. I'm not sure if you post on another name, but your post count is low so maybe you don't what type of info Steve gives us.

If some one was offered another job it was there choice to take it or not. It seems that Disney is trying to hold on to people as they weather the bad times we are all experinencing. I wish my company would have offered me 30-33 hours when they layed me off 5 months ago. But alas, they have closed.

It is too bad that Disneyworld is not what it was even three or four years ago. Last October we were there and the maintenance was terrible. Lot of lights were out on the buildings on Main Street. All through the property you could see bare wood and places that needed painting badly. Cushions were torn on the monorail. The great part of DW in the early days was how clean it was. I remember in 1983 that when someone dropped paper or anything else, a cast member immediately would clean it up. The rest rooms were always spotless.
In 1974 we were in the Magic Kingdom. When you waited in long lines in the hot weather air conditioning would keep you comfortale.
We will never see that again.

COP=Carousel of Progress

As far as a CM knowing what he or she is talking about, Safari Steve has been quite accurate in my experience. At least he's right there and knows SOMETHING unlike many of us, and I'm grateful that he's willing to post here.

By the way, I'm not a big Pooh fan myself but I love Eeyore. :p

Safari Steve rocks and as far as me and alot of people i know are concerned disney is still the ONLY theme park that i would actually still get on a plane or drive down the east coast to get to. Its still the ONLY CHOICE. I have a disney PREMIUM ANNUAL PASS and a SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE ANNUAL, i went to disney three times this year a total of 22 days and i went to six flags ONE FULL DAY and one half day because for the lack of a better word SIX FLAGS SUCKS i live 45 minutes from it, work 5 minutes from it and it never dawns on me to DROP BY. BUt on a spur of moment if the dough is there I call the call the gf and ask if she wants to go to the magic kingdom.

HAD TO EDIT with a good reason to let people know not to even engage in conversation with some other people when 99 percent of their post are negative towards disney and 100% universal. Seems weird someone can find almost no good in Disney. Yes the company is bad and management is bad and other ..things...are bad but i can still bring up some god things. Universal has good things too. I can see both sides. Safari Steve gives a lot of good and bad. I think some people work for Universal and want to bash Disney all they can.

When one person is totally to one side 100 negative on one issue they are usually just haters.

theres no ignore user selection i can choose here?

Alex, there is a "user ignore" function. Go to your User Control Panel and access your "ignore list". Type in the name(s) of the folks you do not wish to see posts from. That should do the trick.

joshl33

There is a very good reason that Disney doesn't build a new "E" ticket every year. That is Demographics. The Average Six Flaggs and similar park builds new Roller ocasters every year, because they have to. They offer nothing else. People just don't come back. its an expensive game to play. WDW and Disneyland have not ever played that game for 46 years. I don't think now is the time to start. People go back to Disney, because it provides so much more then rides. Which is not to say they shouldn't or don't need to expand, but that the pace doesn't need to be so hectic. If I had to pinpoint one failure of current managment, its that they don't understand the when and how of Disney expansion.

As to Defending Safari Steve, He needs none.
In any case, US-SW, Steve is smart enough to ignore someone who would make the comments you have.

YoHo,

Was I rude? If I came across that way I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention.

ACK, I'm sorry Eeyore2u, I meant to reverse that, let me edit the post. You, were in no way rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter