Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Wow, I can't believe someone stopped in the middle of the lane to take a picture! :sad2: Dangerous/dumb decisions on the road is a pet peeve of mine.

I've done that same thing before with the "leaving" time being an hour early. Way back when, I had to be in charge of bringing teams of college-age kids on road trips to conferences - I learned early on that I had to tell everyone we were leaving an hour before when I actually wanted to leave. I always felt bad when the on-time people started panicking, thinking we were "late". But it worked to get us out at the real time. ::yes::

Looking forward to hearing about your time under the WDW arches.

Hi everyone!

I just want to wish you all a Happy New Year! I'll try to get to replies sometime in the next couple of days. I'm sitting here using my chromebook, which is great for typing, but kind of a pain to copy and paste for replies.

Yes, I'm being boring and lame sitting here 10 minutes until midnight on the Dis. We found out today that both of our kids have the flu. So we had to cancel our NYE plans. At which time we found out that my wife's sister's kids have strep. And we learned later this afternoon that her brother's 1 month old also has the flu and is in the hospital.

So everyone is sick around here and it is just kind of blah... :sick: We were supposed to go to MiL's tomorrow for a late Christmas celebration with DW's aunts and cousins, but that has been cancelled as well. The Dr. prescribed Tamiflu to both DW and I as a preventative measure, but so far we've been fine. I just hope if we do get sick it happens soon so we have it over with before our California trip.

Anyway... I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2015.

Guess i'm boring too...but not as boring as you since I still have a couple hours to remedy my boringness;)

That's a total bummer about your kids. Hope they get better quick. I don't know how parents do it taking care of more than 1 sick child. You guys have patience, that's for sure. And praying the baby will be okay! That's so scary.

We've been sick for the past two weeks so we have been very boring too. I plan to go to bed soon so have a not so wild night planned.

Man, this seems like the right place to come to for support. Both the boys have been sick. Waiting to ring in the New Year (20 minutes to go), reading the boards while the kids sleep in our bed. A very bad habit that happens when they're sick that I wish we would have never started.

We'll be praying for your kiddos and your family. The flu's rough on little guys.

While you were DIS'ing, I was snoozing! :lmao: DH and I were in bed by 9 watching TV until we fell asleep at 10. Staying up till midnight on NYE just doesn't have that same appeal when you know your kid is still going to be up at 6:30 am.

So sorry to hear that the kids are sick. But at least you still have a buffer before your DL trip to get everyone feeling better. I had a dream about our upcoming DL trip last night, and of course everything was going wrong. Must mean the trip is getting closer!! :rotfl: I hope y'all have a great time!!

Aw, sorry to hear all the kiddos are sick. I hope you and your DW stay healthy and that the kiddos are all better for the big Disneyland trip!

Happy new year! I hope you have year full of good health and all good things, for you and your family.

Hi Andy! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Your kids are adorable. Sorry that they're under the weather. :(

Good job with the car. I too am guilty of the last minute bag :rolleyes1. Nice Mcqueen suitcase DSs have them too and I hate them because you can only fit like two days worth of clothes in them but, they are super cute especially rolling down the "road" at AOA. I can't believe someone actually stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture, what an idiot.

Sorry to hear the kids are sick and plans had to be cancelled. Here's hoping you and DW don't come down with it.

Happy New Year to your beautiful family.

Better for it all to hit now, as un fun as that is, and not impact your trip! Feel better!

You have some amazing packing skills. Holy cow...that was a long car trip especially with the delays. I got a little crazy on the 9 hour drive back to KC and its only my dog and I in the car. :)

What is with people losing all common sense?!?!? Stopping in the middle of a 3 lane highway is SUCH a great idea. *sigh*

I hope you guys are all feeling better! Happy New Year!

Jill in CO

Awesome work on packing the car...until your wife had 3 more bags! Of course you made it work though! Sounds like the drive went relatively smooth with the exception of the construction. Can't wait to hear more!

Between you and me, 9pm was my real target departure time anyway. :thumbsup2

I thought that I was the only one who did that! :rolleyes1

At around 8:45, DW finally walks into the kitchen.

With 3 more bags.

In addition to what I’d already loaded.

“I thought we were done loading the car?!?”

“Well, I couldn’t pack the things I wasn’t done with yet.”​

Yep, I've heard that one before. :sad2: It's usually a really big, heavy piece of luggage that would be perfect for the bottom of the tetris puzzle too.

Some idiot stopped in the right lane and had his door open, standing in the middle of the road taking a picture.

Unbelieveable. But unfortunately, I believe it.​

I'm here!!! A couple of days late, admittedly, but I'm excited to follow along on your trip!

Ugh - travel days are the worst! But the guy who stopped in the middle of the road, GOT OUT, and took pictures? Holy cow!!!! :eek:
:welcome: Glad you made it!

I couldn't believe it. At least make sure your car is completely on the shoulder and stand in front of it... not next to it in traffic.

I have to use that trick on myself!
:rotfl2: I just wish I'd remember to use it more often than I do.

:scared1: that is INSANE!
::yes::

Oh that drive sounded painful all around but I am totally cracking up at the 400,000 blur pictures that MIL may have taken. That the holding things in while trying to close the back of the car. BTDT!
I can only imagine what it looked like. I mean I could only hear her and I was practically rolling.

"Look an orange tree. And it has oranges on it!!!" beep-click, beep-click, beep-click, beep-click... to infinity. All while we're rolling by at about 60 mph. :rotfl2:

Gosh the kids look big in that picture with the tree!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm one to talk since I shrunk this year but wow, they are getting so big!
Yes... yes they are. It didn't really seem like it had been 2 years since our last trip, until I looked at the intro picture from the PTR and compared the 2.

YAY! y'all made it to WDW! :cool1:
That's what you think... I just ended at the edge of property. :rolleyes1

Glad y'all made it there safely especially with the idiot stopping in the road to take a picture. I mean, WHO DOES THAT?!? :confused3 That moron, obviously.
Apparently enough people that they put signs up and paint those "don't park here" white lines all over the shoulder. Maybe that's why he stopped in traffic. He didn't want to get a ticket for parking in the no parking area on the shoulder. :confused3 :lmao:

I'll need to remember your time trick for our upcoming Easter trip. My family of 3 is going with my sister's family of 6. :eek: My sister is never on time for anything. I always say she'll be late for her own funeral. I've already decided that I'm not even going to attempt to meet up with them in the mornings. I'll just say "text me when y'all get into the park". But, for other stuff, I may have to give her earlier meet times so that she may actually be on time. :thumbsup2
Good call... :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Sounds like the drive wasn't too bad. I can't believe someone stopped the car to get out and take a picture. In the middle of the highway. And it happens often enough that Disney put a sign up. Dummies.
I really wanted to buzz by him as close as I could. But that would have been pretty stupid of me. So I just settled for honking right behind him as I drove past and hopefully making him pee his pants. :confused3

Kudos on your Tetris skills. Although you should have expected the extra three bags. Women always pack extra things at the last minute (I say this as a woman who always packs a lot of extra things last minute - so I know what I'm talking about).
Oh, I assumed there would be more. But do you see how much room I still had in there? I thought we had tons of space. :rotfl2:

I'm going to go ahead and interject some probably unwanted advice - if you have a smartphone, you may want to download an app called Waze. It's a social GPS app where other users can report traffic & accidents, and it tracks how fast other Waze users are going - so it gives you alternate routes (sometimes on tiny side roads) that help you avoid a lot of traffic.
I've got that one! The problem with Louisville is that there are really only 2 ways across the river unless you take the bypass several miles out of the way. And I think we hit it just after they closed the 2 lanes, which is why the listed delay time just kept growing as we got to the traffic. By that time, we were pretty much committed to staying on the interstate.

Stupid people ... no matter how hard you try, you just can't avoid them (although, stopping to get a picture right next to a sign saying not to stop to take a picture is a special level of stupidity).
You said that eloquently. I like the special level of stupidity comment. The best description of him I could come up with when it happened wasn't very Dis friendly. :rotfl2:

At least you made it, even if you were late. It may have been 2 pm, but it was 2 pm AT DISNEY!!
Absolutely!!!!!

Hey Andy, thanks for the bat-signal! Just marking my place. I've had limited DIS time this week but will be back to catch up.
Yeah... enjoy your time off. We'll see you when you get back to work and have nothing but time on your hands to waste. :rolleyes1

Sounds like the drive wasn't too terrible, all things considered. So hard to believe those idiots who stop in the middle of the road for pictures of the sign. :sad2: I get being excited, but come on!! Looking forward to more.
It really wasn't too bad of a drive. You've got to expect to have some difficulties when you're traveling with a 2 year old and 4 year old. But all in all, it went relatively well.

That guy was just asking to get hit. Standing in a traffic lane... with your back to oncoming traffic. Really? :sad2:

I'm so guilty of bringing out extra bags to put in the car when everything is already packed :blush: Never trust us when we say 'everything' is packed ;)
Look, I expected there to be another bag or something. But 3 more??? :eek:

I also do the same thing as you. I told DH we needed to leave by 9am tomorrow, when my target time is 10am. It's always worked, and hoping our method won't let me down tomorrow :thumbsup2
Good luck!

What the heck?! That guy is such an idiot :furious:
Yep... pretty much. :sad2:

Like your tetras skills. Hope mine are working at about 2 am.
Nothing works right at 2 am... :rotfl2: Good luck!

Great looking family. Can't wait to hear more about the trip and the story related to the title. I'll be away from the DIS for the next few days(although I may try to post a few pictures on facebook and on my PTR.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND READERS!!party:
Thanks! Enjoy your trip!!!

Well, despite the little later start than you wanted, and the traffic jam, you didn't do too bad. Stopping for a lunch and stretching out was a pretty good idea.
Yeah, all in all, I can't really complain too much.

Seriously? Really? What the heck are people thinking? They stopped, got out of the car and took a picture? Talk about stupid and dangerous to all around.
Yeah. This guy deserves a Darwin award...

But you are at Disney and that is a great thing.

Wishing you and yours, a very

Thank you Kathy!

I can't wait to read along! I am going for my first trip since I was 3 in May. :D
Thanks for joining us! Congratulations on your upcoming trip. I think 1 or 2 things might have changed since your last trip... :rolleyes1

Ugh, construction is such a pain to have to deal with while traveling. 45 minutes is a long delay. At least it was knocked out early and there wasn't any more along the way.
Yeah, I'm just glad that it didn't start a trend for the drive.

Ahhh, Lake City...Landon and I are best friends with the Chick FiL A in that city. That's our halfway spot between home and Disney, and we stop there every trip. It's not a bad place to take a break...
If only Lake City was our halfway point... :lmao:

We always stop somewhere near Lake City, but for us it is more of one last stop to grab some gas and food before we get to Disney!

I don't envy you the "the kid is OVER the car seat" problem. They have no idea why they can't sit in mom or dad's lap, and there's nothing much you can do besides park somewhere for a bit.
Yeah, DD has been getting bad about that lately. She wants what she wants when she wants it and nothing else matters. I guess that is why they call it the terrible twos. Of all the concerns I have about flying to California, keeping her from making the flight miserable for everyone on the plane probably stresses me the most.

A person was out in the road?!? What the what?!? Who would even think that was remotely safe. I've seen a million people ignore the sign and slow down before, but your situation takes the cake. How crazy...
Your National Lampoon reference was completely justified.
Yeah. I'd just roll my eyes and drive past if he had stopped on the shoulder and stood in front of his car or something. But this moron made no effort to even get out of traffic.

I never tell Fran the "real" time we're supposed to leave! :thumbsup2
This really is starting to feel like a support group. We all love Disney and lie about when we have to leave! :thumbsup2

I don't know how you got that many people in that little SUV stuffed so full of all that luggage!
I don't know. But I was driving, so I didn't have to worry about the rest of them. :lmao:

Sounds like a lot of PITAs, but at least you got there and some people got some sleep.
Yeah, it worked out pretty well, overall.

Good call to stop for a good breakfast. Getting out of the car and sitting in a place always helps the attitude. I know that I HATE sitting in a car eating a burger off my lap. Even worse is a McDonald's Breakfast Platter! Some day, I'll have to visit a Cracker Barrel. People keep talking about them in their TRs. I know they're kind of like a Denny's, Coco's or Carrows, but still I would like to try one.
Ok. I don't know Coco's or Carrows. But I do know Denny's. And I wouldn't even compare Denny's to Cracker Barrel. :rotfl2:

DS's 2 favorite restaurants are Mc Donalds and Cracker Barrel. Ask him where he wants to eat and you're sure to get one of those for the answer.

At least you made it to Disney property, and that guy taking a picture stopped on the side of the road is a total IDIOT!
It was great to arrive. And if there weren't people like that Idiot, TR's would be boring. :rotfl2:

Hi Andy! Willow and I wanted to stop by and wish you a ....

All the best in 2015 to you and your family!
Thank you! I hope the new year is off to a great start for both of you as well!

mmmmmm..... I dunno..... I see a few inches of empty space here and there.
And when there's space, that means we've got room for more crap!:thumbsup2

3 bags....

each.
No, they actually held to their word. :lmao:

won't tell her.... but I'm betting she already knows.
As long as it works...

Those DWs are sneaky.

Way sneakier than us.
::yes::

don't know where I read it, but I agree with it.
I'd read/heard that a shower was a close substitution for sleep.

As a shift worker, I can attest to that.
Makes sense.

That'll learn ya!
One of these days...

See? Toldja.
:headache:

Children going to WDW going crazy?

Who'd've guessed?

:rolleyes1
I know, I mean just when you think you've heard of everything.

And you were surprised by this??

Silly guy.
Surprised??? Not in the least. Frustrated, ticked off, impatient... you bet:thumbsup2.

It has taken me years to learn this.
Male logic and female logic are not the same thing.
You don't say?

You were??

Um.... congratulations?
Well, if you're here to look for typos, you shouldn't have to look too hard. :lmao:

Leaving plenty of room for souvenirs!!!

Possibly not.
Apparently, I'm expected to make room.

Uh, huh.

If my GPS says 11am, I'll hope to get there by supper time.
Personally, I like to race the GPS. I always notice the ETA when I leave the driveway so that I know what my target is to beat! :thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Belk Bowl?
Is that like a big elk?
Could be for all I know. :rotfl2:

D'oh! Oh, well. At least you can have a nap now, right?
Probably should have, we certainly weren't moving much.

Happened to me after about 14 hours of driving.
Pulling into Chicago around 1am, looking forward to stopping for the night....
Nope.
Add another hour onto the trip.
I hate it when that happens. :headache:

:laughing: Talk about putting a damper on the trip!
It was clear that the GPS was going to win this one...

Too much excitement.
That'll teach us to wake them up for a potty break. Next time we'll just hand them an empty bottle.

And no, this is not how the TR got it's title.

<phew>! Bet you were worried, though.
Nah... I knew she was going to crash hard eventually. My only concern was that it happened before the rest of us lost our sanity.

Oooh, that sounds like an insult to Georgia.
"So! What did you think of our fair State? Didja like it?"
"Nah, I was so bored I slept through the whole thing."

Actually, I liked Georgia quite a bit when we drove through it.
Of course it was daylight... That helps.
I do enjoy driving through Georgia. I love seeing the cotton fields and agriculture areas in south central GA.

But it does take F-o-r-e-v-e-r to drive the length of that state.

[/QUOTE]
Still, not bad.[/QUOTE]
Not bad. But there goes the pool time we were hoping for that afternoon.

Oh boy. I'm sure everyone appreciated that too! :rolleyes:
Actually we did. It wasn't so much whiny as it was excitement. And that excitement is why we were going to Disney World to begin with! :thumbsup2

Tell her she has to frame them all.
She couldn't afford a frame that big.

Ah. Because I was wondering where the SUV with the trailer was.
That picture was actually taken by my mom. I was driving the vehicle going under the sign. :thumbsup2

:eek: What???
I guess he figured that nobody uses that particular road....

:sad2:
What? You mean people actually come to this Mickey Mouse place??

:lmao: Love that movie!
One of the best... ever!

[/QUOTE]Thanks for the chapter! :goodvibes[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reading it. :rotfl2:

disneynewyear_zpsc13efc89.jpg

Happy New Year Andy!
Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Wow, I can't believe someone stopped in the middle of the lane to take a picture! :sad2: Dangerous/dumb decisions on the road is a pet peeve of mine.
It was beyond stupid. At least there wasn't much traffic at the time, so we were able to get into the left lane and get around... but what an idiot.

I've done that same thing before with the "leaving" time being an hour early. Way back when, I had to be in charge of bringing teams of college-age kids on road trips to conferences - I learned early on that I had to tell everyone we were leaving an hour before when I actually wanted to leave. I always felt bad when the on-time people started panicking, thinking we were "late". But it worked to get us out at the real time. ::yes::
I hate being late. I'd be one of the ones that showed up at the designated time and then been an absolutely nervous wreck. :rotfl:

Looking forward to hearing about your time under the WDW arches.
Thanks!

Guess i'm boring too...but not as boring as you since I still have a couple hours to remedy my boringness;)

That's a total bummer about your kids. Hope they get better quick. I don't know how parents do it taking care of more than 1 sick child. You guys have patience, that's for sure. And praying the baby will be okay! That's so scary.
Everybody is getting better. DD still has a low grade fever though.

We've been sick for the past two weeks so we have been very boring too. I plan to go to bed soon so have a not so wild night planned.
I've been staying up late, yet we can't sleep anyway with kids constantly waking us, so what does it matter? :confused3 :lmao:

Man, this seems like the right place to come to for support. Both the boys have been sick. Waiting to ring in the New Year (20 minutes to go), reading the boards while the kids sleep in our bed. A very bad habit that happens when they're sick that I wish we would have never started.

We'll be praying for your kiddos and your family. The flu's rough on little guys.
Seems like this year has been a rough one. All kinds of bugs going around. At least we didn't get the puking one yet. That is always the worst!

While you were DIS'ing, I was snoozing! :lmao: DH and I were in bed by 9 watching TV until we fell asleep at 10. Staying up till midnight on NYE just doesn't have that same appeal when you know your kid is still going to be up at 6:30 am.
Yuck... at least our kids are night owls like us. We have a hard time getting them to bed, but they sure do know how to sleep in. :lmao:

So sorry to hear that the kids are sick. But at least you still have a buffer before your DL trip to get everyone feeling better. I had a dream about our upcoming DL trip last night, and of course everything was going wrong. Must mean the trip is getting closer!! :rotfl: I hope y'all have a great time!!
Hopefully we'll get everyone better quickly! DD still has a low grad fever, yet she is acting a lot better.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has those dreams. :lmao:

Hope everyone gets to feeling better real soon!
Me too! Thanks!

Aw, sorry to hear all the kiddos are sick. I hope you and your DW stay healthy and that the kiddos are all better for the big Disneyland trip!

Happy new year! I hope you have year full of good health and all good things, for you and your family.
So far DW and I have been ok. DS seems to be over it, but DD still has a fever. She just can't shake it.

Thank you! I wish you the best in this New Year as well!

Hi Andy! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Your kids are adorable. Sorry that they're under the weather. :(
:welcome:

Thanks! Hopefully we'll rebound and be ready to hit California running!

Good job with the car. I too am guilty of the last minute bag :rolleyes1. Nice Mcqueen suitcase DSs have them too and I hate them because you can only fit like two days worth of clothes in them but, they are super cute especially rolling down the "road" at AOA. I can't believe someone actually stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture, what an idiot.
Yeah, Lightning is a little bit on the small side. We actually just put all our swim gear in it this time.

It was interesting to see... I mean if you're going to do it at least try to get out of the traffic lanes.

Sorry to hear the kids are sick and plans had to be cancelled. Here's hoping you and DW don't come down with it.

Happy New Year to your beautiful family.
We're doing fine so far... I don't know how, I always catch everything the kids get. :rotfl:

Thanks!

Better for it all to hit now, as un fun as that is, and not impact your trip! Feel better!
Oh yeah, definitely! DW has been anal about the hand sanitizer and trying to avoid being around other kids, except for family, ever since we got home. I was kind of thinking it was overkill. I figured that we're going to get it eventually, so might as well get it over with before we have to leave!

You have some amazing packing skills. Holy cow...that was a long car trip especially with the delays. I got a little crazy on the 9 hour drive back to KC and its only my dog and I in the car. :)
:rotfl2: You know, I don't mind driving at all. I can handle long drives like that with no problem. As long as other passengers aren't driving me nuts. :lmao:

What is with people losing all common sense?!?!? Stopping in the middle of a 3 lane highway is SUCH a great idea. *sigh*
He just needed to make sure he had that perfect picture for his TR. :rotfl:

I hope you guys are all feeling better! Happy New Year!

Jill in CO
I think we're close! DD just needs to shake that fever!

Happy New Year! I hope the kids bounce back quickly! :goodvibes
Thanks! They're making good progress.

Awesome work on packing the car...until your wife had 3 more bags! Of course you made it work though! Sounds like the drive went relatively smooth with the exception of the construction. Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! At least the bags she added were soft sided, didn't have anything breakable and they weren't huge.

I thought that I was the only one who did that! :rolleyes1
Well, based on all these replies, apparently just about all the Dis'ers I know have to to this to their families. Do you think this has something to do with all us trip planners being type A? :lmao:

Yep, I've heard that one before. :sad2: It's usually a really big, heavy piece of luggage that would be perfect for the bottom of the tetris puzzle too.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Fortunately, that wasn't the case. It was soft sided bags that could be squished. You may think those guys at the airport can crush a bag, but they've got nothing on me!

Unbelieveable. But unfortunately, I believe it.
Yep. Why else would they have a sign and those white "don't park here dummy" stripes on the shoulder? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter